Profile for Re Shepherd > Reviews

Content by Re Shepherd

Re Shepherd "pig farmer" (UK)

Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010)
Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010)
Dvd ~ Natalie Portman
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute trash, 7 Jun 2011
I bought this film because my wife had read all the hype and seen all the awards. We sat down to watch it with great anticipation. We were stunned by the awfulness of it. First it was a disappointment then it just became hilariously funny.Portman is like an elephant and so the switch from her to her double, who obviously did 99% of the dancing, was so obvious it could have been done by Dick Emery. The plot was so confusing I don't think any of the cast really understood it. The rest of the film was simply disjointed, overlong and ultimately boring. I really don't understand what all the fuss was about. In future Academy awards will be my sign to avoid films.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2011 10:10 AM BST

MIZUNO Wave Harrier 3 Unisex Trail Running Shoes, Blue/Yellow, UK10.5
MIZUNO Wave Harrier 3 Unisex Trail Running Shoes, Blue/Yellow, UK10.5

4.0 out of 5 stars great value grip, 12 Dec 2010
Just bought these mizunos having run in Nike frees for a while to see if the new idea about minimalist running shoes was going to work for me (it didn't!).
I tend to run for 2hrs cross-country so was fed up with sliding about. These shoes really have the best grip I have ever felt, and I've tried loads of different trail shoes. It is almost stud-like.They look fine, have reinforcement where my toes tend to wear through the uppers, and are comfy. This morning my running companions were sliding all over the place but the mizunos just held firm, a great shoe at a great price

Camelbak Classic Hydration Pack (Blue)
Camelbak Classic Hydration Pack (Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars basic water supply, 2 Jan 2010
I bought two of these to complete the 100km Hong Kong Trailwalker
Very robust, very comfortable. Adequate capacity. The only small complaint would be the lack of any storage space other than a tiny zipped compartment and some elastic webbing- I just could have done with a bit more room for gels/bars etc

Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession: A Story of Fell Running and Obsession
by Richard Askwith

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 2 Jan 2010
I love long distance cross country running, looking at beautiful scenery and pushing my unfit body to it's mid-life limits. So Richard's book appealed to me.
He was a southern city-dweller who discovered a quirky, left-field sport where the satisfaction is in the participation and the cameraderie of like-minded loonies. The people at the fore-front of this sport are almost super-human, but as RA points out they couldn't win without the many also-rans who make up the rest of the field-people like you and I.
The history of this unsung sport with it's trully olympian competitors is covered in detail along with Richard's personal obsession with completing the Bob Graham Round (a 42 peak, 72 mile run in the Lake District to be completed in 24 hours). The fact that it takes him 3 attempts and a lot of blood, sweat and tears makes it all the more interesting.
Also, as he is a London journalist and not the type to be customarily accepted by Northern hard-nuts (or any of us for that matter),with a London journalist's perspective, makes it all the more enjoyable read.
It illustrates how a mutual enthusiasm for such a natural, down-to-earth pursuit creates bonds that would otherwise lay dormant.
A great read

The Carbon Fields: How Our Countryside Can Save Britain
The Carbon Fields: How Our Countryside Can Save Britain
by Graham Harvey

1.0 out of 5 stars A little knowledge is dangerous, 26 Nov 2009
As a farmer who actually practises grass ley, livestock/arable rotations I was frankly disturbed by Harvey's book. The book is so repetitive it could have been summed up in one chapter but we have to listen to him woffling on, repeating his one simple mantra over and over from different angles for a whole book, slightly changing his theory until even he must have been confused.
There is simply nothing new about his "solution to all world problems" farming method- it was developed by the likes of Turnip Townshend in the 18th century.
Harvey claims that we must go back to the mobile milking bale a la Hosier, is he insane? Every environmentalist and animal welfare beardy would be against the results of this (the very people Harvey is sucking up to in his book)
Harvey cites the American farmer who is producing tons of pork from his "pasture system"- since when have we been able to fatten pigs on grass?
He cannot decide whether he is for organic farming or not
He thinks that undersown grass/clover leys will provide sufficient nitrogen to supply the crop undersown! We have been growing undersown cereals for 50 years so know how mad this theory is.
I don't know if Harvey has any formal agricultural training but it seems not, he has obviously interviewed a load of cranks and taken their word as wisdom, he should consider his position as agricultural editor of the Archers.
There is a small percentage of wealthy middle-class Guardian readers (probably journalists like Harvey) who can afford to indulge in his pipe-dream, everyone else sadly inhabits the real world.
I am a fully paid up grassland farmer and sadly Harveys evangelical, misinformed rant can only have done our cause immense harm in the eyes of big agri-business who need a qualified scientific opposition not this kind of codswallop. Read this book with a large pinch of salt
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2011 3:52 PM BST

Sideways [DVD]
Sideways [DVD]
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

5.0 out of 5 stars sensational taste, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Sideways [DVD] (DVD)
A trully marvellous film that I watched by accident on a plane to the States. I love this film and can watch it repeatedly. Mid-life crisis meets road-movie meets stag weekend, all with the sophisticated backdrop of a wine-tasting trip. It is quite hilarious in parts but also dry as a bone. The groom to be having to make up an excuse for his broken nose decides his best man's car must show signs of a road accident, the result sums up the tragic and comic nature of thyis film. Watch it.

Sexy Beast [DVD] [2001]
Sexy Beast [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars great entertainment, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Sexy Beast [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
A wonderful film, not too heavy duty and easy to watch. Winstone shows himself to be multi-dimensional as the retired villain who justs wants an easy retirement until his worst nightmare, in the form of Ben kingsley, re-appears in his life. The film flows smoothly and Kingsley is awesome as the gangster-thug who obviously doesn't quite understand the effect his autistic personality has on others. McShane the uber-villain is great and the final payment to Winstone for the job he does sums up the whole deal. Watch it!

Chasseur Casserole, round, 26cm, 5.0ltr Chilli Red
Chasseur Casserole, round, 26cm, 5.0ltr Chilli Red

5.0 out of 5 stars easy cook, 1 Feb 2009
since buying our casserole we have fed the family numerous delicious stews, this is an ideal way to use up anything left in the fridge. The casserole is very robust and of extremely high quality.

On the Smell of an Oily Rag ~ My 50 Years in Farming
On the Smell of an Oily Rag ~ My 50 Years in Farming
by John Cherrington

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 9 Jan 2009
A must read for all Hampshire farmers. I really enjoyed the style and I just wish I had read it twenty years ago.

The Believers
The Believers
by ZoŽ Heller

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 9 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Believers (Hardcover)
I only give it two stars because I did manage to finish it.
I really like Zoe Heller but she failed with this book. It is utterly depressing and the characters are utterly implausible. Audrey's character makes my mother in law looks like an angel.I gained absolutely nothing from reading it.