Profile for cplee43 > Reviews

Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler, 16 Ounces, Silver
Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler, 16 Ounces, Silver
Offered by Gizoo - Gadgets & Gifts

2.0 out of 5 stars This does NOT keep drinks hot for 4 hours!, 9 Dec. 2012
Please be aware that this unit does NOT keep drinks hot for 4 hours. I purchased this for my astronomy sessions out in the cold. I use hot chocolate as my drink so the rubber taste others comment on did not affect me. I tried two approachs. The first time I poured in the hot chocolate at drinkable temp but slightly hotter than comfortable. I then did not open for a sip for an hour. The heat clearly passed through the rubber top as it becomes warm. The drink was lukewarm to hot. I then sipped again after two hours and by now the drink was lukewarm at best. Three hours and it was cold. The next time I tried with boiling hot chocolate and resisted openning until 3 hours. Cold.

On the plus side it does not leak and is very handy to hold and sip. However it fails vs the thermos flask I have and is twice the price. Marketing hype wins again. Only purchase if you wish to consume your beverage within the 1-2 hr timeframe...

Discover the Moon
Discover the Moon
by Jean Lacroux

5.0 out of 5 stars A very practical observer's guide, 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Discover the Moon (Paperback)
I was very surprised to find, while surfing Amazon for lunar obsrving manuals,that this "Discover the Moon" had not been reviewed. I have had this for 5 years and consider it far and away the best value lunar guide an amateur observer can obtain so I thought I might as well say so in a review! My main requirement was for a book that would allow you to hunt intelligently for targets over each day of the lunar cycle and to have enough interest to keep going back as you visit the moon across different observing sessions. Other books I have found tend to focus on images and alphabet listings but this is of limited assistance when you want to plan an observing session on a particular night. The book is therefore mainly divided into daily oberserving sessions from new to full and could be used in reverse from full to old. Each daily session has an image of the moon for Reflectors/Refractors with N/S reversed. This "context map" is then boxed by more detailed zoom maps of specific regions and these are discussed over 4/5 pages per daily session. They give clear lunar images with annotations. The descriptive passages are imaginative and not overly technical. They include annecdotes to add to the general interest (ie a call out box on Hipparchus and its place in Tintin Folkore). The book is A5 size, robust for field use and includes a fold out page marker to ease use. The early chapters address obligatory words on telescopes and lunar theory but to me the great merit is in the daily record of objects of interest. It is far, far more usable than any similar book (especially North's) and coupled with a good field map like Sky and Telescope, the amateur astronomy is set to go... I have looked over the years for equivalent books and have never found anything as useful.

British Tour 76
British Tour 76
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars The Great Days of the Band, 30 Oct. 2009
This review is from: British Tour 76 (Audio CD)
I followed Renaissance since the late 70's and when I saw the CD I thought it would be a bit of nostalgia to get it. I was concerned about the recording as I have heard duff "live" jobs before. I should not have worried. The tracks (every one) are fresh and clear - more like their Live Album at Carnegie Hall. Naturally this takes me back but also shows what a truly outstanding band they were. There seemed to be less "chat" with the audience from Jon Camp than I remembered from similar gigs- basically it's "let's get on with the music".