Profile for Douglas W > Reviews

Nagaoka No. 102 Anti-Static Record Sleeves: Pack of 50
Nagaoka No. 102 Anti-Static Record Sleeves: Pack of 50
Offered by Joe-Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective sleeves., 22 Feb. 2016
I recently cleaned all my older records in a liquid bath. I decided that it only made sense to put them back into clean sleeves.These fit inside the original paper or card inner sleeves. They really do seem to produce less static electricity when you withdraw the record.

Rega EAR MK2 Headphone Amplifier Black
Rega EAR MK2 Headphone Amplifier Black
Offered by Sevenoaks Sound and Vision, Yeovil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable sound at this price., 13 Feb. 2016
I am listening to digital music files in Apple lossless format stored on a Mac Mini and played through a Rega Dac-R to a Rega Mira amplifier. I attach the Rega Ear MK2 headphone amplifier to the Mira tape out sockets and listen with a set of AKG K550 Mk2 headphones. The sound is stunning and remarkable for the price. All the instruments stand out rather than just becoming part of a musical backdrop. I particularly like the way vocals sound.

AKG K550 MKII Premium Foldable Closed Back Over-Ear Headphones - Black
AKG K550 MKII Premium Foldable Closed Back Over-Ear Headphones - Black
Offered by ECAS DEALS_1

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to believe such sound quality is available at this price., 13 Feb. 2016
I am listening to digital music in Apple Lossless files from a Mac Mini through a Rega DAC-R into a Rega Ear 2 headphone amplifier. The AKG K550 MkII headphones sound stunning and are truly amazing value.

ScanGauge II Fuel Trip Computer with XGauge
ScanGauge II Fuel Trip Computer with XGauge

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy as a water temperature gauge and also to read engine fault codes., 31 Jan. 2016
I bought this to monitor the water temperature on a 2008 BMW 330D diesel with 70,000 miles on the clock. BMW thermostats are prone to fail before 100,000 miles and if they do so stick open causing the engine to run cool. If this happens the diesel particulate filter will not regenerate and become blocked, which is about £1000 to replace. These cars do not have a water temperature gauge so the ScanGauge II is very reassuring. It also can show a whole range of other parameters.

It can also read car fault codes. My wife's 2003 Mini developed a starting problem at 90,000 miles. The ScanGauge II recorded a fault code which I looked up on the Internet. It was a failed O2 sensor. It was reassuring that when I took it to the garage that that is what they also diagnosed and charged me for.

All in all it is a great buy.

Crucial BX100 1 TB SATA 2.5 inch Internal Solid State Drive - Grey
Crucial BX100 1 TB SATA 2.5 inch Internal Solid State Drive - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased the install kit which made the transfer of the operating system and data from the existing hard disk very easy. the, 31 Jan. 2016
This has transformed the performance of a 5 year old Dell Precision 6500 mobile work station. I purchased the install kit which made the transfer of the operating system and data from the existing hard disk very easy. the computer restarted first time. I thoroughly recommend this upgrade.

NETGEAR N900 Universal 4 Port Smart TV, Video and Gaming Wi-Fi Adapter - Black
NETGEAR N900 Universal 4 Port Smart TV, Video and Gaming Wi-Fi Adapter - Black
Offered by Attari_Traders

5.0 out of 5 stars An effective way to link ethernet devices to your wifi network., 29 Jan. 2016
The Netgear N900 wifi network adapter has allowed me to connect a network printer, a desktop PC and two NAS drives using ethernet cables to the device at the far end of the house (but still within the range of the main router/wifi transmitter). Everything has worked faultlessly. I stream Apple lossless audio files from one of the NAS drives and it easily copes with that while other people are web browsing or indeed using the printer.

KabelDirekt 10m HDMI Cable (1080p 4K 3D High Speed with Ethernet ARC) - PRO Series

5.0 out of 5 stars An effective solution if your players and other boxes are some distance from the TV., 29 Jan. 2016
This is a great quality cable which is less bulky and more flexible than a previous 10m cable from another supplier. There is an excellent picture despite the cable length.

KabelDirekt 4K HDMI Switch 3 x 1 ( 1080p 4K 3D HDCP) with remote control & integrated HDMI repeater - PRO Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Works excellently with some display devices but not all., 29 Jan. 2016
For the price this was excellently finished in quality materials. Unfortunately it did not work with my Samsung UE55ES8000 HD smart TV so 0 stars for that. The Samsung TV recognises a cable from the Switch is connected to its HDMI input because it gives that HDMI input as an option on the TV's input select menu. However, when I select it I get a "No Signal" message on the TV. I have tried all the options related to HDMI in the Samsung's setup menu without success. I emailed KabelDirekt's support number but have not had a reply 5 days later so I am returning the item.

However, the switch worked perfectly with a borrowed Epson TW2000 HD projector when connected to a Panasonic DMR-BWT735 Blu-ray Disc recorder, a Mac Mini with El Capitan OS and a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and I would give it 5 stars for use with that gear.

Edit.
I have now received a most helpful email from KabelDirekt's customer support. They apologised for the delay in reply. In addition to helpful technical advice (they suggested an HDMI amplifier might help) they offered a refund or an exchange. They also offered a further refund if the exchange did not work or if I decided to add an amplifier and it did not work. KabelDirekt are clearly an excellent company. I suspect the problem lies with my Samsung TV rather than the switch. I originally awarded 3 stars but have changed this to 5 in view of the excellent customer support.

Logitech Harmony Hub
Logitech Harmony Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with a wide variety of type and age of equipment but not all., 29 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Hub (Accessory)
This worked with a variety of 14 year old HiFi equipment and recent smart TV and Bluray recorder. It did not work with a 2015 Rega DAC-R HiFi digital to analogue converter despite the fact that it was listed in the Harmony database. Logitech's support line answered promptly and were very helpful. They checked that the DAC-R file on my account was not corrupted and concluded that a previous customer had entered the I/R code incorrectly. They said they would try and track down the code but it might take some time. I said I would try and borrow a remote control from my supplier (a lot of Rega HiFi gear is IR enabled but not supplied with a remote). The supplier gave me a remote FOC and I used it to program the Harmony Hub. This was quite tricky as it took multiple attempts before the Hub read the Rega remote signal correctly. Now I have a fully functional and effective remote.

PS I wrote the above too soon. I still have problems with the Hub control of the REGA DAC-R. Although I apparently got it working, any time I exited then restarted the Harmony app or if I switched the DAC-R off and on the Hub could no longer change the DAC-R input. Strangely, if I used the REGA remote control to change the input the hub regained control until the next time something was switched off. The local HiFi shop kindly swapped the £600 DAC-R in case it was at fault. The problem persisted with the second DAC-R so I have reluctantly returned the item. Even though it works with my other items it defeats the point of a universal remote control if it fails to work with one item that is central to the system. I would still give the Harmony Hub 5*, if it works with all your equipment. However, it is difficult to know in advance if it will. Before I bought I checked on the Logitech website and the Rega DAC-R was listed as compatible. However, it was clear from talking to Logitech's very helpful customer support that not all the equipment in the Harmony database has been tested for compatibility by Logitech. My non functional edit of the Rega DAC-R IR code is now in the Harmony database and will be downloaded by some future Rega DAC-R owner... I am grateful for Amazon's excellent and convenient returns system.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A cheap way to add USB ports to an older laptop but do not expect USB3 speeds., 26 Mar. 2015
I could not get this to work with the supplied drivers on the mini CD on my Win 7 64bit Dell precision 6500 laptop. First of all I had to go to an old computer which had a CD reader with a tray (as the slot CD drives do not take mini CDs). There were no instructions with the supplied drivers, which were in multiple folders on the mini CD. I tried them all without success.

I then went to the Frescologic website http://www.frescologic.com/support.php and downloaded the file: FLUSB3.0-3.6.4.0.exe (which was not on the supplied mini CD). It now worked straight away. The "USB3" ports do not supply enough power for external USB powered hard disks but work fine with disks with their own power supplies or USB flash drives.

Copying files from the computer HDD to an external USB3 4GB Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive with a USB3 cable connected to the Express card to USB3.0, the transfer rate for 7.8GB of camera RAW files was 48.9MB/s which is exactly the same as when connected to the computer's existing USB2.0 ports.

In answer to points raised by other reviewers above, my card does not run too hot and yes it is very (too) easy to remove the card when pulling out a usb cable.

The price is great and delivery from China took only 6 days. It is a very cheap way of adding non powered USB ports to an older laptop where perhaps existing USB 2.0 ports are damaged. I did not see any increase in speed over USB 2.0.

Page: 1 | 2