Profile for Peter Millard > Reviews

Content by Peter Millard

Peter Millard (London UK)

Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous. Faultless. Finally!, 8 April 2014
I have a workshop across the street from where I live, and on a good day I can *just* about pick my home wifi if I stand at my workshop door with my arm outstretched. I have tried and tried to extend my wifi by bridging the signal through other routers, without any success - the flakey wifi signal just doesn't make it far enough for them to grab on and stay connected. So as a last-ditch effort I tried this Netgear extender - and what a fabulously simple little thing it is. Literally, power it up, hit the WPS button on the Netgear, then on your home router (and Top Tip from a previous reviewer about the Virgin Superhub button - many thanks!) and boom! Connected.

That's it! The whole process takes about a minute, maybe two. Honestly, if you're having any doubts about the simplicity or effectiveness of this WiFi extender, don't - just buy it. It really is that good.

Hope this helps. Peter.

iHome iDM12 Rechargeable Portable Bluetooth Speaker System for iPad/iPhone/iPod
iHome iDM12 Rechargeable Portable Bluetooth Speaker System for iPad/iPhone/iPod
Offered by ExpressPro
Price: 34.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding little speakers for the money!, 19 Mar 2013
I wanted a set of rechargeable Bluetooth speakers that I didn't mind getting a little beaten up - I have the Jawbone Jambox (excellent, btw) but as I refurbish interiors I'm a little twitchy about using it in a hostile environment - dust, paint spatter etc...

So I picked up these little iHome speakers, not expecting too much tbh, but cheap enough to be semi-disposable if they didn't work out. Wow, did I ever underestimate these speakers! They are fantastic - great sound and loud too, pairing easily with all my iDevices. Battery life is excellent; when I'm working I can easily be streaming music or podcasts ~6 hours a day, and I've never managed to run these flat - I've taken to charging them every three days, just as a precaution.

The Jambox has a few more features and probably a little more bass, but these are a very credible alternative IMHO - throw the purchase price into the equation, and it's a no-brainer!

Plantronics K100 Bluetooth In Car Speakerphone Visor Kit
Plantronics K100 Bluetooth In Car Speakerphone Visor Kit
Price: 35.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit at a bargain price, 7 Jan 2012
This little bit of tech works really well and cost a fraction of what I recently spent on a fitted bluetooth upgrade for my car; I didn't want to spend another few hundred quid putting bluetooth in my van, so took a chance on one of these and have been very pleased. You get decent quality sound from both sides, and FM streaming to the stereo works surprisingly well, both for phone calls and music/podcasts. Battery life is very impressive, and you even get a car charger included in the price - best of all, you can take it with you when you change vehicles!

If you're in your motor 10 hours a day, then by all means spend the money and have a bespoke system fitted, but if your in-car needs are relatively modest - catching up with a podcast on the school run, or just want to keep stay legal whilst driving, then buy one of these - you won't be sorry.

In Car Mobile Phone and PDA Holder (Universal Suction, Flexible Neck Mount)
In Car Mobile Phone and PDA Holder (Universal Suction, Flexible Neck Mount)
Offered by Bentley's Bargain Warehouse
Price: 2.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke the first time I used it!, 4 Jan 2012
This is a terrible quality item in my experience. I've had a few in-car mounts for my iphones, some expensive, some cheap, and never had a particular problem with any of them - but this one broke the first time I used it. When you mount this on the windscreen, there's a 'tensioner' that pulls the sucker into shape and keeps it in place on the glass, and first time out this part snapped clean off; it wasn't being forced or treated badly, it's just badly made. Maybe mine was a 'lemon' - the rest of the kit seems OK - but this one part is fundamental to the operation of the unit, and it failed at the first try; I won't be buying another.

Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia Sound System
Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia Sound System
Offered by home AV direct
Price: 99.90

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star sound but 3 star cable management..., 2 Mar 2011
OK, first off these sound fantastic, they're a great price, and set-up is a doddle - thought the 'hidden' volume control had me flummoxed for a few minutes! My gripe is that the satellite cables are incredibly short - barely 1.8metres. With many 'satellite and sub' speaker packages one of the satellites daisy-chains its connection off the other, but with the Soundstick 3s both satellite speakers have to connect directly to the sub, and as attractive as it is I don't want it sat in the middle of my sitting-room!

One of the satellites connects with a regular phono cable so it can be extended without too much trouble if you use a good quality shielded cable, but the other has a weirdy-looking proprietary cable that doesn't seem to be available anywhere - and Harmon Kardon Customer Services were quite snooty about the idea that anyone might want to change their perfect design just to fit into my living space! This lack of cable-length could be quite serious if, say, you wanted to put the satellites on top of a bookcase as the sub needs to be on the floor, so it's something to bear in mind and well worth spending five minutes with a tape measure if you're buying them unseen.

That said, apart from this niggle they sound truly fantastic, and have improved the sound from my TV beyond all recognition. Highly recommended, provided they fit!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2012 12:50 PM GMT

Roberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built-in Battery Charger - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice radio, 15 Sep 2009
Nice radio, not too big, but delivers decent sound and volume. Personally I find it a bit bass-heavy (I like my sounds a bit 'brighter') but very listenable, overall. My only niggle is with the 'low battery' warning light, which lights up 40 seconds (yes, I timed it, in disbelief...) before the unit shuts down! This is completely useless - why not put a battery level indicator in the LCD? Crazy!

Aside from that it's a nice little unit; battery life on rechargables is OK for a DAB, and adding stations to the memory doesn't require the handbook! What more do you need?

HTH, Pete

LUPO USB Power Adapter UK Mains Charger for all Apple Ipods & Iphone
LUPO USB Power Adapter UK Mains Charger for all Apple Ipods & Iphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice compact USB charger, 16 Aug 2008
This is a nice, compact charger for an iPod or other USB device - lightweight but well made, cheap but not nasty, and very promptly dispatched. No problems at all - so good, in fact, I bought two...

Hope this helps, Peter Millard.