Profile for D miles > Reviews

Content by D miles

D miles "Vicky40" (West Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Time and Time Again
Time and Time Again

4.0 out of 5 stars Good theory, bit long-winded, 24 Jan. 2015
Time travel is an interesting concept and even more so, if the reason is to change the future by changing the past. Ben Elton's story of one man being sent back to Sarajevo to prevent the assassination of the Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand and thus prevent WW1 is fundamentally an involving read. However, I found myself frequently skim-reading through chapters, in order to avoid long-winded and (to me) irrelevant waffle. I tended to find the "love" scenes a bit cliched and soppy, but in between these and the unnecessary waffle, lies a thought-provoking, enjoyable novel.

Insanely Yummy Slow Cooker Cookbook: 200 Easy To Make Delicious Crockpot Recipes

1.0 out of 5 stars What?, 19 Jan. 2015
I couldn't make any sense at all of these recipes! "Destroyed American cheddar", "Solidified broccoli"?, "Chicken bosoms"?, "Slashed onions"? I'm sorry, but this book is truly an enigma. I'm just glad I borrowed it via the Kindle Owners Lending Library. I would have been truly hacked off if I'd paid for it!

Alfie the Doorstep Cat
Alfie the Doorstep Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec. 2014
A lovely, heartwarming tale of a very clever cat!

A Gift from Bob: How a Street Cat Helped One Man Learn the Meaning of Christmas
A Gift from Bob: How a Street Cat Helped One Man Learn the Meaning of Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 13 Dec. 2014
I read this in one sitting, because I simply couldn't put it down! Like James' other books, this is a really heart-warming story and it made me think about those who struggle to eat and keep warm at Christmas time, while others panic because the shops have run out of some luxury item. I found the struggles that James and Bob went through to be very humbling, giving me a very different perspective on "the season of goodwill". A wonderful book.

Remember Me This Way
Remember Me This Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 27 Oct. 2014
I loved this book from the first chapter. All the evidence pointed to the fact that he had died in the accident, but on visiting the site of the crash, she finds flowers and a card with the name "Xenia" written on it. Had he been leading a double life? As strange things began to happen, she knew he was alive, watching her, waiting ...........

The Good Girl
The Good Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
This story begins slowly and builds to a superb ending that I would never have guessed. The kidnap of a well-respected Judge's daughter and the devastating effect it has, slowly unfolds throughout the book, which smoothly weaves between events before and after the kidnapping. This tale is not fast-paced or violent, but has a way of gluing the reader to each page and drawing them back like a magnet.

The World According to Bob: The further adventures of one man and his street-wise cat

5.0 out of 5 stars A very heartwarming read, 1 Aug. 2014
After having read James Bowen's first book, I was totally in awe of the extraordinary bond that had formed between one man and his wonderful cat, Bob and I was thrilled when "The World According to Bob" was published. I wasn't disappointed! I felt various emotions whilst reading about the often perilous times spent by the pair during their time on the streets of London, but I ended the book with mixed feelings of relief, happiness and a very great respect for James and Bob, but also for others trying to survive against all odds.

A Time for Silence
A Time for Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 31 July 2014
It is once in a while, when I find a book so absorbing that I cannot put it down. "A Time for Silence" falls into that category. It is a story of generations and the unearthing of a terrible secret. The book moves seamlessly between past and present, weaving its spell of intrigue and unearthing fragments of the past that link it to the present. I was truly sorry when I reached the end.

The Book of You
The Book of You

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good story but, 25 July 2014
This review is from: The Book of You (Kindle Edition)
Quite a good story but, as it is written in part-diary, part third person style, it becomes a little repetitive and moves rather slowly. I felt as if I was sort of "reading" a film (if that makes sense) - about a stalker and his victim. - and the climax of the book felt like I was mentally watching a film too. Quite engrossing, but could have been shortened to alleviate monotony.

Invisible
Invisible

2.0 out of 5 stars This was basically a good basis for a story, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Invisible (Kindle Edition)
This was basically a good basis for a story, but it was so unreal that the victim didn't notice any of the really obvious warning signals let the book down. The story seemed to go on and on, repeating itself time and again and I eventually began to skim-read to the end. I can't say that I was entirely satisfied with the conclusion either!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6