Profile for Mysay > Reviews

Content by Mysay

Mysay (Wythall, Worc.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
50m Professional Network Cable - Grey - Premium Quality (26 AWG 100% Copper Wire) / CAT5e (enhanced) / RJ45 / Ethernet / Patch / LAN / Router / Modem / 10/100
Offered by Alida Systems ®

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 3 July 2014
Seems good quality cable unlike the copper aluminium stuff available elsewhere.

BestDealUK LCD Screen Display For Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 ZS3 TZ65
BestDealUK LCD Screen Display For Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 ZS3 TZ65
Offered by SKILIWAH

4.0 out of 5 stars No tools but quick delivery, 25 Jun 2014
Another reviewer said this came with tools. Mine didn't but to be fair the actual product details didn't mention this. I will have to find the right screwdriver as I don't have one. Can't say if the product works yet.

Prayers for the Stolen
Prayers for the Stolen
by Jennifer Clement

4.0 out of 5 stars a little different, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Prayers for the Stolen (Hardcover)
This is a really good book which is written with few frills, with no extravagant drama and yet captivates and haunts you. it takes place in a strange grim world with the men gone except for drug dealers and the women and girls living in fear of kidnap. most of the action takes place off screen and this lends an extra chill to the tale.

I really liked this one.

HTC DESIRE C - BLACK LEATHER FLIP CASE COVER POUCH + FREE SCREEN PROTECTOR & MINI TOUCH STYLUS PEN FROM GB ONLINE SALES
Offered by GB Online Sales

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 20 Feb 2014
It does what it says on the tin.

How do they do it for the price?

I'm happy with it.

HP 23 - Print cartridge - 1 x yellow, cyan, magenta - 649 pages
HP 23 - Print cartridge - 1 x yellow, cyan, magenta - 649 pages
Offered by I TONERS

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty out of date and poor customer service., 20 Feb 2014
The cartridge wasn't advertised as out of date but was.

It had a faded box indicating poor storage conditions and when opened revealed a gob of congealed ink on the print head. When fitted it did not work. When I contacted the supplier they seemed to blame me and insisted -wrongly that it was advertised as being out of date. They even protested - how were they supposed to know it was faulty. Because of the unhelpful response, the poor literacy skills of the person I corresponded with and the hostile tone I was unsure that I would get my money back - let alone the postage. Happily Amazon refunded me.

Apple iPad Air 5th Generation(1st Nov 2013) 360 Degree Roatating Smart Leather Wallet Flip Stand Case Cover With Full Sleep Wake Comatibility+ Stlus Pen + Screen Protector + Polising Cloth (Black)
Offered by GB Online Sales

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job at a fraction of the cost, 20 Feb 2014
Headline says it all. It isn't leather or some lightweight material made for Apple gurus with lots of money to throw about but I'm happy.

eSynic® Latest Version 1.3 WPS 300Mbps Wireless Wifi Repeater Range Network Router Extender Booster Complies with IEEE 802.11N/G/B Extend Your Wi-Fi Coverage
Offered by eSynic

3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK but not for non-geeks, 20 Feb 2014
I'm sure that the joy of an enhanced signal strength will kick in soon. My son won't have to sit on the stairs to play on his ipod any more, and I may be able to get email in the kitchen. And it does look a good and well made product but at the moment I'm not too happy because the set-up process has taken me a couple of hours and killed off a few aging brain cells.

My system is a wired ethernet connected one for the three household pc's, TV, printer - and the wireless modem for mobile devices. I tried the instructions which of course did not work- I couldn't get into the repeater using the IP address from my PC. I tried a couple of the instructions others had posted and these didn't work for me. I pressed the reset switch numerous times. I found the IP address which showed on my phone for the repeater - no luck. I looked at a couple of youtubes of similar looking products ( are they all made in the same factory in China I wonder?) - got sick of the loud music, the inarticulate tech speak, and the fact it all worked faultlessly for them but not for me.

By accident I found a site with instructions which looked similar to the ones I had, but explained that if you linked the repeater to your PC with the ethernet cable you needed to go to the network settings -and change the IPV4 IP address to get into the repeater's menu. Then I went back to the instructions I had and it all worked out fine after that. Of course after I had done that I had to change my network settings back to how they had been before. I'm not recommending this and there may be better ways but this worked for me. The web address is win-star.com

I could have bought one looking like this elsewhere a bit cheaper but chose ebay because I thought they would have a better quality product and because the company address is a flat in Birmingham (where I live). I don't know if the proprietor reads this feedback but he will never know how close he came to having a knock on the door and this device used for a purpose it was never intended! :-) Perhaps then he would have invested in some decent instructions!

A Possible Life
A Possible Life
by Sebastian Faulks

4.0 out of 5 stars The work of a very good writer, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Possible Life (Paperback)
This is a superb book which I found really well written and very engaging and entertaining. There aren't many laughs in it though and the picture of life it portrays is rather bleak.

This is a book with a number of stories - with the first and last being really strong. Like others I don't find this kind of book easy, and probably wouldn't have read it if I had known it was like this. I would like to have seen the narratives continue and the characters challenged a little more and it is a tribute to the author that I was disappointed to turn the page and find that we had moved on to another story.

This is nearly a five star book - it fell short for me because I couldn't quite puzzle out what the central theme was. When I have finished writing this I'll read a 'proper' review to find out!

Hanns and Rudolf: The German Jew and the Hunt for the Kommandant of Auschwitz
Hanns and Rudolf: The German Jew and the Hunt for the Kommandant of Auschwitz
by Thomas Harding

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and challenging book, 30 Dec 2013
I found I could not put this book down. The story of the lives of two men is told in a very simple and straightforward way. Both men were shaped by their past - and both damaged by it. What the Kommandant of Auschwitz was responsible for is truly inexplicable and I think this book does a great job of presenting the facts and leaving the reader to try and struggle with this problem. Clearly Rudolph was a monster - but in presenting him as a man, a husband and father reminds us of what we are capable of.

Just as Rudolf is a product of many unimaginable factors (joining the army first world war at the age of 14 - and killing people) so too is Hanns, a most remarkable man who in this book is presented in an equally realistic way. A man who grew up witnessing so much misery after a privileged early life and who joined the British army and took on the job of hunting down war criminals. What must have been in the mind of a Jewish soldier who entered Belsen shortly after it was discovered by the allies? Again unimaginable. There is no moral equivalence between the two men and happily one was hung and the other lived a long and I hope fruitful life.

The greatest part of the book is that it left me wrestling with my emotions and trying to put the events into a modern context. At this moment their are other Rudolfs doing bad stuff, and others being formed by the environments they are growing up in. And if a monster of our age was captured as the result of intimidating and bullying his wife and children, if he was subject to 'cruel and inhuman treatment' as no doubt Rudolph's beating and interrogation would be interpreted these days where would Hanns be? The recent case of the marine who 'finished off' an Afghan insurgent came to mind.

I have no answers and there are no simple ones, but good books make us ask questions.

D

Gallipoli
Gallipoli
by Peter Hart

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but spoilt by Lack of good maps photos and diagrams, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Gallipoli (Paperback)
I found this a very readable and interesting account of the Gallipoli campaign which I knew about but had no detailed knowledge of. The narrative flows well and the many first hand accounts illuminated the events for me. I hadn't appreciated the scale of the landings, and of the losses on both sides.

The author has a clear opinion that the campaign was doomed and that the leadership on the allied side was poor. I agree that this tends to apply 21 century values and ideas to the study - that is difficult to avoid. I would like to read more for myself before I come to any conclusions on the leadership issues, and I'm a bit puzzled about the Anzac side of things which I was surprised to find was much smaller than the british and French (who I didn't even know we're there). The issue of whether there were machine guns on the Turk side to repulse the landings was very interesting and demonstrates both the fog of war perhaps making contemporary accounts unreliable but also maybe that not everything that happened can be found in the documentary evidence.

My criticisms of the book are that the absence of meaningful maps diagrams and photos which leads to long descriptions of the attacks becoming impossible to visualise and understand. Places mentioned in the text aren't included in the few maps and places where the terrain is the key feature of the events aren't shown. Because of this the book becomes a bit repetitive with a succession of units charging forward, being shot to pieces and then retreating with little differentiation between them. I resorted to bookmarks to locate the maps, and much flicking backwards and forwards to try to clarify the events. Eventually I had to use the internet and other. sources to fill this gap.

I finished the book with more questions than I would have liked.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5