22 of 42 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars
Poor build quality, 8 July 2012
Felt the need to write a review for this product from the perspective of an iPhone user who upgraded to this device. I had the iPhone 4, had a week with this device and then took it back to the shop. I'll keep it simple with some good points and bad points, from the perspective of an iPhone user:
- Light for such a large phone
- Camera is very good quality
- Screen is nice, big and bright
- Live wallpapers and customisation is pretty cool
- Very good call quality
- Poor stock keyboard, alternatives on Android aren't much better.
- Build quality for a £500 device is appalling, not on the same level as an iPhone. It feels like cheap, low grade plastic. Lights on bottom of device look cheap and tacky.
- The phone is simply too large for one handed operation (for most people at least), I'm a guy and have average sized hands and found the size of the phone unpractical. It also makes you a mugging magnet using it in the street.
- User interface is messy and simply not as polished as iOS, took me twice as long to find what I wanted.
- There was noticeable lag at times, an example being when I back up out of an app and the home screen takes a while to load widgets etc, this was something I did not experience on my iPhone, so I wouldn't expect it from a quad core phone.
- Device gets very hot when playing games to the point that it is uncomfortable.
- Consistently poor signal, worse than my iPhone 4.
- Number and quality of apps on Play Store not on same level as Apple App Store.
This device could have been so much better, however I feel it's all hype and no substance. My main issue is build quality, it feels cheap and plasticky - shocking for a £500 device. My advice for current iPhone owners is to take this into consideration before changing. I took mine back and I'm not back to using my iPhone 4 and waiting for the 5. I'm not an Apple fan boy, this device is just not worth the money. If you prefer Android, I'd take a look at the HTC One X which seems to have much better build quality.