Profile for niceyuk > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Sim City (PC DVD)
Sim City (PC DVD)
Price: 12.00

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE! This product has been pulled from sale by Amazon USA, 8 Mar 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sim City (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Beware - this game went on sale a few days ago in the USA and is today (8/3/13) pulled from sale from Amazon US because there are over 1,000 customer complaints. The game is rated as 1.7 out of 10 by metacritic.

Firstly the game has always-on DRM, and if you don't have a permanent internet connection you cant play it. If that wasn't bad enough, EA didn't invest enough in their servers or bandwidth so customers that have bought the game cant play it due to server and bandwidth issues.

When you try to play the game you get stuck at the title screen with a 20 minute timer and you are told to wait 20 minutes, then try again, and again, and again. Wait time for EA customer services is currently 850 minutes and unfortunate customers that bought the game are demanding refunds en-masse. There are pages and pages of complaints on the EA forums, and many reports of bugs that include losing all your progress due to the save games also being on the EA servers rather than on your local computer. These save games are becoming lost or corrupted or unavailable and all progress is lost and you have to start the game over again.

Even if these issues are eventually resolved, the city sizes are minute. If you enjoyed creating metropolis sized cities in previous versions of SimCity then you will be very disappointed. To give you a rough idea, the size of a city in SimCity is 2 km x 2 km. If you travelled at 50km/h / 30 mph you would get from one side of the city to the other in about 2 minutes 24 seconds, the time it would take to drive through a small village at 30mph IRL. The "city" size really is that bad, it should have been called SimTown.

When you "buy" the game you are in fact leasing the use of it, the game depends on a connection to an EA server that will, at some point in the future when its no longer profitable for EA, be decommissioned and then you wont even be able to play the game any more and your online save games will be gone. If you buy a physical copy of the game it will also be unusable due to the DRM.

These are just some of the biggest problems with the game. Seriously this game has so much wrong with it you would have to be a fool to buy it.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2013 9:00 PM BST

Ronhill Men's Vizion Microlite Jacket
Ronhill Men's Vizion Microlite Jacket
Price: 35.30 - 52.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my purchase, 6 Mar 2013
Its not often that I write a review, but this jacket deserves one, its lightweight, keeps warmth, very well made and well designed, comfortable, has a good size rear pocket, packs down to almost nothing and weighs almost nothing and has a hood for showers. Its by far the best I could find for the price.

Of course its not fully waterproof, its not intended to be, but as a high-vis light jacket for cycling and running I find it otherwise perfect for my needs.

Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter
Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt work with Windows7 64 bit, 28 Dec 2012
I spent hours of frustration trying to get this USB adapter working with 64 bit Windows 7, even the latest Windows 7 drivers on Belkins website don't work. Don't buy this if you have the 64 bit version of Win7.

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router
Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router
Price: 79.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Great specs, its a shame the wireless performance is so poor and the USB ports arent fully functional, 19 May 2011
I bought one of these ADSL routers as in theory it had everything I was looking for:

ADSL2, and a cable network port for upgrading to BT Infinity when its available
Gigabit LAN
2.4 and 5Ghz simultaneous wireless networking
and 2 USB connections

I was upgrading from a DLink Wireless G router that came free from my ISP and I expected the DGND3700 to be a worthwhile upgrade for the money. Unfortunately I had to return it as I was so disappointed with its performance. In theory the 5ghz wireless network can be used for copying and streaming HD media, in practice I found that the 5ghz signal strength was so weak my PC couldnt even maintain a connection, it was continually dropping out and reconnecting. Even the 2.4ghz network was weaker than my free router from exactly the same location. I think this is due to the antennas being inside the router rather than outside. I have the router upstairs and connect from the room below from a distance of about 3-4 metres with only the ceiling between the router and PC. Either the router has very weak antennas or the case is blocking the signals.

I also had problems with the USB port, it doesn't support USB printers at all and doesn't work with all external USB drives. I had waited until this router was released as I expected it to be a good upgrade, but it actually performed worse than the free router it was intended to replace.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2011 11:02 AM BST

TBS Dual DVB-S2 High Definition Digital Satellite Tuner PCI Express Card HD (DVB-S2/DVB-S) Receiver
Offered by ARC UK
Price: 99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HD TV card, 25 Mar 2011
I also received a TBS 6981 and am really happy with it.

It works great with Windows Media Centre and records and plays back HD TV programs without any slowdown, even on a fairly low spec PC. I've always been a bit disappointed with TV cards in the past, but this one works exactly as its supposed to with no awkward quirks.

I would definitely recommend buying this card from this seller.

Dragon Age 2 (PC DVD)
Dragon Age 2 (PC DVD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, awful, awful, 25 Mar 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dragon Age 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I really enjoyed the original Dragon Age and played it for more than 60 hours. I was really looking forward to the sequel but Bioware/EA haven't improved a single thing about the game, the graphics are worse, the UI is worse, the plot is worse, the voice acting is worse, the variety of locations is worse, combat is worse, special attacks are worthless, and the way enemies explode in a ridiculous way is just tragic.

If you enjoyed the original DA, be sure to play the demo before buying this trash to get an idea of what your spending your money on.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service - recieved in less than 24 hours, 4 Mar 2011
I would definitely recommend this seller and the cable. The cable was shipped the same day I ordered it and it arrived the next day.

The cable is very good quality, no complaints at all.

Duronic TVS49A3 Contemporary Design Black Plasma/LCD/LED/3D Glass TV Stand - Upto 50-inch

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent buy for the money, 14 Jan 2011
I bought this as it was in stock when the more popular TV stands were all sold out over xmas. I was a bit anxious about buying this as there were no user reviews, but I'm really pleased with my purchase.

I was initially a bit disappointed as some of the fittings for the silver legs looked to be a bit cheaply made, but the unit looks spectacular when its assembled and the black glass is heavy and very good quality. The unit is very solid when built and looks great.

The stand is definitely worth the price I paid for it (59.99) but in my opinion its not worth the original RRP of 159.99.

Goodmans 500GB Freesat HD Digital TV Recorder (GFSDTR500HD)
Goodmans 500GB Freesat HD Digital TV Recorder (GFSDTR500HD)
Price: 255.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb picture quality, 13 Jan 2011
I have both this PVR and the similar Humax Foxsat-HDR. Based on these Amazon reviews, the Humax seems to be more popular, but I think the Goodmans is much better.

To me the picture quality is the most important feature, and the picture upscaler in the Goodmans is vastly superior to the Humax. The quality of the up-scaled SD channels is stunning and close to the quality of HD channels from a short distance away from the TV. The Humax is blockier and more pixelated, and doesnt handle movement nearly as well. I dont like to use the Humax any more as the picture quality is very noticeably worse.

One downside to the Goodmans is that the fan can be quite noisy, especially after the box has been on for a while. When you put the box in standby mode the fan continues to spin for a couple of minutes to cool down the hard disk before it powers off. I thought I had a faulty box because the fan was so loud, but you dont notice it at all when the TV is on, only when its shutting down. It would probably be quite easy to open the box up and replace the fan with a quieter one and I'll probably do this when the warranty has expired. At the same time I will probably fit a larger hard disk, as its possible to do this.

In my opinion this is the best freesat-HD PVR you can get for the money, I would say that is better than the Humax because of the picture quality, otherwise they're both quite similar.

I Am Your Father (COMES WITH MATCHING MOUSE MAT) GALLERY FRAMED CANVAS ART PRINT READY TO HANG ON YOUR WALL MODERN ART DECOR GRAFFITI STREET ART

2.0 out of 5 stars Not by Banksy, 4 Sep 2010
This is not by Banksy, the 'I am your father' stencil is by Dolk (google Dolk prints for proof). It does look like a nice canvas though.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2010 1:15 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2