Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

There's A Buzz
There's A Buzz

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Battlefield Band Album, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: There's A Buzz (Audio CD)
My introduction to folk music, this album was a Christmas present. Although I was learning the pipes, I never knew music like this existed. It's songs and tunes are as fresh today as they were then and this is still my favourite Battlefield Band album. Not bought for Nostalgia, bought because I think my brother nabbed the original.

Horses for Courses
Horses for Courses

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique sound - something a bit special, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Horses for Courses (Audio CD)
First bought in the 1980's this album is a unique take on traditional songs and tunes. It's brilliant to play while sailing round the Western Isles of Scotland.

Voicing Scotland: Folk, Culture, Nation
Voicing Scotland: Folk, Culture, Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down 'til it's read., 2 Nov. 2012
Gary almost personally introduces you to some of the great characters, past and present, of Scotland's tradition/folk culture. Transcripts of interviews and accounts of conversations that happened, recently, decades and generations ago are delivered in a context that makes irresistible reading, bringing to life and sharp focus the concepts and meaning of what Gary is saying. You will meet many people or customs you may be well acquainted with and yet Gary will tell you something new. More than once I found myself thinking, ah that's what that is all about; explains a lot. Then he will introduce you to someone you hadn't heard of and point you to gems of written material you never knew existed. I thoroughly recommend this book. It is a beacon that enlightens where you stand and guides you towards previously unfound repositories of creativity and history just lying there to be mined and enjoyed. The only slight criticism is that, as with many authors, the introduction and lead in is a bit academic and dry but persevere through the first few pages and you then become enwrapped and engaged in the journey as you read on. It gets better and better and better.

Enoch at 100: A re-evaluation of the life, politics and philosophy of Enoch Powell
by edited by Lord Howard of Rising

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the title should have been "The Prophecies of Enoch"., 6 Sept. 2012
A collection of Enochs speeches from the 50's, 60's and 70's and commentary from contributors across the political spectrum, this, certainly as far as Europe is concerned, is like reading prophecy come true. The jaw dropping accuracy of Enoch's understanding of how Sovereign entities work and the consequences of the course of actions proposed during that time period is made even more remarkable in that those statements were made between 40 and 60 years ago.

As I turn each page, I am left with a depressing sense of disappointment in those who have led Great Britain for over half a century and the mistakes they have made, prewarned with predicted consequences. Greater still is a sense of lost opportunity and disappointment in Enoch himself. For someone with such a huge intellect and integrity, his straightforward honesty seems to have ensured a political career in the wings. Was Enoch the best Prime Minister Britain never had? Of course, we will never know but this book is an eye opener and offers a benchmark against which one can view todays politicians.

If, like me, the financial crisis and scandals and the European Currency mess has reawakened your interest in current affairs and politics, Enoch at 100 is a fascinating read.

It is also one of those books you can dip in and out of at will. I keep mine next to the bog!

Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - N-Replacement v2

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle 3G and Wifi, 9 Nov. 2011
The Kindle is easy to understand and use. The 3G works fine and I've used it in many different countries. The battery lasts for about 3 or 4 days on relatively heavy use.

Downloading books is straight forward - its pretty intuitive. I haven't needed to refer to the user guide.

My only concern is that the screen went faulty within a week on the first one I got. I'm not sure why. However, I contacted customer support and they replaced it within a few days. The new one has been fine.

I definitely get the impression that a Kindle is not as robust as a mobile phone and so I keep mine in a case and make sure its safely packed when I'm travelling.

I have Kindle software on my Android mobile phone and laptop as well as the Kindle and you can easily sync across all 3 devices including the last page you are up to in a book. You only have to pay for the book once and can read it on any device.

The benefits of the kindle over both the smartphone and laptop are the display that is easily read outdoors even in direct sunlight and, of course, the much longer battery life. My Nexus 1 will die in a matter of a few hours when the screen is being used extensively, i.e. the backlight for Kindle.

The one I have is just a little big so I find it difficult to pack in my laptop bag and tend to put it in my checked case on flights - that kind of defeats the purpose. I got it as a birthday present - the new smaller one would be better.

I definitely recommend the 3G version - the 3G connection is free on Amazon Whispernet.

Overall, a great present to get and I use it.