Profile for Classic girl > Reviews

Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
by Helen Halstead

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 24 Sep 2011
There are many P&P sequels out there. Many of them will have Jane Austen turning in her grave. I didn't expect much of this book either, but since a friend gave it to me, I thought I should at least give it a try. And...I was not disappointed at all. In fact, I found Helen Halsteads book really entertaining!

Needless to say Halstead is no Jane Austen either, but who is? She is a talented author in her own right. You can tell she is a big fan of Austen and that ceratinly helps. In my opinion, she stays true to Austen's style, language and characters. I do not agree with other reviewers who say she portrays Elizabeth as someone who is mainly intrerested in the opinions of the London Ton. In this book Elizabeth becomes very successful in London society, but she certainly doesn't seek it and she doesn't always enjoy it either. I also do not agree that Halstead's Darcy "does not seem to have an understanding bone in his body", as someone else pointed out. He is clearly full of love and care for Elizabeth. He tells her he will never regret marrying her, even if they will never be able to have children. What more could she ask for?!

The book is romantic, but there are no unnecessary explicit sex scenes. Elizabeth is still intelligent and witty, while Darcy is full of love for her, but well...not always the best communicator out there. He is, after all, a heterosexual male. ;)

No book can ever live up to the real Jane Austen, but if you're looking for a P&P sequal that stays fairly true to Austen's style and to life in the Regency Era, this book will just do.