Profile for Keir > Reviews

Content by Keir

Keir

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Pack (PC/Mac DVD)
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Pack (PC/Mac DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it - it's free with the base game, 23 Aug. 2014
Please do not buy this! It's a great expansion but you're wasting your money if you buy it: when you buy the basic version of WoW, your account will be updated to Cataclysm, making The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Cataclysm free.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [1977] [2011] [Region Free]
Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [1977] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the originals and the bonus content, 22 Aug. 2014
There's no need for anyone to review any of the Star Wars films here. You know what you're buying!
So I'll just comment on the blu-ray updates and the additional content.

HD updates:
The original 3 films are all beautifully transferred to 1080p quality, and everything looks better. It's cleaner, sharper, the colours are more distinct and the original special effects are not ruined by the modern technology - they simply look better.

The prequels, however, are a different story. They're just as well transferred as the originals, but there is a very noticeable problem. Because they are a mix of real locations and models, and CGI versions, the real stuff is improved greatly, but the CGI visuals are completely redone to absolute perfection. Sounds great, no? The models, the backgrounds, the locales, everything that's CGI looks absolutely mesmerisingly gorgeous. Unfortunately, the disparity between the two is something you can't help but notice. The CG models are actually too good, for their time at least. It's fine by Revenge of the Sith, where virtually everything looks amazing, but particularly in The Phantom Menace, which was made in 1998, the film quality back then was just not good enough to be mixed in with today's high-definition world. It's a shame, but the superb quality of the effects can actually take you out of the movie.

Regardless, its all very well done - but the original trilogy looks best, despite the prequels getting a vastly superior update.

Special Features:
Well, what can I say. There is SO much content here, and it's not just filler, it's not just junk. Very little is worthless. There are features on every aspect of the films, and it's fantastic. The boxset is worth it just for all of this glorious detail it goes into.
There's also several documentaries, which are well made and feel like more than just marketing material.

I feel I've watched dozens of hours of the extra content, and I know I'm not even half way. The box claims that it has 40 hours of content, and it's not lying.

Overall:
The Complete Saga Blu-ray really is the complete experience of Star Wars. Huge amounts of content, the original films are magnificently updated, the prequels are equally well done but some of the massive CGI improvements definitely detract from the experience of the films. 5/5 easily - I'd recommend this to any SW fan.

I must also mention that I did have a problem with the set I ordered. My Empire Strikes Back disc didn't play properly - the middle half an hour of the film was completely broken and unwatchable. Fortunately, I emailed Amazon when I realised this (many months after ordering it), and I woke up the next morning to find a new boxset through the post. Hat-tip to Amazon.

The Losers [Blu-ray]
The Losers [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Zoe Saldana
Offered by The Happy Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun. Chris Evans is fantastic, 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Losers [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This looks at first like a boring, bland action film, and in some respects it is. But it's self-aware, moving and funny.

The premise is that a group of American agents are set up by the faceless figure known only as Max, and the film opens with a truly disturbing scene that might put you off the rest of the film. Don't let it, though, because you'd be missing out on a real treat.
The Losers knows what it is, and it knows how to avoid action movie clichés, in part by mocking them and in part by being an actually engaging movie. It has the typical setup for an action movie, but its execution is tremendous.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is great as the team's leader, Zoe Saldana is a strong character as the vengeful mercenary aid, but the real show-stealer here is Chris Evans (now known for being Captain America). He is brilliant in every sense of the word - he's hilarious, he's strong and he just seems to be having a great time, which is something that gets reflected in the viewer. One particular sequence is one of the most pleasant, enjoyable, fun scenes from any action movie.

All in all, a good action romp that's more than what you think it is.

Stargazer UV/ Fluorescent Pressed Eye Shadow, Rose Pink
Stargazer UV/ Fluorescent Pressed Eye Shadow, Rose Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Good eyeshadow, 22 Aug. 2014
I bought this for one of my girlfriends as she had been looking for a hot pink eyeshadow and they're hard to find. She likes it, I think it looks great, and it's not very expensive so everyone wins. I'd wear it if it went with my hair.

Bellfield Chino Shorts (28, Rhubarb)
Bellfield Chino Shorts (28, Rhubarb)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shorts, 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Bellfield Chino Shorts (Apparel)
I was expecting low quality material from cheap shorts - I just bought them because they looked tight and I love pink.

They do look great and they fit exactly how they were described to. Just be aware these are pretty tight on your legs and are not baggy at all.

Rock of Ages (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Rock of Ages (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by Rapid-DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Cruise is insane. He can even sing, 22 Aug. 2014
I went into Rock of Ages not knowing huge amounts about the story or which songs it comprised of. All I knew was that it didn't get great reviews. But I love Tom Cruise and I love musicals, so I gave it a shot (through the heart).

Turns out it's fantastic! Julianne Hough has a stellar voice and she rocks the looks and style that her character needs. Diego Boneta is good enough - nothing spectacular, but serviceable. Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin are absolutely great together though, which really surprised me as I usually loathe Brand, and Baldwin seemed a little out of place at first. Catherine Zeta-Jones is perfection! She's sassy, full of colour and has a great voice; I only wish she had more screentime.

The star of the show, though, is (naturally) Tom Cruise. He just becomes the embodiment of a rock god, and he's incredible. Everything about his performance is magnificent - he seems to totally get what and who rockstars are. And he too has an excellent voice. On its own, his voice may sound a little strange, but it's when you compare it to other rock voices that you realise how good an actor he is. He matches a rockstar in every single way.

The songs are all good choices, and although you can argue that there are classic rock songs that should have been in the film, at the end of the day there are so many great rock songs and you can't include them all.

The film is awesome fun, and watching it just makes you want to sing along (which I did). It's just great.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect soundtrack for the film, 4 Aug. 2014
This is one of those soundtracks which just goes perfectly with the film. The scenes are excellently matched with the songs. That being said, a good soundtrack needs to stand on its own to justify a purchase - and this absolutely does that too. It's a great collection of old pop songs that just feels great to listen to.

Not all of the songs are perfect - "I'm Not In Love" isn't very fun - but there are easily enough brilliant, catchy songs on here to justify the low price of the whole album.

SnapBack Cap Co Aloha Men's Hat Blue/White One Size
SnapBack Cap Co Aloha Men's Hat Blue/White One Size

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great, 27 Jun. 2014
first snapback cap and I love it! It looks great, feels great, only real minor complaint is that for me, the perfect fit is between two of the sizes, so that's kind of annoying.

Solid Men's Harveer Striped V Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt, Insignia Blue, Medium
Solid Men's Harveer Striped V Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt, Insignia Blue, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice shirt, 27 Jun. 2014
The shirt looks great and goes with lots of things. Although it is cheap, it seems well made. It fits exactly as it should according to Amazon's size guide. Can't complain!

Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing CPU, 17 Feb. 2014
I got this processor, and the performance of many of my games double, tripled or even quadrupled. All my programs run quicker. So, I have to say, it's great. Easily overclockable, and it runs cool. It's simply excellent. I'd recommend buying a different cooler for overclocking, though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3