Profile for Phillip Spencer > Reviews

Content by Phillip Spencer

Phillip Spencer

To Die a Stranger
To Die a Stranger

5.0 out of 5 stars A light and entertaining SF romp - high quality traditional space opera, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: To Die a Stranger (Kindle Edition)
Jilly Paddock’s novel “To Die A Stranger” had been on my “to read” list ever since I read her excellent “The Spook and the Spirit in the Stone”. The “spook” of that off-world crime thriller is a creepy “agent-pair”, an intriguing concept of a Terran spy with super-human psi powers. I wanted to know exactly what is an “agent-pair”?
“To Die A Stranger” provides the answer by taking us to near the start of the development on Earth of “agent-pairs” – the linking of humans with strong psi capabilities with AI units – at the Delany Computer Corporation, a manufacturer of advanced computers which is working on a secret programme for the Terran government.
All this is not really a spoiler, since this information comes out relatively early in following the life of Anna-Marie Delany, daughter of the owner of the Delany corporation, and who also lives a pretend life as Amaranth, a holo-drama actress. There is a nice teaser in the intro to Part 1: “…and this is the story of her death.” We then go into Anna-Marie’s first person narrative.
Incidentally, although I had read “The Spook” first, the reading order does not matter. They are set in the same “universe” but are not directly linked and their style and focus is a little different. Based on “The Spook” and the intro I had been expecting another crime thriller but, while the story has some of these elements, this story is more an entertaining “space opera”.
Following a horrific air-car crash, Anna-Marie, disfigured and with her acting alter-ego killed off, becomes linked to a recalcitrant AI manufactured by her father’s firm and the story becomes a chase thriller, with our protagonists hassled by a shadowy Earth Intelligence unit, full of dirty tricks. The pursuit then takes up most of the rest of the story, moving swiftly from Earth to planets in other parts of the galaxy.
The way the psi powers work and the easy interstellar travel combined with the whole traditional SF tone of the story reminds me of some of the SF romps from the 1950s and 1960s. Its style feels to me not as if written by Isaac Asimov but rather as in the tradition of stories by Eric Frank Russell, who had a light touch and, like Jilly, more humour in his tales. This is not a criticism, I thoroughly enjoyed Russell’s work, which I consider to have been under-rated.
In conclusion, recommended as a light but good traditional escapist SF story.

Snuff Tag 9 (A Nicholas Colt Thriller Book 3)
Snuff Tag 9 (A Nicholas Colt Thriller Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea poorly executed, 13 Oct 2013
This crime / thriller is the third in a series about an ex-musician turned private eye / security consultant called Nicholas Colt. I picked it up through a Kindle offer as I thought the idea intriguing: someone turns a computer survival game called "Snuff Tag 9" into a real-life challenge to survive. However, I was sadly disappointed by the end result. I am reviewing more as an analysis of why it did not work.

The story set-up is straight-forward Nicholas Colt, the protagonist, dismisses the threat in a letter brought to him by a new client but, for the money, checks out the invitation to participate in the game (with dire threats if not accepted). He finds his client killed and himself substituted to participate. The main problem with this is the story is in first person from his point of view so the reader knows he will survive, dampening a lot of the effect on the reader. The story is about how, not if, he will survive.

The antagonist is a bored billionaire who refers to himself as Freeze, the ultimate control character in the game. However, rather than interesting he is just a two-dimensional selfish psychopath with too much money and who never comes alive as a character, instead wavering between stereotype and caricature.

The late-entering ninth character in the game, we are told, is someone significant to at least one of the players. Given Colt is a late substitute and the weakest player in the line-up, not expected by Freeze to survive the first day, why are both candidates for the role people close to him? Because the plot needs it, I guess and strikes as lazy writing.

While Colt's back story is well brought in for readers like me entering part-way through the series, the same points about his past are brought up several times in the story. This is another irritant with the story: the repetition is not just back story either. As one reads this novel whole paragraphs are rephrased and re-used sometimes back-to-back. To repeat the point as laboriously as the author, he says the same thing a different way without adding new information. Why? It is more lazy writing, as if Hardin is padding the story to reach a word count. Given this is professionally published novel, what happened to the editor? Given the repetition is worse and more noticeable the further one gets through the story, it is as if the editor was under time pressure and skipped or got fed up at eliminating it.

All in all, a disappointing read but it must give hope to new writers that if this can get published professionally the barriers to entry are not as high as one expected!

Darkspire Reaches
Darkspire Reaches

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful fantasy with great characters in a well-contructed world, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Darkspire Reaches (Kindle Edition)
This novel is a delightful read - the sort one has to sneak back to read another chapter while knowing there are other things that one really should be doing!

I had the same feeling when I read this novel as I did when I first read "Dragonflight" by Anne McCaffrey many years ago. (A word of explanation: I see there are some parallels - the wyvern for the dragon; the fire-drake for the fire-lizard ; the strong, young, female protagonist is a girl treated initially as a drudge (Raven, Lessa) - BUT they are very different stories in very different milieu. Darkspire Reaches is a fantasy through and through, with magic and transformations, whereas Pern is an SF world.)

My point is that both are well-written and have excellent world-building and that is why I draw the link: within this book I encountered a world I want to go back to, so I can find out more about the Angressi, their conflict with the First Born and the strange world of the Drakken. There is much hinted at, such as the rise of the Emperor Chactar or the Shangrove and Samara Maidens, that could be a story in itself and this adds to the richness of the story since one experiences this as part of a much larger environment not a flimsy theatre set constructed to just carry this novel.

The story in Darkspire Reaches has a good plot and structure, starting out quiet and focused, in a country cottage with Margie, the local "witch", and her fosterling, Raven. As Raven's (and the reader's) view of the world expands, we become aware of how different she is. The story moves swiftly from the local village and torments of its youngsters, on to the Emperor's city and then for Raven to make contact with her own people. We see Raven propelled by fear, prejudice, manipulation and politics from a sheltered environment into what is a conflict between races where suspicion rules but help is found in unexpected places.

Raven learns to question friendship and the motivation of others as she starts to experience her world as it really is. This is an adult fantasy, which does not pull its punches.

Add to a strong plot and milieu a couple of very well-drawn 'point of view' characters whose misunderstandings of each other, and the mistrust this creates, lead to further confusion and conflict. With a number of other key characters - helping or hindering - met along the way we see good characterisation is another of the author's strengths.

My one complaint with "Darkspire Reaches" is that I finished it too quickly and there is so much more I want to know about the world, the wyvern and the characters. This story is complete and stand-alone but I can see the potential for further stories filling in background, plus a sequel to Raven and Connor's story. After all, there is a good precedent: just look at how many Pern stories we ended up with!)

Highly recommended.

Bruno, Chief of Police: A Bruno Courrèges Investigation (Bruno Chief of Police Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity - more like murder in "A Year In Provence", 5 Feb 2013
This novel, the first of a series, is set in the Dordogne area of South west France, the next major river valley north of where my family lives. The book itself was recommended to me by a local English friend and I had been hoping to find a great new series to read, based in an area I know well.

The first book in the series is under £2 for a Kindle download from Amazon so it was a good way to sample without splashing £7 on a paperback. I was even able to start reading on the Sunday it was recommended to me, deep in South West France. The internet is a wonderful tool for instant gratification!

To the story, which I went to read WANTING to like, yet I came away disappointed.

Probably the most important thing in a crime novel is the plot, and this works so I was able to read this through to the end. It is the story of a typical sleepy rural French town, where there is a murder that appears to be a hate crime. Of course, nothing is that simple and the investigation unfolds down through a number of twists and turns, relatively conventional but to a clear conclusion.

Martin Walker, a Guardian journalist, lives part of the year in the Dordogne so I assumed the research and setting would be up to scratch. It is, but in a way that makes it one of two weaknesses of the novel; the other being the characterisation. Had I not known that Walker had published a previous novel I would have assumed this is a first novel, with the associated faults and weaknesses.

The two main problems go hand in hand. The best way I can describe them is to say this story is "murder in 'A Year In Provence'". There are lots of colourful French characters but they verge on or move into caricature. Most irritating is the new head of the Gendamerie for the Commune, who does not develop and is merely there to be a persistent hurdle the protagonist, Bruno Courrèges, must overcome at every step of the investigation. I did like Bruno, Chief of Police because he is the only local policeman in the town, but most of the villagers who appear as characters were two-dimensional.

The setting itself is a typical rural town in the area but rather than letting it unfold naturally, with French terminology the reader can look up if they don't recognise it, every time a new term is introduced it is explained, interrupting the flow and making it feel like one is reading a travel guide not a novel.

It is true I have an advantage over many readers in that I am familiar with the local structures and political complexities and rivalries between the various police forces in France but many of the target audience could have a passing knowledge from news and holidays in France. Description and information should not be at the cost of the flow of the story and to the level where it is intrusive and irritating.

Another irritant was the black-and-white antipathy of the villagers to Government bureaucracy in Paris and Brussels. It felt like we were being treated to the author's prejudices rather than a rounded view. After all, the rural farmers expressing their ire are the same French small farmers who do so very nicely out of the EU agricultural support mechanisms - yet that never had a mention. The few English characters, well-to-do and single - one becomes the 'love interest', seem to be there more for an English audience than because they serve a really necessary part of the story.

So, all in all, disappointing. A rating of 3 out of 5 - I finished it. But with the rest of the series all being over a fiver on Kindle download I will not be investing in more of the series. A shame because, as I said, I really wanted to like this.

To Die A Stranger
To Die A Stranger

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Space Opera romp, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: To Die A Stranger (Kindle Edition)
Jilly Paddock's novel-length story has been on my "to read" list ever since I read her excellent "The Spook and the Spirit in the Stone". The "spook" of that off-world crime thriller is a creepy "agent-pair", an intriguing concept of a Terran spy with super-human psi powers. I wanted to know exactly what is an "agent-pair"?

"To Die A Stranger" provides the answer by taking us to near the start of the development on Earth of "agent-pairs" - the linking of humans with strong psi capabilities with AI units - at the Delany Computer Corporation, a manufacturer of advanced computers which is working on a secret programme for the Terran government.

All this is not really a spoiler, since this information comes out relatively early in following the life of Anna-Marie Delany, daughter of the owner of the Delany corporation, and who also lives a pretend life as Amaranth, a holo-drama actress. There is a nice teaser in the intro to Part 1: "...and this is the story of her death." We then go into Anna-Marie's first person narrative.

Based on "The Spook" and the intro I had been expecting another crime thriller but, while the story has some of these elements, this story is more an entertaining "space opera". Following a horrific air-car crash, Anna-Marie, disfigured and with her acting alter-ego killed off, becomes linked to a recalcitrant AI manufactured by her father's firm and the story becomes a chase thriller, with our protagonists hassled by a shadowy Earth Intelligence unit, full of dirty tricks. The pursuit then takes up most of the rest of the story, moving swiftly from Earth to planets in other parts of the galaxy.

The way the psi powers work and the easy interstellar travel combined with the whole traditional SF tone of the story reminds me of some of the SF romps from the 1950s and 1960s. Its style feels to me as if written not by Isaac Asimov so much as in the tradition of stories by Eric frank Russell, who had a light touch and more humour in his tales. This is not a criticism, I thoroughly enjoyed Russell's work, which I consider to have been under-rated.

In conclusion, recommended as a light but good traditional escapist SF story.

2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, focused - most useful "how to write" book I have read in a long time, 16 Nov 2012
This brief (novella length) e-Book has to be the most useful "how to write" book I have read in a long time. Written by fantasy author Rachel Aaron, it is clear, straightforward and pretty easy to follow as a writing method. Having struggled to wrangle the first draft of my first novel into shape all I can say is I wish I had read it before I started writing... but I'm glad I have now read it before commencing another novel!

The author shows how she went from writing 2k to 10k words a day while producing a five volume fantasy epic. Part 1 focuses on the triangle of knowledge, time and enthusiasm. While the word-count levels Rachel achieves sounded high to me initially the book reveals the amount of preparation, planning and working out that goes in beforehand - knowledge of what one will write. These are word counts while actually writing the novel rather than something achieved every day. That is not to diminish what she achieves but to highlight that her method is to be well-prepared by working out plot outline, character sketches, time-line and setting before starting to write. This approach avoids meandering off and ensures focus while writing. Good time management supports this, as does enthusiasm - if the writer is not enjoying what they are writing why are they doing it? What is the likelihood their readers will enjoy the final product?

Part 2 is longer and gives a chapter by chapter focus on the topics of plot, characters who write their own story, structure, making each scene count and, finally, editing. Each chapter gave me ideas on how better to approach my next writing project. How to edit more effectively also gives me hope for also being able to salvage my first novel!

Rachel Aaron's method is very structured throughout so may not appeal to all writers. In the chapter looking at the three act structure she refers to herself as a "story architect" (rather than a "whimsical artist"). However, even those looking for a looser approach will, I believe, find value in this book, if not during the story creation then during the editing stage.

It is nice to see that the author is also an advocate of Scrivener, my favourite writing tool. She provides some tips to use it more effectively within her method. For me, it has changed how I use the outliner mode to make use of chapter word counts and the synopsis feature as a scene map.

At an Amazon UK price of just 77 pence (or 99 cents in US) this e-book is ridiculously cheap - if you own a Kindle and want to write (any genre not just fantasy and SF) then I strongly recommend it.

No Earthly Shore
No Earthly Shore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great SF story about alien contact, 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: No Earthly Shore (Kindle Edition)
"No Earthly Shore" is set on a colony world, Calvados, where some 30 years after arrival, there are indications that one of the local life-forms, the invertebrate "sea-quilts", may be sentient if the report by 12-year-old Boadicea Nantucket is true. Junior member of the verification team from Earth, marine biologist Dr. Zuzana Aaron-Jones, suspects that her colleagues want to come up with a negative result in order not to impact a fruitful colony. The leaders of the team, Major Burgoyne and Dr Moya Kent, border on stereotype characters, impeding Zuzi as she tries to communicate with and understand the squilts. However, the main human characters, Zuzi, her new-found colleague, Mooney - who has an ill-defined mission role - and Boodie. are well drawn but the stars of the story are the squilts, particularly "Drunkard's Path", who are a delightful invention. The story is told with humour and humanity (in its broadest sense) - what does it mean to be sentient? I'll not spoil the story by giving more of the plot away - it is well worth reading. This story would more than hold its own in Asimov's or Fantasy & Science Fiction magazines. Recommended.

The Spook and the Spirit in the Stone
The Spook and the Spirit in the Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars A great find in the SF-crime thriller sub-genre!, 11 Feb 2012
"The Spook and the Spirit in the Stone" is a combination of SF setting on a colonised world and police procedural around the kidnapping of the 9-year-old daughter of an Earth diplomat. The story is told from the PoV of a local detective, Jerome, not entirely human and just reassigned from Fraud to Homicide division to work with Afton, a difficult to work with detective inspector. The characterisation, particularly the relationship between Jerome and Afton and Jerome and the kidnapped girl, work very well. Add into the mix an extremely unpleasant kidnapper and equally unpleasant Terran agent with psy-powers (the spook of the title) plus a nasty underground guardian (the spirit, a near-fantasy element) and what sounds like quite a mish-mash of genres actually works remarkably well. The story moves briskly and with good touches of humour to leaven the, at times, distressing tale of the kidnapping of young girls. I would estimate this is novella length and I believe (and hope) this is the first of a series of "Jerome & Afton" stories. I will certainly be looking out for more. This story is professionally written and produced and very good value.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 2:36 PM BST