Profile for J.Smith > Reviews

Bodacious Space Pirates Part 1 [DVD]
Bodacious Space Pirates Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tatsuo Sato

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., 10 July 2013
Although not a massive fan of sci-fi myself, I do enjoy the genre. So after passing my driving test my dad brought me this series as it looked like a fun, care free anime. This isn't the case.
Bodacious Space Pirates is not a lot of fun in terms of comedy or action. It is more a slice-of-life anime than a space anime. This is proven mostly by the fact that Marika (The main character) spends more episodes in high school than out in space, looting cruisers and cargo.
This anime is the first that I had to give up on just after halfway through. For what it is, some may enjoy it, and it is watchable. But I recommend the sub, more than the dub, as many of the dub's voices took some time to get used to, as many didn't seem to fit their characters.
If you're interested in either sci-fi or slice-of-life anime, give this a go but avoid paying full price. I recommend you stream it first if you can, then decide for yourself the value of this anime.

Mockingjay: 3/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay: 3/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)

3.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 7 July 2012
To begin with, I enjoyed the first two Hunger Games books: The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but when I found myself starting Mockingjay, I could tell something was going to be different. To summarize I've put the points into good and bad below.
The Good: The story held a decent plot, one that truly flows with the plot from Catching Fire. The author has expanded her range of good, relevant vocabulary, to an extent where I had to keep referring to the Kindle's dictionary to decipher what she was saying. Also, the realism in terms of wounds and the various weapons is quite astounding as well. And I can guarantee that the ending won't quite be what you expect.
The Bad: Personally I grew tired of Katniss's constant feelings swapping between the men by Catching Fire, however this is relatively minor as I know many people like to read about that; guessing which one she'll choose. Mockingjay began to flop for me around halfway through, especially in the final stages of the war. After a while I started to wonder if this was written by someone else, with the enhanced use of vocab and dreariness of it. Something that has only happened once before to me happened again while reading Mockingjay: I got bored. I never get bored of reading books, and yet I found myself drumming my fingers for some entertainment. I wasn't drawn in in the last half, I still managed to picture it, but only after looking back at the previous page every now and again to make sure I read the scene right as some parts were either not clear, or confusing to imagine.
Overall, I don't condone reading this book, as the author clearly gave it a good attempt. But to be brutally honest, unless you desperately need to see the ending between 'the star crossed lovers' and the rebellion's war, I don't recommend Mockingjay.