Profile for Mr. L. Pokorny > Reviews

Content by Mr. L. Pokorny

Mr. L. Pokorny "LuPo" (Czech Republic)

Page: 1 | 2
The Future of Religion: Richard Rorty and Gianni Vattimo
The Future of Religion: Richard Rorty and Gianni Vattimo
by Richard Rorty

5.0 out of 5 stars rorty-vattimo, 20 Nov 2007
This book is not an easy read. However is not too complicated to allow you to get a glimpse into what these guys want to tell you. I have discovered it while reading books by Tomas Halik, Czech sociologist and a devout Christian who forges new ways about how to 'understand' God.
The book by Vattimo and Rorty, both competent enough to re-think old concepts, chimes with what Halik is talking about in his books - the end of metaphysics and its effects on religious thinking and society in general being the main topic. What I have found extremely interesting is Vattimos theory of KENOSIS or 'emptiness'. In terms of being a human it means to 'empty' the space of one's soul for God to enter (see also D.T.Suzuki:Mysticism: Christian and Buddhist). However, in terms of God's perspective KENOSIS is to be seen as a total 'hand-over' of His will to human beings, the incarnation of Christ being the perfection thereof. Through such reasoning, Vattimo arrives at an interesting declaration: the secularization - perceived by many as a threat to the existence of Christianity as such - is the basic attribute of genuine religious experience. As I am a keen student of Zen-Buddhism, I cannot not to see resemblances between Vattimo's interpretation of Kenosis and Zen-buddhist theory of 'becoming HERE-and-NOW'. This, of course has far-reaching implications for understanding God. In his latest book Halik quotes from Bible saying that God is so close that you can't see him - is this not to say that God is everything we do and that God is our life? And is this not what Zen-Buddhism defines as Satori? I liked this tiny book.

When the Impossible Happens
When the Impossible Happens
by Stanislav Grof

4.0 out of 5 stars journey, 1 Nov 2007
I have been a great fan of S. Grof not only for the fact that he comes from the same country I do. I have undergone several holotropic sessions and think have at least some idea of what it takes to go beyond your brain. This book is certainly a great piece of work - it reveals details from Stan's life that I felt were missing in his earlier books on holotropic mind. I so much enjoyed reading again the most awkward story Mr.Grof has in store for us: his trip through time to his parent's flat in Prague and his metaphysical fear connected with the idea of crossing the borderline of time. Stunning story. There are several other stories that make you sit with your mouth wide open with amazement. On the other hand you can find lots of pretty 'normal' stories that happen in our everyday lives now and then too. As I said I have read maybe all of Stan's books but the one that really changed my life and has been a great companion through my own spiritual development was not written by him. It was his wife, Christina Grof, who wrote a very intimate, beautiful and wise book describing her coming out of alcohol addiction. With grace she deals with serious topics, stays with both feet on the ground and takes you on a journey towards personal maturity and wisdom. Her husband has been breaking entirely new ground and is therefore much more radical and disconnected from reality. This is not to say we sometimes need to go through hell and heaven to land on our MOther Earth again. Read it.

The Thirst for Wholeness: Attachment, Addiction and the Spiritual Path
The Thirst for Wholeness: Attachment, Addiction and the Spiritual Path
by Christina Grof

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 12 April 2007
This book has been my greatest friend since I bought it - actually I bought it just because I knew S. Grof, Christina's husband and had already read some of his groundbreaking books. After that I had been through all sorts of unfortunate events - neurosis, search for my better self, alcohol, nicotine, days and nights with no hope in better tomorrows. I put this book aside and left it there for quite a long time - till I experienced something that changed my life, shook it, turned it upside down - drug induced spiritual breakthrough. And then, this book started to be my company that managed to guide me through the changes that were to come. The author, an alcoholic herself, who went through similar (non-drug) experience skillfuly expresses her own ways of handling the enourmous load of energy that comes with any profound change. This book is simple and beautiful at the same time!

The Boy And The Tree
The Boy And The Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars mesmerizing, 10 April 2007
This review is from: The Boy And The Tree (Audio CD)
I don't know...after I heard SAKURA two weeks ago I got interested and bought his other albs: Symbol, Grinning Cat and The Boy and The Tree. I have been looking frwrd to listening to all of them and have to say that Mr. Yokota did not let me down. If I should compare all these I can't help it but the winner is TBATT for its subtle and mystical sounds, gentle voices, birds, rivers and nature that is reflected in the music.

Let's see where it takes me after few more listens...looking forward to it!!!

Symbol
Symbol
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars prelude Nr. Yokota, 10 April 2007
This review is from: Symbol (Audio CD)
I am just in the middle of the album - sitting at my desk, listening to the track Nr. 6. I have to say it is drawing my attention more than the albums I have heard so far (Grinning Cat, Sakura). Yokota has the typical signature that makes you feel different everytime you listen to any of his works. I have been thinking about getting into classical music but never found the courage....Maybe after this listen...

Meanwhile I've proceeded to the track Nr. 7 and it is a great piece of music - very ecclectic in the good sense of the word. I like this album - it has the spiritual feeling combined with quite a handful of modern approach.

Music Has The Right To Children [New Version]
Music Has The Right To Children [New Version]

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 3 April 2007
It is a great piece of work, definitely. I am more inclined to like the more chaotic tracks (Nr.5 and 7) than the childlike ones though.

Unlike some of the reviewers the songs with children voices - these come across as not as amazing as the other ones for me - it's not an easy thing to experiment: in some of these tracks it just hasn't proved to be beneficial. Nevertheless, this album is def stunning.

Kill Your Darling
Kill Your Darling
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than A Grand Love Story I think, 28 Mar 2007
This review is from: Kill Your Darling (Audio CD)
I think this album is better than his chill-out stuff. More vocals, guitars, some samples and a somewhat distorted feeling of craziness. I like it a lot and so do my like-minded friends. If you're into The Air and stuff like that u'll like it too.

Flashbacks: a Personal and Cultural History of an Era
Flashbacks: a Personal and Cultural History of an Era
by Timothy Leary

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning, 22 Mar 2007
Be prepared that from the first moment you start reading this book you'll never stop. And I mean it! I have read this book maybe three times and get back to it every now and then just to refresh my mind and realize never is too late - consider Tim's life: after studying at Westpoint, he embarked on a career of a psychologist and lived the normal american life of 1950's - wife, two kids, binge parties on Fridays...(his wife committed suicide in the early fifties). But at the end of the decade he was that lucky as to have been introduced to mescalin.

That opened his eyes and kicked off his interest in mind altering substances that, ultimately, lead to his imprisonment.You get loads of stunning stories - starting with Marylin Monroe sneaking at a party into his room asking for acid and finishing off with an experiment conducted in one of the most guarded prisons with the most dangerous thieves and thugs. What would we do without this sort of pioneers? We would be bored like hell!

Simply it is a personal account of a man who turned his existence upside down. It is an amazing piece - makes you happier and less frightened of your own self. Great!

(if this book doesn't get you hooked-up with literature on psychedelic therapy,then I have no idea what else could - consider S. Grof's books!)

Transit
Transit
Offered by MMT-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Austrian electronica/dub, 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: Transit (Audio CD)
I must disagree with the fella who reviewed this album before me - Austrians are famous (I dare to say this) for it's Kruder and Dorfmeister masters who, by the way, mixed one of the Sofa Surfer's song on their K&D Sessions - that's how I got to buy this album. I saw Sofa Surfer's concert few weeks ago in Prague and it was something I honestly did not expect. Under this influence I bought this album and though at first listen a bit disappointed I discovered a subtle chill-out streaks behind the beats. It's very good!

Mysticism: Christian and Buddhist (Routledge Classics)
Mysticism: Christian and Buddhist (Routledge Classics)
by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

5.0 out of 5 stars Suzuki and Christianism, 22 Mar 2007
I have been interested in eastern philosophy and religion and christianism since my own spiritual experience with magic mushrooms. I own 5 books on Zen by this author but have to admit that this one is probably the most interesting and accesible treatise on Zen - divided into several chapters dealing with different issues in Zen it brings a clear and well-researched description and explanation of these problems - furthermore, Mr Suzuki,himself a keen observer and student of Christianism (Mr Eckhart's mysticism being his eminent source of comments), has skillfully explained some of the Christian mystical conception using Buddhist terminology. I have read this book 3 times and don't think it has been enough for me to fully grasp its significance. Definitely a great book!

Page: 1 | 2