Profile for M C Jones > Reviews

Warthog V-Sharp Classic II Professional Diamond Knife Sharpener
Warthog V-Sharp Classic II Professional Diamond Knife Sharpener
Offered by Jagdwelt24

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sharpener I have ever used, 10 Jan 2014
I own a set of Tojiro Senkou knives which are very hard steel.. In the past I have used an electric diamond pad sharpener/honer which I thought was good but as it seems to struggle these days I decided to look for an alternative.
There is no shortage of whetstones and manual or electric sharpeners on the market and opinion tends to be divided on how to sharpen Japanese knives (what angle, what method etc). A chef friend of mine told me that the best edge is always a manual one so I opted for that.
As I said before, I thought my electric sharpener was good but the Warthog takes things to another level.
After doing a bit of reading I bought a set of 600grit and 1000 grit honers to go with this (it comes with 325 grit supplied). My Tojiro knives cost upwards of £200 each so they really benefit from the extra fine honing. I'm not sure if they are really necessary for everyday knives as my everyday knives are as sharp as they've ever been using the standard honer. The Tojiro knives are now like razors - quite literally.
Using the Warthog is very straightforward although getting the right technique takes a few minutes. The instructions advise what sharpening angle to use depending on what you use the knife for, and adjustment is very simple.
If you want the sharpest knives you've ever owned then get one of these.

HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer
HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer
Offered by Buy It Love It

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer for the price, 10 Jan 2014
When the box arrived I was shocked at how big it was. Fortunately there's a significant amount of packaging inside so the printer itself is no bigger than the one it is replacing.
Set-up is super-easy using the touch screen.
To install the software on your computer you need to use the DVD (supplied), although it's quicker to download the software direct from the HP website as the DVD searches for the updated software anyway.
Wireless printer and scanner. No more trailing wires. Job done.
And £60 cheaper than the Apple Store !!

LaCie d2 USB 3.0 3TB Thunderbolt External Hard Drive
LaCie d2 USB 3.0 3TB Thunderbolt External Hard Drive
Offered by Inkubus Bargains

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 10 Jan 2014
I bought this to run with Time Capsule via Thunderbolt on my Imac. I've never used Thunderbolt before and the speed difference is amazing.
The unit is about the size of a decent paperback book and practically matches the aluminium of the Imac.
It's easy to set up and comes with built-in software to help installation and product registration - I didn't realise it comes with a 3 year manufacturers warranty as well!
In use it's quieter than my previous external WD drive although the access light is quite bright. Not that I see that as a problem - it actually looks very cool.
Yet again, Amazon are quite a bit cheaper than the Apple Store

Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013)
Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013)

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge improvement, 10 Jan 2014
This is a huge improvement over the previous model I was using which used to drop wireless connectivity intermittently and was a pain to set up.
This really is plug and play.
The signal strength is much more powerful, more consistent and has a better range than before.
The connection speed for my iphone & Ipad is much much better. Allegedly Apple devices using this can transit at at higher rate ..
Cheaper than buying from the Apple Store too

Omron BF511 Family Body Composition Monitor - Blue
Omron BF511 Family Body Composition Monitor - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and useful, but you need to understand what you're buying, 10 Jan 2014
These look great and are easy to use.
A word about the readings and calculations.
It seems that the scales are accurate i.e. no shock variation from what I know I weigh, and obviously the BMI is calculated using your weight and your height (which you input and store).
As for the measurement of body fat, visceral fat and metabolic rate I think you need to be realistic.
I have no idea how accurate the readings are. Indeed there are a variety of means for fat measurement which have their own variation for error.
I think the best way to interpret these readings is on a relative basis so that if your body fat % shows a decrease over time it probably really is decreasing.
I'd suggest that if you really need to know that your exact fat measurement is 15.2% and not 17.6% you ought to go get yourself MRI scanned.

Invision® TV Wall Mount Bracket - New Slim Line Design With Cantilever Arm Tilt & Swivel Feature For 26 - 55 inch TV Screens, Fits LED, LCD & Plasma, Max VESA 400mm x 400mm (Please check TV VESA Mounting Holes Before Purchase)
Offered by Invision Technology (UK) Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bracket, but doesn't fit my TV !!, 10 Jan 2014
I bought this to mount my Sony 42" KDL42W654 but unfortunately it won't fit the TV.
It's not that there's anything wrong with the bracket, it's that Sony want you to use the stand/bracket that they supply to mount the TV flush to the wall so there are no VESA mounting holes
To be fair I should have checked my TV first but as for the bracket it's sturdily built, looks good and has an integrated cable organising system which will be more than useful.
I'll just have to use it on a TV other than the one which I intended.

Brabantia Nespresso Coffee Capsule Dispenser - Matt Steel
Brabantia Nespresso Coffee Capsule Dispenser - Matt Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 10 Jan 2014
This is great for storing/organising your nespresso capsules. Doesn't take up much space on the worktop and the removable container in the centre is useful for storing spoons or extra capsules. Looks the part too

Under Armour Men's Shirt UA Recharge Energy black/grey Size:M
Under Armour Men's Shirt UA Recharge Energy black/grey Size:M

5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10 for Amazon service, 10 Dec 2013
I bought this in Size M as I'm a 42" chest and it's tight. Very tight. So much so I'll give it to my son and buy a larger size. Just a heads up, rather than a compliant as it seems very well made and delivery was quick as always.
When I questioned Amazon after delivery about the price drop since I had made my purchase they refunded the difference immediately and without question.
Very pleased and impressed.

High Speed (Category 2) 1.2 Meter Gold Plated HDMI to HDMI cable with 3D, Ethernet and Audio Return Channel
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased - great value, great service, 5 Dec 2013
Like most people I am a little sceptical when I see electical products like this on Amazon for a fraction of the cost you pay in a high street. And to be fair it can be a little hit and miss, which is why reviews like this are important.
I ordered the cable on a Saturday and it arrived the following Wednesday. In terms of quality it is far more robust than some of the ones I have bought for significantly more on the High Street.
I'm no AV purist and I'm sure that if you have the money and interest to buy the most expensive top end equipment you don't care about paying £60 for a cable. I bought these to connect Apple TV to HD tv and they do the job perfectly.

Home Made Mini Clip Top Glass Jar 100ml Set of 12
Home Made Mini Clip Top Glass Jar 100ml Set of 12
Offered by EKS

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 22 Nov 2013
I bought these as a cheap storage solution for herbs & spices.

What has impressed me the most is the quality of the product.
The oval design means you can get a measuring spoon in the jar easily and the kilner-style seal is very robust.

I even spotted these in use at a local "nouveau" restaurant where they serve them at the table filled with sea-salt, ground pepper and home-made ketchup.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3