Profile for Mr. A. Anson > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Anson

Mr. A. Anson "Lexifer Crowley" (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Motley Crue - Broadcasting Live [1983] [DVD] [NTSC]
Motley Crue - Broadcasting Live [1983] [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Motley Crue

1.0 out of 5 stars Careful., 1 Jun. 2008
This is an unofficial release, and here's the problem. The sound is TERRIBLE. Guitar is waaay louder than anything else, drums are just about audible, bass sometimes too, but half the time the vocals are inaudible. Cheap cash in 25 years later, nothing more.

Nonetheless, it is nice to see Mick Mars walking around and to see the band on fire. It'd just be nicer to be able to hear it.

-Lexi C

Mechanical Animals
Mechanical Animals

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., 13 April 2008
This review is from: Mechanical Animals (Audio CD)
Only songs on here I don't care for are Rock Is Dead (bleh bleh bleh, boring - also, aren't later efforts Disposable Teens and mOBSCENE damn near identical to this one? Ah well) and Fundamentally Loathsome. Other than that, I love every single track. This has to be one of the sexiest, best-sounding records I've ever heard, with some of the best damn angst-ridden lyrics ever committed to CD.

-Lexi C

SMELL THE MAGIC
SMELL THE MAGIC

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly life changing, 6 Nov. 2007
This review is from: SMELL THE MAGIC (Audio CD)
Their songwriting's not exactly fantastic, opting for militaristic call-and-response vocals and structures. Nonetheless there are some definite moments of inspiration - Shove, Death Wish and American Society are probably the best songs on the record; stomping, dirty rock songs with a fiery punk attitude and vitriolic passion.

I'd like to give this record 3.5 stars but that's not really a possibility, sadly. I'd definitely recommend it; it's still a lot stronger than you'd be led to think by their disappearance from the musical landscape.

This is GENUINE Rock, too. We're not talking halfway-house, second-rate, insipid wannabe music. We're talking guitar solos, feedback, shout-along choruses, riffs. The real deal. This band rock far harder than a lot of bands with male members and it's alarming to have seen them disappear into oblivion as they seem to have done. American Society, in particular, seems to me to be a much better version of Green Day's American Idiot. It's also pretty nice to hear women playing a form of music that's often derided as an overtly and laughably male one.

Lyrically, however, this record often falls pretty far from great and, as I said, the songwriting is not always top notch. Worth picking up, but perhaps not the best L7 album to start with.

Speed Ballads
Speed Ballads
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as it might have at one point seemed,, 20 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Speed Ballads (Audio CD)
From Rush Hour With Love is a somewhat misleading introduction to the album - sounding like a fully-conscious, standard Republica song; a blatant attempt to keep the people who liked the self-titled record happy, it doesn't really prepare the listener for the creativity that is to come. Fading Of The Man, for instance, always reminded me of Animals-era Pink Floyd - miserable, spacey and quietly unpleasant. Try Everything is a more standard Republica pop song, but I'd say it was a few thousand miles better than From Rush Hour With Love. Luxury Cage, Faster Faster and Nothing's Feeling New are all, well, a bit naff and uninteresting, really. They make up the Dull portion of the album. The next song after that, Millenium, might have been OK before the millenium came and went, but now it's 2007...

However, the last three tracks, Pretty Girl Hate, Kung Fu Movies and Pub Pusher, are all fantastic.

So effectively I've said that 5/10 songs on this album are really good. From Rush Hour With Love's OK, too, so we can call it 6/10. That might sound like "just above average" but I'd definitely consider buying it for those 6 tracks. Shame they couldn't have made it JUST those 6 tracks and called it an EP, really - it would have been a great EP if they had.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2008 12:36 AM BST

Leftism
Leftism
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars So, yeah, we all know the music is good, 17 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
But am I the only person who wants to vomit when the vocals rear their ugly head? I mean, seriously... "I'm searching to find a love that last long time / I just need to find peace and unity." No. No no no. I'm sorry, but as soon as the vocals appear I have to skip the tracks. Which therefore completely ruins the album for me. Sorry.

Blood Mountain [U.S. Version]
Blood Mountain [U.S. Version]

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible., 23 July 2007
First off, who'd have thought Prog-Metal could be this catchy? I find myself wandering around singing, not their vocal parts, but their riffs. There are moments of sublime yet epic beauty, too - Sleeping Giant, in particular, comes to mind. I honestly can't stop this album once it's started, I have to let it play all the way through. Perfect.

Nobody's Home
Nobody's Home

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Avril single ever., 27 April 2007
This review is from: Nobody's Home (Audio CD)
Of course, that's like pointing out that one particular outbreak of the bubonic plague wasn't QUITE as bad as the others, so I'll get to the point. This one's written by Ben Moody (and Avril, obviously) and has that kinda pop-sensibility thingy that Evanescence have. The same kinda... grandiose thing going on, too. I mean, it really does build up nicely. Strong melody, strong use of dynamics... Just generally predictable but strong pop. It's just an alright pop song and that's all.

For my money, the second album (Under My Skin)'s the best stuff she's ever done, and probably will ever do.

Grace
Grace

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm. I guess either you get it or you don't..., 7 April 2007
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
...And I don't really. But I'm getting there slowly.

I'm REALLY glad they put Forget Her on the record. That song was much more instant for me than a lot of the songs on there; only ones I really 'got' were Last Goodbye and the covers of Lilac Wine and Hallelujah at first. The rest is starting to make sense very, very slowly.

HOWEVER, the lack of lyrics on the inlay make it absolutely impossible for me to REALLY listen to it. To just lie there on my bed reading the lyrics as they come up, which is how I get into CDs normally.

So that might be why I don't 'get it'.

But I still enjoy the record when I do listen to it. So, um, yeah. Last Goodbye's probably my highlight of the whole record, though Forgive Her and Lover, You Should've Come Over are my other two favourites.

While the covers are all fantastic, the fact that there's 3 on an 11 track album is taking the mickey a little in my opinion. Regardless of how great Jeff's version of Hallelujah is, it wouldn't have been possible if Leonard Cohen hadn't written such a damn good song in the first place.

MPD - Psycho [DVD]
MPD - Psycho [DVD]
Dvd ~ Naoki Hosaka

5.0 out of 5 stars Convoluted, bizarre and awesome., 10 Oct. 2006
This review is from: MPD - Psycho [DVD] (DVD)
So yeah, it's confusing as all Hell. I watched it with my girlfriend and, thankfully, she picked up on a whole bunch of stuff I didn't so we managed to piece the plot together. It's a ridiculously interesting series visually; there're little animé bits, and the rain is ridiculously kewl. That said, some of the CGI... Ahem... leaves something to be desired.

One of the best things about Miike films is how well he can incorporate humour; this, like Ichi The Killer and Visitor Q, occasionally throws something downright ridiculous into an otherwise uncomfortable sequence of events and just creates perfect comedy. He really does make it work perfectly.

But anyway. The reason you should buy this is simple; the storyline, however convoluted it may be, is absolutely gripping and, once you've immersed yourself into the MPD Psycho world, has you getting through the whole series in an alarmingly small amount of time.

Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001]
Audition (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Ryo Ishibashi
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Miike's masterpieces, 26 Aug. 2006
For anyone who's not yet heard of Takashi Miike, here's a little background. He directs about 5 films a year and still finds time to appear as an actor in others. He regularly gets performances from actors and actresses (or, sometimes, people with no acting knowledge, experience or anything else - he'll put someone into a film because of the chemistry he knows they'll bring in, sometimes) that are well above-par. He's famous for the violence and rampant insanity in his films - though some of his best work is stuff that manages to avoid descending into violent chaos.

This is one such film. If I had my way the DVD packaging would have no pictures on it at all: just a big, black front cover declaring "Audition," "Directed by Takashi Miike" and maybe some of those review scores like we've got here. Seriously, you really don't need to know anything about the plot before watching it.

Back to the acting - y'know how awful it nearly always is when models try to act? The leading lady in this particular film is a model, and she's absolutely fantastic. It's impossible to imagine anyone playing the role of Asami better than she does. That said, the whole cast are fantastic.

This film's... Well, I don't really wanna talk much more about it. But if you've got a fully functional brain and some appreciation for really great, deep filmmaking I'd highly recommend you give this film a chance.

Other Miike films I'd highly recommend you check out are:

Ichi The Killer (unrated/uncut version, available here on Amazon I believe - the Violence Is Golden film)

The Happiness Of The Katakuris (an absolutely brilliant musical)

Rainy Dog (second film in the Black Society Trilogy and quite possibly the best)

Visitor Q (THIS is the one for people after something a little sick. It's also rather good, in an odd way.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7