Profile for sparkle > Reviews

Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook
by Rose Elliot
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite recipe book, 6 Jan 2010
I bought this book on a whim. At the time I was fed up of veggie cookbooks full of recipes with cheese in, and was looking for something lighter as I wanted to lose weight. I also needed to try and stablise my blood sugar for health reasons.

My copy is covered with food and water stains. I keep it permanently in the kitchen and use it whenever I'm stuck for inspiration for a dish.

I have found this an extremely useful book - okay so not all of the recipes are truly low-gi but Rose Elliot does state which ones don't fit the low-gi model in her introductions. The starred recipes, of which there are many, are low-gi and stated by the author to be 'perfect for slimmers'. Particular favourites of mine are 'Pizza Bake' and 'Slow Cooked Black Beans', both starred recipes.

All in all I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a change from cheese laden veggie recipes and who maybe wants to lose a little weight.

Short Term Manifesto
Short Term Manifesto
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars snakes in the mirror!, 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Short Term Manifesto (Audio CD)
I am a great lover of electro music, indie and punk, and what I love about this record is that it takes the best from all of these genres to create something which is very special. 'Snakes' is a brilliant track and just deserves to be a top ten hit. It is catchy, has punky guitars, a brilliant electronic bass sound and a stylophone! No wonder Lamacq plays it on his show! But it doesn't stop there, the album also gives us the sublime 'Shine Tester, Shine Tester' which is kind of like three songs sandwiched into one, the uber cool electro of 'Ice Major', the broken music box beauty of 'Different Eyes', and the epic 'Maybe'.

I was at their Guildhall gig on 12th May and they blew the other bands out of the water! This has been a well anticipated debut for those 'in the know' about Portsmouth's best kept secret.