Profile for Ms. J. Brooks > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Brooks

Ms. J. Brooks "Jaz Design" (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Chestnut Brown Horse Cuddly Pony Pen biro / Pencil Topper
Chestnut Brown Horse Cuddly Pony Pen biro / Pencil Topper

5.0 out of 5 stars Horse-tastic, 16 Jan 2011
A little back story: My Grandad watches horse racing, and likes to write down the scores every day. Every day, he'd have trouble finding a pen, his wife had moved it etc. So for Christmas, I thought, I need to get something he will never lose, and will always be obvious what it is for. Enter the Horse Pen Topper.

It really is rather cute, and probably aimed at children rather than grandparents. I can't vouch for the pen itself as I didn't use it before gifting it, but as you can put this on any pen I don't think that's that important. It went down a treat as a funny-but-useful present.

Trend Collection, Daydream Storage Box
Trend Collection, Daydream Storage Box

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dimensions, 18 Jun 2009
These aren't anywhere in the spec.

23cm x 15.5cm x 13cm

The sides popper together. They are made of a cheap feeling plastic, but at the same time do look very cool. I had wanted something a bit bigger, but can easily make use of these.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2010 12:26 PM GMT

Trend Collection, Lollygarden Storage Box
Trend Collection, Lollygarden Storage Box

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dimensions, 18 Jun 2009
These aren't anywhere in the spec.

23cm x 15.5cm x 13cm

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2009 2:22 PM BST

Prestige Insignia Brushed Stainless Steel Toaster, 2 Slice
Prestige Insignia Brushed Stainless Steel Toaster, 2 Slice

3.0 out of 5 stars Toasts well, though quite large., 18 Jun 2009
I spent a long time looking at reviews of toasters after my last one died a death. None of them really told me what I wanted to know: does normal bread fit or does it poke out the top? Does it toast well on both sides? Do fat things like bagels fit?

In the end my desperation for crumpets won out and I grabbed this one noticing it was on sale.

To answer my questions: Normal bread (Warburtons, Hovis etc) does poke out the top, though it does just about fit sideways without mangling it horribly.

It seems to toast equally on both sides of the bread.

Bagels would fit. Large crumpets definitely do, I've even used those little "toastie bags" to make cheese toasties in it with two large slices of bread in one slot and it fits.

Those things aside, my other half wasn't too happy with the way the timing works. You press the button to increment by 1 and therefore there is no fine tuning of your toasting time, unlike a toaster with a dial. That said, I have my toast on 2, my crumpets on 5 - it seems to be fine! No fine tuning necessary.

It doesn't feel that well put together, but for £15, I can't complain that much. I will however say it is quite bulky, I don't think it needs to be quite so big to be honest, and it was annoying to lose some of the sideboard to it. I'll add that to my list of questions for next time!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2009 2:55 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, though a little bulky., 18 Jun 2009
I bought this for my Pentax Optio S12 which is a very small camera. The camera fits the bag perfectly and I have no doubt that it is well protected. It also looks very cool and is perhaps a bit more stylish than other cases I looked at.

The only thing to note is the shape of the case does make it a little bulky, which is fine and what I expected, but if you're looking for a more snug fit then I'd recommend something else.

SanDisk Memory Stick Micro 2048MB Mobile
SanDisk Memory Stick Micro 2048MB Mobile
Offered by Firmbarn Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little card, 23 Aug 2007
Works like a charm.

Those of you complaining about the delivery charges - that applies to all the sellers on here, and is an Amazon stipulation IIRC because it's under "electronics and photographs". Any of you who have ever sold on here will know that you can't change the delivery/postage charges. Probably worth talking to Amazon about this, not criticising the sellers.

Finding Neverland [DVD] [2004]
Finding Neverland [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars "I Believe In Fairies", 8 April 2005
I bought this movie, knowing very little about it. I knew it was about J M Barrie and I knew it had Depp and Winslet. Depp and Winslet seemed enough reason to buy it alone, along with all the hype. I was blown away!
After it arrived, I wasn't so sure if I should have bought such an impulse, but after ten minutes I was lost to the world!
I don't think it matters at all if you were a Peter Pan fan, I certainly wasn't. This movie spoke to me as it would to everyone, it's about escapism, about Neverland. It's about one man's struggle to be inspired, and he finds it, and this in itself, to me, is inspirational and is what made the movie beautiful.
The whole movie is a masterpiece, don't let anyone tell you any different. If they didn't like it, they had their reasons. I should imagine it's not to everyone's tastes. This is one you have to judge for yourself.
Enjoy and be astounded.
With regards to the DVD, the special features are actually quite good and it's worth the however much extra for them (if you're a fan of the movie).

Lasher Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches)
Lasher Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches)
by Anne Rice
Edition: School & Library Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars Lasher, 6 April 2005
I did enjoy this book immensely, but was kind of glad to get it out of the way which was probably caused by reading it straight after The Witching Hour.
It is very well written and I promise you it will keep you hooked.
It's advisable to read The Witching Hour first, though I suppose one could get away without it, there's a lot there with regards to plot development which one finds useful.
Summary
+ You find out what Lasher is, and from whence he came.
+ Rice is magnificent in her portrayal of events and includes some unexpected ones, keeping the reader gripped.
+ You get to see more of Mona (who is fast becoming a favourite character of mine)
- I can't think of any negatives...
Enjoy :)

Wrong Turn [DVD] [2003]
Wrong Turn [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Eliza Dushku
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Turn for Dushku?, 6 April 2005
This review is from: Wrong Turn [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I have to say, this was definitely an average horror flick. There are jumpy moments, and some incredibly gruesome ones. The plot is a little thin, and in places almost unbelievable (in the literal sense). If you happen upon this movie/are a Dushku fan/are a horror flick junkie then I'd say watch it, but don't expect miracles.
On the plus, Dushku is her usual "ballsy" self throughout most of the movie and the special effects, particularly with regards to the three "people" are quite impressive.

XFX GF FX5200 AGP8X 256MB DDR DVI/TVO
XFX GF FX5200 AGP8X 256MB DDR DVI/TVO

3.0 out of 5 stars Graphics Galore, 4 Mar 2005
I bought this card for use with The Sims 2 and though I'm sure there are fantastic cards out there, for a girl on a budget this was a good find.
The game now runs with all high specs, which is basically what I was looking for.
Take into consideration the other reviews before purchase, and also get advice on what you want it for. I got a lot of advice before making the purchase, simply because it is quite a large one (for me) moneywise.
Summary
+ Cheap
+ Did what I wanted it to
+ Makes the Sims 2 all purty :)

Page: 1 | 2