Profile for Phil G > Reviews

Content by Phil G

Phil G

Dealgadgets® Bike Mount Nokia Lumia 920 TwoSave (double secured) for Bikes Car Holder
Offered by FlyArt

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin..., 26 Oct 2013
There's not a huge amount to say here: it does a good job of securely holding my 920 in place. It's worth noting that you'll need to remove your lumia fron amy protective case you may have on it - otherwise it won't fit into the clamp.

All the phone buttons are accessible so there is no hampering of use.

The only minor complaint is that while there is a gap in the housing for the camera lens, if you use it in place (eg. a point of view handlebar video) you'll get a whole hunk of clamp taking up a portion of the image. The actual phone holder needs to be raised higher above the clamp, or the clamp itself needs to be less obtrusive (it's pretty chunky).

Still, a minor niggle.

D-Link ShareCenter 2 Bay Cloud Network Storage Enclosure
D-Link ShareCenter 2 Bay Cloud Network Storage Enclosure

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick initial set up, good price, but some flaws..., 26 Oct 2013
When my Iomega home media network drive (cloud edition) decided to render itself completely inaccessible a few days ago I opted to replace it with an enclosure rather than an all-in-one. As the drive in my Iomega was fine, I was quickly able to remove it and pop it into the D-Link. Installation of the drive was a breeze and took bare minutes to get connected up and the installation underway. Setup CD guides you through the basics; having some familiarity with simple networking meant the process was very straight forward (although anyone new to it all might not be sure what options to select and why).

So, the basic install was pretty simple - I had some issues with it accepting usernames and passwords (for mapping network drives) but a quick Google gave me a resolution.

My primary purpose for the NAS is as a media server across my home devices (desktop, MS Surface 2, Sony and Samsung networked Blu-Ray players etc.) - this is where I felt the product was let down. The installed media server software is very, very basic - and while it did work, and I was able to view and access my media files across devices, there appears to be no auto-refresh interval for the media index. So anytime you add new files to the shares, you have to log in to the management interface and force a refresh - painful and it renders the software all but useless. If it has a default refresh time I didn't wait around to find out. Luckily, there is an excellent step by step guide knocking around on the web to help you install Twonky onto the device. It took about 10 minutes to get installed and running and I promptly turned off the onboard media server software. Certainly if better media server software was installed I'd have happily given this 4 stars rather than 3.

I'm also not overly enamoured with the web management interface - I find it a bit clunky and I can see how some of the design might confuse users (there's not enough useful 'help'). There's an unpolished feel to some processes - for example adding users and groups (add a user and it will want you to assign them to a group, but you might not have created it yet - so add a group before the user and it will want you to add users to it... you end up half doing one process, doing the other, then going back to finish off the first half... so yes, unpolished is an apt word)

Another strange behaviour: whenever I log in to it as an administrator it always rejects my password the first time, but lets me in on the second attempt.

I now have the NAS running over the internet (again, a few teething troubles with this but it didn't take long to resolve) and it works satisfactorily but nothing to write home about.

I've not used any of the other provided software features (backup etc.) so can't comment on them.

Final annoyance is the lack of a mobile phone Access-NAS app for the Windows Phone platform.

So, the good:

Quick to install drives
Quiet unit
Basic install is relatively simple
Good value for money

The bad:

Very basic media server software (I'd recommend finding a NAS that comes with something like MyTwonky Server pre-installed for a better experience)
Clunky management interface
No Windows Phone App (not an issue of course if you have Android or iPhone, but Win Phone is an expanding O/S that shouldn't be overlooked like this)
Setup could use some refinement to tidy up the rough edges
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2014 12:40 PM BST

Babyliss 7056CU Cordless Rechargeable 8 In 1 All Over Grooming Kit
Babyliss 7056CU Cordless Rechargeable 8 In 1 All Over Grooming Kit

1.0 out of 5 stars An expensive nasal hair trimmer.., 9 Nov 2012
... which is pretty much what this amounts to; the cutting speed is shambolic and I've got thin and short hair - even that feels like a hardship to try and cut. Once fully charged it wheezes its way through your hair like an asthmatic running a marathon, completely running out of energy before the finish line is even in sight. The cutting head is small in terms of width, and the adjustable cutting guide is very limiting if you want to have anything in the way of choice when it comes to length of cut. On the plus side, the nasal hair trimmer worked quite well for the remaining seconds of battery charge.

I really cannot recommend this at all - it's a poor product that just does not do what it's supposed to. I certainly wouldn't buy another BaByliss product after my experience with this one.

DURAGADGET Black Water Resistant Neoprene Case For Microsoft Surface RT And Surface Pro
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for the Microsoft Surface, 9 Nov 2012
It's only getting 1 star as it's the lowest score I can give it...

While I'm sure this is a perfectly reasonable product, in this case it is being sold as suitable for the Microsoft Surface - having just received the cover, and with my basic grasp of physics, I can confirm that there is no way the Surface will actually fit into the cover; it's simply not wide enough. And that's without having the touch or type covers fitted to the tablet. It's annoying to encounter such a misleading product description.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2012 7:54 AM GMT