Profile for Mysticman > Reviews

Content by Mysticman

Mysticman "Magus" (Nr Brighton, E. Sussex)

Scouting For Girls
Scouting For Girls
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Scouting For Wimps!, 25 July 2009
This review is from: Scouting For Girls (Audio CD)
Well, I picked this CD up for £1.50 in a charity shop and I can see why the last owner was so keen to donate it... I almost feel robbed myself! I could not belief it when I first listened to this album, as track after track is about a girl or a relationship. It's not until track 8 that we get some form of respite, with the song 'I Need A Holiday' (very apt), from this hapless singers constant whining about women. Of course by track 9, who've guessed it, we're back on familiar territory with a song about a guy who decides to stalk a lover who's walked out on him! At least the final track brakes the monotony with a quirky song titled 'James Bond'. No doubt the band's name refers to their pastime of constantly being on the lookout (or scouting, ha ha!) for girls...

Love (and money) may indeed make the world go around, but it makes for one cheesy and uninspired music CD. I am also reminded of 'The Feeling', another bubblegum pop group with tweeness in spades! I have given the CD a couple of listens to make sure I'm not being too harsh and I've decided to award it one star. This is based on warming slightly to the bouncy cheerfulness of some of the songs on my second listen. Who knows, after my third listen I may regret not awarding it two stars... But somehow I think not!

Opheliac
Opheliac

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... I'm blown away like a leaf in Autumn!!, 8 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Opheliac (Audio CD)
I can't remember the last time I was so excited about discovering a new artist as I am about our dear Miss Emilie. This album is an experience to listen to and truly stunning! Upon hearing it for the first time I loved it immediately, even though I felt like I'd just suffered some kind of aural assault! In this age of manufactured girl/boy bands it's wonderful to discover a genuine singer-songstress with real talent and a sense for the theatrical. Dark and melodic and with more hooks than a fishing competition 'Opheliac' leaves you feeling shell-shocked and desperate for more...

I'm not going to review every song on this album as they're all brilliant, but I will say the title track 'Opheliac' and 'Swallow' are my personal favourites. Like so few genuinely unique & talented female artists' of our time, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Bjork and Sarah McLachlan to name but a few... EA is quite definately in a class of her own! Also, for those of us who remember, being the wrong side of forty as I am, there is more than a passing resemblance between our Miss Emilie and a certain Miss Lena Lovich. The latter being another great act from a generation ago with a taste for the theatrical and hair to match.

Anyway, before I begin to ramble to much I'll just say to anyone reading this... BUY IT, BUY IT NOW AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT... THIS CD IS AWESOME! I've already ordered some of her previous albums and can't wait...

Angels Fall Ii
Angels Fall Ii
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

3.0 out of 5 stars Come on Mark... you're better than this!, 13 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Angels Fall Ii (Audio CD)
I've been a Mark Doyle fan for quite a while, ever since first hearing his superior HK compilations. In my opinion he does seem particularly gifted at compiling great chillout albums...

However, I must say I'm a little disappointed with this latest offering. I wanted to like it from the start, but the start is where it started to go WRONG! I found the opening track by Sarah Whatmore slightly weak & insipid, 'Somewhere I Belong'... (clearly not track 1, CD1). Whereas Laura Fowles 'Why' is an infinately better song. CD1 has an obvious acoustic feel and although there are some undeniably great songs (alongside the twee sounding 'This Time' by The Feeling), overall I felt there was something lacking... Where's that certain Mr Doyle Magic?

CD2... NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! This is what I've come to expect from MD, songs like 'Midnight Sun' by Speck Mountain (sounding reminiscent of Mazzy Star), 'Get You' by Claire Nicolson and the superb 'Hearts A Mess' by Gotye. Showcasing the newest & the best is what it's all about, as well as excellent songs by more established artists such as 'Beauty *2' by Ladytron and 'The White Room' by Winona. The quality of content on CD2 only highlights even more what's lacking on CD1.

CD3... Well, there are indeed some great tunes on this CD also, BUT... yes you knew it was coming, didn't you? These are tried and tested chillout comp favourites, YAWN!! To be fair to MD, he does say in his sleeve notes that CD3 is a collection of personal favourites. However, I must echo another reviewer by adding that I already have most of these tracks, many of them on MD HK compilations! Although, MD has every right to include them on his very own 'Fierce Angel' label. I do feel that it's a waste of a CD, although if it introduces some old music to new ears that's a good thing. The only song that definately has no place on this (or any other) CD is Bonnie Bailey's murdered cover of Kate Bush's song 'This Woman's Work'... NO, NO, NO!! While the cover of Judie Tzuke's song 'Stay With Me Till Dawn' by Fac 15 adds to the original.

As for the repackaging... It seems somewhat belated to embark on it now rather than at the launch of the 'Fierce Angel' label. I quite like those cartoon lovelies that stare out from so many HK compilations and 'Angel Falls 1' is no exception. Although, I do understand the need to create a distinct brand identity. My only criticism is the model Domenique, She looks like she needs a good meal! SHE'S ALL CHIN & BONES!! Whatever happened to real women, curvy & feminine? There are too many stick thin, masculine looking fashion models represented in the media these days... You're selling a CD compilation not a copy of 'Harpers & Queens'!!