Profile for N. Carey > Reviews

Content by N. Carey

N. Carey (Nova Scotia, Canada)

Wall Barometer Good Quality Weather Instrument
Wall Barometer Good Quality Weather Instrument
Offered by Cjh Clocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 24 May 2014
I'm very pleased with this barometer. I had no difficulty in setting it to the correct measurements. It looks good and I enjoy tapping it to see what's happening with the weather :-)

10 litre Big Watering Can in green
10 litre Big Watering Can in green
Offered by Dealsdirect247

5.0 out of 5 stars A good purchase, 24 May 2014
A nice strong watering can. It has a measuring guide which is useful when I am putting plant food into the water.

Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, 24 Feb 2012
I enjoyed listening to this. It's good to have the songs that I enjoyed listening to on the radio, in my youth, on one CD collection.

Local Hero [DVD]
Local Hero [DVD]
Dvd ~ Burt Lancaster

3.0 out of 5 stars Local Hero, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Local Hero [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this because it was recommended to me so I didn't know much about it beforehand. I found it very slow moving and never watched it to the end. Perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it and I'll probably try it again - but not yet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2012 1:37 AM BST

by Carolyn Humphries

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 12 July 2011
I'm really pleased with this book. I've had to restock on some of my cookery/household books, since coming to Canada, and needed a basic one for freezing. I've planted a veggie garden which is doing very well, and unfortunately I have to be away from home when it'll be time to harvest. I wanted a clear guide to freezing as I'm going to have to leave my husband to do this, and he's never done it before. This book will be fine for him. The advice is clear, simple and straight forward and is a very useful addition to a kitchen library.How to Freeze Fresh Food at Home: Everything You Need to Know About Freezing and Freezer

At His Very Best [2CD]
At His Very Best [2CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars John Barrowman - 'At His Very Best', 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: At His Very Best [2CD] (Audio CD)
I've enjoyed listening to this. John is very talented and has a great voice. The price is also very reasonable ( to say the least!) for this double CD.

The Great War and Modern Memory
The Great War and Modern Memory
by Paul Fussell

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great War by Paul Fussell, 23 Mar 2010
I needed this book for an online course and ordered a copy from the library. I found it very interesting and decided to buy my own copy for future use. I needed it for a poetry course but the book provides very interesting and useful information about WW1, as well as poetry. I recommend it.

The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry (Penguin Classics)
The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry (Penguin Classics)
by Various contributors

4.0 out of 5 stars Penguin Book of First World War Poetry, 20 Feb 2010
I bought this book because it was needed for an online course that I am studying. I had a library copy but decided to buy my own as I thought I would use it again. The book gives small bios of the poets which is useful. The poems are separated into different periods of the war, for example, training and early days of the war. This is helpful but there is no alphabetical list of poets which makes it a little difficult if you are looking for a poet rather than a specific poem. Overall though, I am pleased with it and will use it in the future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2014 3:43 PM BST

Paupers and Pig Killers: The Diary of William Holland, a Somerset Parson, 1799-1818 (Letters & Diaries)
by William Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite read, 24 Aug 2009
I borrowed this book from my local library and liked it so much that I decided to buy a copy! The fact that I know the area that William Holland writes about added to my enjoyment, but it is still a highly readable and entertaining book regardless of whether or not you know the locale.

As the title says it is the diary of William Holland from 1799 - 1818. I found it interesting reading the comments of a person who was alive at the Battle of Trafalgar, for example, and hearing his opinion on it, as he heard the news. The book is a social history which I also found very interesting. I was amused at his descriptions of the various characters in his parish, and beyond its boundaries, and was given an insight into the social life of the times.

I was also struck by our common humanity and shared his concern over his son's fall from a horse, and his pride in his scholastic achievements. I sympathised with him in his health problems and admired him for continuing his work while he was obviously in a lot of pain. I became interested in what was happening in the lives of his family and other characters in the book.

As I said I bought this book after borrowing it from my library, because I wanted my own copy to read again, and again. I recommend this book as an interesting and entertaining read which contains social history, humour and which also higlights our common humanity with our ancestors.