Profile for Juan Merello-Galasso > Reviews

Content by Juan Merello-G...

Juan Merello-Galasso "Sachs" (Santiago, Santiago Chile)

Kaufmann: Mozart/Schubert/Beethoven/Wagner
Kaufmann: Mozart/Schubert/Beethoven/Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars l new reliable tenor, 27 Dec 2009
When I listened, many years ago, the first Vickers' RCA mono recital I got extremely impressed; not so my friends. Time gave me the reason with generosity. I will be very compact. I feel that this young German tenor is "the" tenor of the moment together with Juan Diego Florez, who's a tenore di grazzia. I am speaking straightly of seriuosness. I feel also that Kaufmann has the same seriousness, vocal technique and, perhaps, colour of Jon Vickers with the paramount advantage that he is German and has foreign laguanges facility. We coud say that Kaufmann is a very clever man, more than Vickers, and that he's a bit less "rocky" than Vickers. But throat natural notes and high notes, are very similar. Also Kaufmann is a real modern artist, if a little inclined to sentimental performance (that I don¡'t like), he never reach the exagerate level of Vickers, for example, at the end of studio Tristan or as Samson. Buy his records without hessitation.

Sonatas & Etudes
Sonatas & Etudes

5.0 out of 5 stars A real intelligent, sober artist, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sonatas & Etudes (Audio CD)
I am an old Liszt's Sonata collector. I am from Arrau's homeland. In few words I feel this Wang's CD is a sort of miracolous jewell. I enjoy Mme. Argerich's or Pogorelich's performances very much, as 1932's Horowitz, Pollini's and Zimerman's, between the ocean of acceptable performances, but this one seems to be an aproach in the way of Cohen, but by a most young and nice woman. The other pieces are also very originally played. She has a special touch as Arrau's but very different in its morphology. Nobody, even those who are still doubting arround enjoying Liszt, could remain without buying this work of real art.

The "Gramophone" Classical Music Guide 2010 (Gramophone Classical Music Guide)
The "Gramophone" Classical Music Guide 2010 (Gramophone Classical Music Guide)
by James Jolly

2.0 out of 5 stars A small disapintment, 1 Oct 2009
It's a beautiful big book. But is it a "guide"? Is it an exhautive guide for any collector? Or is it just a selection of issues already appeared in Gramophone Magazine? I think this a very much biased collection of critics of not the majority of recordings at hand for the whole world classical music lovers and collectors. The UK is a very agreable and lovely place, but it is not The World. British do not indeed manage all the important classical music recordings. Also, I feel that the "guide" practically contradicts Gramophone critics and priorities in many works, as for example Liszt's Sonata performances or Wagner recordings that the magazine has recommended enthusiatically. How is it possible that anybody in the world can recommend the 'studio' Liszt's sonata by Arrau when almost all collectors know it is the worst. It is because Gramophone cannot talk about live ones Music and Arts's or Orfeo's? From other view point how to evacuate an objective opinion about Wagner's discography if they ignore productions as Golden Melodram's? The exggerate and flagrant preferences for British artists is more solid than the real excellence of them and results insultive. That is the case of Sir Simon Rattle, that's flagrantly overrated. I stronlgy advice not to buy this book. Better, run to read real objective critics in other different European magazines and try to keep them in mind for the day you go shopping.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2009 7:46 PM GMT