Profile for Mike Wade > Reviews

Ian Dury: The Definitive Biography
Price: 5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 8 Aug 2013
This book is long.
Don't worry because it's also very good indeed.
Meticulously researched and immaculately written, it never drags.
Even handed (which means it is not a bland love letter to its subject) and open hearted, the author 'gets it' - all the complexities and the compromises and the cop-outs - because he's a musician, too, he's been there.
Most revealing and an object lesson in how to write a rock biography.
(But would he have had the nerve to write it if the subject was still alive? I reckon he'd have got a kicking if he had!)
Highly recommended

Kuhn Rikon Household Scissors, Green
Kuhn Rikon Household Scissors, Green

5.0 out of 5 stars top class product, 11 April 2013
Beautifully made and seriously sharp these are the best scissors I've owned, and I've tried a few. I have several pairs and now despair of all my others!

Kuhn Rikon Household Scissors, Yellow
Kuhn Rikon Household Scissors, Yellow
Offered by Home & Kitchen Warehouse
Price: 14.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brillant, 25 Feb 2013
sharp, light, sturdy, handles fit hands really well, come apart for thorough washing - I boght two pairs and shall buy more

Stagg LSDH-25.2 Concert Height Snare Stand
Stagg LSDH-25.2 Concert Height Snare Stand
Price: 29.60

3.0 out of 5 stars or the most robust, but given the price, 25 Feb 2013
I bought this for my Korg Wavedrum as their stand is ludicrously over priced. It works fine but on maximum extension the small footprint feels a little unsteady if you want to give it some wellie! Does the job though

Audio Technica ATHW1000X Hi-Fi Headphones with 3.5 mm Jack Multi-Coloured
Audio Technica ATHW1000X Hi-Fi Headphones with 3.5 mm Jack Multi-Coloured
Price: 575.97

4.0 out of 5 stars very good if slightly odd, 25 Feb 2013
I bought these because I had fancied them for some time and found a pair on amazon at a truly great price. The sound is excellent - not up to the quality of my 650 Grados but very even and uncoloured. Using them and a Dragonfly has transformed my computer based MP3 listening.
Only beefs - the wood is so highly polished it looks a bit plasticky, and the arrangement for fitting to yor head is effective but a bit Heath Robinsonish.
Good cans, though...

Classic Tracks: The Real Stories Behind 68 Seminal Recordings
Classic Tracks: The Real Stories Behind 68 Seminal Recordings
by Richard Buskin
Price: 26.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, 25 Feb 2013
I wanted this bookbecause the subject interests me and because it has got such great reviews, but its price kept me dithering. Really glad I took the plunge. While it's a softback it is beautifully produced and the insightsare a joy to read. If you, like me, are dithering, don't!

Scanpan Classic 28 cm Frying Pan
Scanpan Classic 28 cm Frying Pan
Price: 62.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pans in the world, 10 Aug 2012
Scanpan pans are very expensive. They are worth every penny. They last forever and are a joy to use. They make other pans fell like kid's toys. They make the experience of cooking feel cool - even if it's just egg & bacon. I got rid of all my other pans, took out a mortgage, and bought a load of these. I heartily suggest you do the same.

How to Eat Out: Lessons from a Life Lived Mostly in Restaurants
How to Eat Out: Lessons from a Life Lived Mostly in Restaurants
by Giles Coren

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart & very funny, 10 Aug 2012
Giles has clearly inherited the writing skills that run in the family genes. This book is vulgar, clever, ranty and reflective in - I think - just the right balance.
More importantly it is frequently laugh-out-loud funny. My partner was subjected to much snorting followed by the reading of excerpts - which were funny enough to warrant the interruptions of her crossword, cooking, whatever.
Highly recommended by this reader

Magic Lantern Genie Guides: Nikon D800 & D800e (Magic Lantern Guides)
Magic Lantern Genie Guides: Nikon D800 & D800e (Magic Lantern Guides)
by Simon Stafford
Price: 11.45

2.0 out of 5 stars too little, too soon, 27 Jun 2012
the previous reviews are right - this book is not worthy of the publisher who normally does a good job, I plan to return mine - do not buy this waste of money, wait for a decent job to be done

Nikon COOLPIX P500 Compact Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 36x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

2.0 out of 5 stars Neither fish nor fowl, 2 May 2011
I have been a Nikon user for over forty years with great satisfaction. These days I mostly use a D300S, an armoured D200 for wildlife and an infra-red converted D50 for effects. And for light duties a P7000 is always on hand.
With a week on the Norfolk Broads coming up I was tempted by the P500 - big zoom meant no more fiddling with interchangeable lenses on a boat plus potentially more creative freedom than my P7000 compact - so I bought one. Now I'll be selling one. Why? Let me count the ways:
The camera is neat but almost too lightweight, it feels plasticky and emits cheap sound effects for focus and image capture. It has a ghastly electronic viewfinder (I still prefer a viewfinder to a screen but hadn't expected a harsh mono square of a thing). Its focus system is dreadfully slow, particularly at telephoto lengths where it hunts and fizzes until your subject is long gone, or it has taken an out of focus shot of it, (many, many of these occurred). The images themselves, when in focus, are visibly soft in all but wide/standard lens range. The extreme extended end of the telephoto range is also useless, over and above the aforementioned softness, courtesy of uncontrollable camera wobble brought about by its lightness creating instability in the hands. (Yes, I could put it on a tripod but that defeats the point of it in the first place). And it isn't cheap, either.
Who is it made for, I can't help but wonder?
Too big for a compact, too poor in quality for a semi-pro, too expensive for a toy - you tell me. Anyway, not me is the only thing I can be sure of. So beware, buyer - much as I love my Nikons, this one's a dud.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 8:32 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4