Profile for Mike Wade > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Creation Stories: Riots, Raves and Running a Label
Creation Stories: Riots, Raves and Running a Label

4.0 out of 5 stars The inside story that's stranger than fiction, 13 Oct. 2014
This entertaining, frank and illuminating look at the wilder fringes of the record business pulls absolutely no punches. It's well written and absorbing but not for those of a nervous disposition. It's kind of like John Niven's great book 'Kill your friends' but 100% true, rather than Niven's facion approach that was only 50% true. This book must have made McGee even more enemies in the business than he had before he wrote it, as few escape his critical gaze.

Just For One Day: Adventures in Britpop
Just For One Day: Adventures in Britpop
by Louise Wener

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than just a pretty face, 9 Oct. 2014
I have read literally hundreds of rock biographies and autobiographies and I can tell you this is one of the best handful I've come across.
It's smart and witty yet remains clear-eyed and honest - making it highly engaging. The technique of writing in the present tense within each era is beguiling if not easy to pull off, but she nails it, meaning that - most unusually - the chapters on her early life are every bit as enjoyable as the more fame-filled later ones.
I'm too old to have fallen in love with her when she fronted her fine band Sleeper, as so many men did, but after reading this book it would be hard not to feel a little spark for someone who can write so enchantingly about her failings as much as her success. I was sorry when I'd finished it - now on to the next turgid rock book...

Sex, Drugs & Opera: There's Life After Rock 'n' Roll
Sex, Drugs & Opera: There's Life After Rock 'n' Roll
by Roland Orzabal

4.0 out of 5 stars This is as almost good a book as his albums were great music, 9 Oct. 2014
This is as almost good a book as his albums were great music. Witty, funny, sexy and cleverly plotted, it proved to be a great holiday read. Highly recommended.

Ian Dury: The Definitive Biography
Ian Dury: The Definitive Biography

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 8 Aug. 2013
This book is long.
Don't worry because it's also very good indeed.
Meticulously researched and immaculately written, it never drags.
Even handed (which means it is not a bland love letter to its subject) and open hearted, the author 'gets it' - all the complexities and the compromises and the cop-outs - because he's a musician, too, he's been there.
Most revealing and an object lesson in how to write a rock biography.
(But would he have had the nerve to write it if the subject was still alive? I reckon he'd have got a kicking if he had!)
Highly recommended

Kuhn Rikon Household Scissors, Green
Kuhn Rikon Household Scissors, Green
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars top class product, 11 April 2013
Beautifully made and seriously sharp these are the best scissors I've owned, and I've tried a few. I have several pairs and now despair of all my others!

Kuhn Rikon Household Scissors, Yellow
Kuhn Rikon Household Scissors, Yellow
Offered by Good Thymes

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brillant, 25 Feb. 2013
sharp, light, sturdy, handles fit hands really well, come apart for thorough washing - I boght two pairs and shall buy more

Stagg LSDH-25.2 Concert Height Snare Stand
Stagg LSDH-25.2 Concert Height Snare Stand

3.0 out of 5 stars or the most robust, but given the price, 25 Feb. 2013
I bought this for my Korg Wavedrum as their stand is ludicrously over priced. It works fine but on maximum extension the small footprint feels a little unsteady if you want to give it some wellie! Does the job though

Audio Technica ATHW1000X Hi-Fi Headphones
Audio Technica ATHW1000X Hi-Fi Headphones
Offered by Williamthakker

4.0 out of 5 stars very good if slightly odd, 25 Feb. 2013
I bought these because I had fancied them for some time and found a pair on amazon at a truly great price. The sound is excellent - not up to the quality of my £650 Grados but very even and uncoloured. Using them and a Dragonfly has transformed my computer based MP3 listening.
Only beefs - the wood is so highly polished it looks a bit plasticky, and the arrangement for fitting to yor head is effective but a bit Heath Robinsonish.
Good cans, though...

Classic Tracks: The Real Stories Behind 68 Seminal Recordings
Classic Tracks: The Real Stories Behind 68 Seminal Recordings
by Richard Buskin

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, 25 Feb. 2013
I wanted this bookbecause the subject interests me and because it has got such great reviews, but its price kept me dithering. Really glad I took the plunge. While it's a softback it is beautifully produced and the insightsare a joy to read. If you, like me, are dithering, don't!

Scanpan Classic 28 cm Frying Pan
Scanpan Classic 28 cm Frying Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pans in the world, 10 Aug. 2012
Scanpan pans are very expensive. They are worth every penny. They last forever and are a joy to use. They make other pans fell like kid's toys. They make the experience of cooking feel cool - even if it's just egg & bacon. I got rid of all my other pans, took out a mortgage, and bought a load of these. I heartily suggest you do the same.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4