Profile for Dean Gollings > Reviews

Content by Dean Gollings

Dean Gollings "Dean Gollings" (Nottingham)

Super Secrets of the Successful Jobseeker: Everything you need to know about finding a job in difficult times
by Simon Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book., 9 Jan. 2013
Let me first say that I know Simon, having introduced him to the recruitment industry and trained him from scratch. So he must be good....

Simon knows that if I thought that this book was not up to scratch I would tell him, though I probably wouldn't tell you.The fact is that I believe this book to be an essential guide for anyone who is seeking a new job.It is packed with practical up to the minute advice,and takes a very empathetic approach.

Simon knows even more than he is letting on here,but he knows I would sue him if he included some of my own secrets.However, if you meet him via Cherry,he will pass on those secrets to you, because he has paid me for them...
And no, I do not get a share of the royalties and I do not have a stake in his excellent business.
A superb book. If you are thinking of buying it, do not waste any more time. Just buy it.

Them Crooked Vultures
Them Crooked Vultures

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Band in the World. Fact., 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
I was one of the lucky few who witnessed TCV's surprise performance at the Leeds Festival.As a huge fan of this trio's other work, I can only say that the Leeds appearance was breathtaking for its brutality, complexity and finesse.Would there be an album ? Yes there is...and I bought 3 of them this afternoon...never done that before. Too much to absorb in such little time, but this record will melt your ears and scramble your brains.I came away from the Leeds show telling everyone that TCVs were already the best band in the world by a light year.This album proves it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2009 6:05 PM GMT

The Professional Recruiter's Handbook: Delivering Excellence in Recruitment Practice
by Jane Newell Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to recruitment, 10 Nov. 2009
As someone who has been in the professional recruitment sector since 1982, and who now operates as a specialist recruitment trainer, I was very interested to read this book.
As an introductory text to the basic mechanics of recruitment, the book succeeds on many levels. It is well written, it is packed with excellent explanations of the fundamantals and provides a comprehensive guide to the industry to those who are thinking of entering it (though there wont have been too many of those over the past couple of years.)
Doubtless there are many more experienced recruitment consultants who do not operate to the standards set out in the book, and they could also learn something from it. For a recruiter with 3 - 6 months experience, the processes and approaches described in the book should be regarded as the absolute bare minimum.
To become a star recruiter particularly in the managerial and executive sectors, there are of course countless more strategies you need to discover - and to give your competitors sleepless nights, even more on top of that.
In conclusion I would strongly recommend this book to all rookie consultants,and anyone else who needs a refresher on the some of the first principles of the job.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2014 12:37 AM BST

Countdown To Ecstasy
Countdown To Ecstasy
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favourite album, 11 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Countdown To Ecstasy (Audio CD)
I have benn passionate about rock/pop music since the age of 5, right from the Beatles, Stones, Purple,Zeppelin, Hoople, Little Feat, Punk, Talking Heads, Grunge etc. and in all that time nothing has surpassed the lasting brilliance of Steely Dan's second album.A friend played it to me soon after it was released and I thought it hard work compared to other stuff around at the time, but I stuck with it. Every track slowly reveals itself to be a masterpiece of melody ,atmosphere and great playing, especially if you love the sound of guitars.Tracks to take to your grave include Showbiz Kids and My Old School,but like all the truly great albums,this has no duff tracks and sounds as fantastic now as it did 30 years ago.Do yourself a favour and add it to your collaction.