Profile for Chickpea > Reviews

Content by Chickpea

Chickpea (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World (Version 2.0: Revised, Expanded and Updated) (Tofu Hound Press)
by Bob Torres
Price: 9.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for., 6 April 2011
Having been vegetarian since being 18 I have slowly been moving towards veganism.I bought this book hoping it would help me with the difficulties I was having with vegan stereotypes, problems with eating out & travelling etc.
I was really looking forward to getting it but I didn't find it helped me with any of the problems I was having. In fact it made me feel guilty, inadequate & still confused. It was ranty & used swearing far too often.
I have found a better book to support a vegan transition is
Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-based Diet
Also any of Isa Chandra Moskowitz cookbooks which have, not only fantastically wonderful recipes that enable you to eat veganised versions of your favourite foods, but also a great, non aggressive style of promoting veganism in a positive way.
These are the books that I think can help people become healthy & happy vegans rather than Vegan Freak.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2012 8:24 PM BST

The News Where You Are
The News Where You Are
by Catherine O'Flynn
Price: 5.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a particularly great read, 26 Feb 2011
This review is from: The News Where You Are (Paperback)
I expected to like this book & I really didn't enjoy it. I had to force myself to keep reading & if I hadn't been on a long journey I would have probably taken ages to get through it. There was unnecessary conversations throughout the book which I found irrelevant & dull. I also found I didn't really care that much about the characters.
The best part is the last page! It is a good way to end the story. It just lacks something & I think if you choose not to read it you will not be missing out.

Vegan Brunch
Vegan Brunch
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Price: 10.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Vegan Brunch (Paperback)
So far, I've loved all of Isa's books that I've brought & this book is no exception. She gives some great tips that are really helpful. The perfect pancakes are great at any time of the day & it's wonderful to be able to eat pancakes again. The blueberry muffins & lemon poppy seed muffins are fabulous too. Lots of interesting & useful recipes & I'm looking forward to making lots more of them. This book has a really interesting range of recipes to choose from & is a great addition to any cook book collection.

This Morning I Met a Whale
This Morning I Met a Whale
by Michael Morpurgo
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 7 Feb 2011
This is a beautiful book. Beautifully written & illustrated. Based on the real life stranding of the whale in the Thames in 2006. It highlights environmental issues as well as telling the story of how people tried to save the whale.

A must read whatever your age.

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers
A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers
by Xiaolu Guo
Price: 6.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, 1 Aug 2010
This was one of my favourite books last year & I also purchased it for two different friends who also thought it was fab. It is written from the perspective of a Chinese girl who comes to England & is trying to learn to speak the language. It is easy to read, witty & very interesting to see the misunderstandings that happen. Read it...

Keen Whisper 5124 - 5.0 UK - Beet Red/Gargoyle
Keen Whisper 5124 - 5.0 UK - Beet Red/Gargoyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandles to walk 30 miles in!, 1 Aug 2010
I had only had these sandles for a matter of weeks before I did a 30 mile charity walk. I had no blisters & my feet could have carried on walking quite happily. Lots of people have commented about how nice they are & they look good on a hike as well as round town. A great pair of sandles!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 29 Mar 2010
Lovely shoes, very comfortable BUT make sure you get the right size. I am a size 5 but I have to get a 37. Birkenstocks tend to be large. Great if you have wide feet although I think they do a narrow version too.

Shiva Rea - Daily Energy [DVD]
Shiva Rea - Daily Energy [DVD]
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 29 Mar 2010
This DVD is excellent. However it is not for beginners. If you are a beginner you would be better with Leah Bracknell Yoga & You which is a good basic introduction.
I feel the best feature of this DVD is the matrix which allows you to take sections & put them together to make a routine that is personalised & perfect for you & your needs on any given day. It also means you can vary how long you pracice for very easily. Some of the sections are just 5 minutes long, others 20 & by mixing & matching you can build these different blocks up. There are also pre-set routines, which I've yet to try. There are just so many variations it is incredible. I LOVE this DVD. Thank you Shiva.

Another Dinner is Possible: More Than Just a Vegan Cookbook (Active Teapot Productions)
by Isy Morgenmuffel
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars A great vegan book, 27 Mar 2010
A great book written by great people. I'd eaten at events that they had done the catering for & always enjoyed the food. So I was thrilled to get this book as a present. The recipes are easy to follow or adapt, tasty and ethical.
The burgers are delicious, root vegetable cobbler is fantastic & it was wonderful to have toad in the hole again!! Thank you. Long live the Anarchist Teapot!

The Land of Far-Beyond
The Land of Far-Beyond
by Enid Blyton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this book as a child, 17 Jan 2010
I read this book as a child & the story & pictures have always stayed with me. However I couldn't remember the title or the author. Luckily I recently watched an Enid Blyton drama & found out that she was the author. I quickly purchased it to re-read. It is a fantastic book with beautiful illustrations & I think it is one of Enid Blytons best books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4