Profile for Mr. J. H. Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. H. Williams

Mr. J. H. Williams "jonaganggang" (Norfolk UK)

Page: 1 | 2
To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle moving story that you don't want to end, 14 Aug 2014
I have awarded 5 stars because I feel this beautiful prosaic masterpiece is faultless.

Written through the bright spirited eyes of a 8 year old girl adds the perfect dimension to the book as it gently questions our ethic and moral codes as well as capturing the spirit of youth

I loved it

A Wanted Man: (Jack Reacher 17)
A Wanted Man: (Jack Reacher 17)
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Comic book brilliance, 4 Jan 2014
If I'd relied upon the reviews I read here about this book I would probably not have read it. However I did because I know I can rely upon Lee Child more than I can upon those who start their reviews with 'I've been reading the Reacher books for years but...'

I loved it, it cracks along at a pace with neat character interplay and our grumpy old hero suitably drawn in to a web of intrigue. What more could you ask for. Thank you Lee.

Worth Dying For: (Jack Reacher 15)
Worth Dying For: (Jack Reacher 15)
Price: 3.32

4.0 out of 5 stars A good old fashioned adventure, 17 Nov 2013
I decided to write, albeit briefly, because I really enjoyed this book and if I had listened to the reviews here I could well have decided not to. I've read all the Jack teacher books in a relatively short period of time and one of the things I find interesting is how Lee Child manages to develop an aging character who has been so utterly invincible. Here I think Reacher becomes like a 'Clint Eastwood' type hero, adrift now for so long that he becomes less and less in touch with the world. Setting the story in the bleak surroundings of Nebraska adds hugely to the cowboy vigilante style as our hero gets drawn into a poo peculiarly isolated and victimised community.

I really enjoyed it. Don't be put off

Way Up On The Hill
Way Up On The Hill
Price: 12.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Heart Music, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Way Up On The Hill (Audio CD)
I love this, whatever they did to make this album, it resonates like four people who are really in touch with what they want to do and the songs are genuine, strong and emotional. what ever they do after this, it's a hell of a benchmark!

Betraying the NHS: Health Abandoned
Betraying the NHS: Health Abandoned
Price: 21.57

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading and ill-informed, 31 May 2012
Mr Mandelstam delivers an individual and essentially ill informed account of events born of personal interest. At a time when the NHS has been dramatically changed by the Health Bill 2012 it is a shame that publications such as this are given the credibility of publication!

Captivity
Captivity
by Lander Hawes
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Topic of our Time, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Captivity (Paperback)
Celebrity existence is explored but not to entertain or scandalise us. How refreshing! The main character, Josh, is in the process of adjusting to his recent wealth and fame and we feel it in his daily reflection or mundane routines. The question is can he retain his wholeness? The characters fill out in a plot that flashes back in time and Josh's day to day perception of reality is captured in simple but powerful images which may just be a window. As well as enjoying rich language, crafted paragraphs at times hit the reader with repetition like waves reaching the shore line and Lander Hawes 'take on life' is conveyed. For me the ending embraces life but what about you? Elaine Rowlands.

Displacing The Priest
Displacing The Priest

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate!, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Displacing The Priest (Audio CD)
Like the previous reviewer, I bought this when it came out and I've loved it ever since. I'm searching to buy it for friends rather than sending them CD copies because this guy deserves the money, he's an absolute gem and this is a timeless work of genius, thank you.

Invention
Invention
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Songs played for real, 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: Invention (Audio CD)
Take a listen to this album and you'll hear a thousand influences blended together in a very individual way. I was lucky enough to catch them live at the launch of this album and was really blown away, the songs are so strong, the lyrics are real and about the here and now. I really hope this is the start of a long career and can't wait to hear more!

The Best of.
The Best of.
Offered by HitsvilleUK & more
Price: 8.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Best of. (Audio CD)
Don't buy this, it's not what it says it is. tiny writing on the front tells us that it is a set of new recordings and they are frankly unlistenable. there's no come back as you don't realise until you put the CD on. total rip off and Amazon should be ashamed
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 8:08 PM GMT

My Life
My Life
by Fidel Castro
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I stopped and bought a book, 23 Sep 2010
This review is from: My Life (Paperback)
I was wandering around a bookshop and this book caught my eye, it was so different to the 'easy reads' I'd been going for and the cover just got to me. I'm not sure how much I knew about Castro before the book, he took power in Cuba 4 years before I was born, but what I have learned makes me want to learn more, not just about what happened in Cuba but about what was happening all over the world during his era. It's an absolutely transfixing book, he''s so intense and his attention to detail so sharp that you keep wanting to read pages again to make sure you took it all in. His memories of Che appear throughout the book like postcards to a long lost friend, totally moving yet overwhelming because of the nature of the risks they took together and the way they cheated death. I've found the book truly inspiring, not because I want to be a communist revolutionary but because I want to believe in something so much that I would put my life on the line! Viva Fidel!

Page: 1 | 2