Profile for tubamirum > Reviews

Content by tubamirum

tubamirum

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan Book 3)
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent..., 13 Mar. 2015
One of my all time favourites. I just can't understand why the rest of the "Ryanverse" novels aren't available yet. Please make them available soon!

Backgammon Gold
Backgammon Gold

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent implementation..., 15 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Backgammon Gold (App)
Really enjoying this. The big plus is the fairness of the throw algorithm. I plan on upgrading to the full version soon.

Smash Hit
Smash Hit

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this!, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Smash Hit (App)
I'm not a huge gamer but there's something really wonderful about this. I'm just not sure whether it's the beautiful graphics, the sounds, the gameplay or just the simple joys of smashing glass... Fantastic!

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld series)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld series)

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to the Discworld series., 15 Aug. 2014
I was put off reading this when it came out by some incredibly negative reviews. Having taken the plunge, I'm so glad I did - of course, it's well up to Sir Terry's recent works and personally, I think it's a lot funnier than "Monstrous Regiment"!

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely outstanding bit of kit., 25 May 2014
When I was going to buy a tablet, being a confirmed Apple enthusiast, I was planning on buying one of their products. The only disadvantage they had was price, apart from that, I knew what I wanted and was going out to buy it. However, on the way, I popped into supermarket who were offering the hdx kindles at very special prices so I saw no harm in just taking a look. After all, I've always loved my original Kindle 3G and who knew, maybe upgrading that might be ok too?

Of course, the moment I started to play with it and saw the quality of the screen, I was in love and have been having a great time playing with it. Then of course, there's the Mayday facility...

Having seen the TV ads, which do seem a tad cheesy, I had no great expectations of this service. All I can say is that I was completely wrong. Their 24/7 service is simply outstanding. All the operators I've dealt with, either Irish or American, have been both a delight and an education when working with them.

Downsides, mmm... well, nothing's perfect and I have discovered that annoyingly, some apps that are available for android tablets aren't available for Kindle machines. Not a massive problem but it perhaps is something that may be an issue to a potential buyer, so I'd always advise researching it before purchase. In my case, I'd still have made this purchase so it's not that big of a deal. Just worth mentioning.

It's a great little tablet, the screen quality when watching video material is simply awesome, even the little speakers , whilst not being hi-fi quality, are still fine when watching something. When I'm using my earphones, the sound is wonderful.

Highly recommended.

Mozart: Church Sonatas (Complete)
Mozart: Church Sonatas (Complete)

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful performances by a fantastic chamber orchestra..., 20 May 2014
The performances are both stylish and virtuosic. Affectionate too. It's a part of the repertoire I wasn't terribly familiar with and have been enjoying these works tremendously.

The recording quality is excellent too.

Why withhold the 5th star then? Difficult to explain, really - just lacking the ultimate in phrasing maybe? Perhaps a little thick on the vibrato, occasionally? Yes, I know, I'm nit-picking, but hey, these reviews are always subjective! It is a fantastic album though.

Madden NFL 25 by EA SPORTS
Madden NFL 25 by EA SPORTS

5.0 out of 5 stars THE nfl sim!, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Madden NFL 25 by EA SPORTS (App)
simply the best, although as in real life, a stranger coming to the game for the first time will have a fairly steep learning curve to contend with.

Naive And Sentimental Music
Naive And Sentimental Music

4.0 out of 5 stars serendipity!, 14 Jun. 2013
As I'm sometimes out of touch with developments in music, I was absolutely delighted to find this wonderful large scale orchestral work by one of my favourite composers.

Blistering orchestral playing, wonderful conducting and top recording quality all contribute to making this a wonderful listening experience.

A must have for anyone who enjoys modern orchestral music as well as anyone who enjoyed his "Harmonilehre"...

Wagner: Gotterdammerung (Twilight of the Gods) (Sung in English)
Wagner: Gotterdammerung (Twilight of the Gods) (Sung in English)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... a must have for any wagner lover..., 13 May 2013
Forget the discussion about language - performances as wonderful as these transcend language. Goodall was perhaps the most unappreciated of all the British conductors of his generation but he was a master of the great romantic repertoire, both in the concert hall and in the opera house.

For anyone who feels the ENO orchestra was perhaps stretched by these recordings, I'd just point out that in comparison to say, the Bohm recording from Bayreuth available on Philips, they do indeed sound like a Rolls-Royce ensemble.

Rita Hunter's performance as Brunnhilde can stand comparison with anyones. Full stop.

I've loved these performances, not just this but the others in the cycle too, since I was lucky enough to experience the production whilst it was on tour back in the late 70's and can heartily recommend them to anyone with an interest in these works. One might imagine the only drawback to downloading these in this format might be the lack of documentation but hey, try searching for the booklets online - it took me all of two minutes to find them and download them.

Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87
Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87

4.0 out of 5 stars simply definitive..., 28 April 2013
Madame Nikolayeva was famously a great friend as well a wonderful interpreter of Shostakovitch's music. Her performances here are wonderful, sometimes awesomely simple, sometimes breathtaking in their virtuosity.

I only withhold the 5th star because the recording quality is often quite poor to our modern ears. Still, an unmissable performance of some magnificent repertoire.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3