Profile for This 'n' that etc > Reviews

Content by This 'n' that etc

This 'n' that etc (Lancashire)

Turn of the Cards
Turn of the Cards
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic, 14 May 2010
This review is from: Turn of the Cards (Audio CD)
I bought this album on vinyl from a second hand record shop 25 years ago. I loved it then but hadn't listened to it for years. Since buying the album again on CD I've barely stopped playing it. Musically brilliant, its haunting melodies, enchanting and pure vocal, and the quality of the orchestration are simply superb. Cold Is Being (based on Albinoni's adagio) is probably the best blend of classical and progressive music ever. Renaissance were a much under-rated outfit - and this is without a doubt one of their best.

Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle For Windows ME/CE/2000/XP/Vista(32-Bit)/Windows 7
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - does what it's supposed to, 8 Mar 2010
Worked straight away, and has continued to work without any problems. Good download speed. Only problems are minor: the software that came with it adds things to the machine that aren't necessary and the manual was for a slightly different product. Would buy again.

Eleven Kinds of Loneliness (Vintage Classics)
Eleven Kinds of Loneliness (Vintage Classics)
by Richard Yates
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 18 May 2009
I recently discovered Yates - and I am so glad I did. This collection of short stories is thought-provoking, abiding, and beautifully written. The characters are vivid, and he captures the contradictions in the essence of 1950s America superbly. It is true that the stories are a little gloomy, but that doesn't mean there isn't real humour there too (redolent of Morrisey). I am glad I discovered Yates - a truly under-appreciated writer.

Fujifilm FinePix S5600 Zoom Digital Camera - Black (5.0MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 1.8 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little camera and exceptional value, 31 July 2007
I've had my 5600 for about three months now and taken over 3500 photographs with it. I have found it to be extremely versatile with good macro capabilities, adequate optical zoom for most purposes, and the camera works well in all lighting conditions. The video function is superb.

My only criticism is that the auto focus is not always the sharpest when using the optical zoom to its capacity, but this has not been a major problem and can be overcome by manual focus.

This camera wouldn't suit the needs of a professional photographer, but as a keen amateur photographer on a budget this is a great piece of equipment. It is simple to use (my 7 year old has taken good pictures with it) but the manual overrides allow for creativity too.

Would I recommend it? Definitely. I could start a fuji owner's club with family and friends who have bought this camera since I got mine!