Profile for James Bradbury > Reviews

Content by James Bradbury

James Bradbury (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Nalgene ATB All-Terrain Bottle 22 Oz with Black Lid Transparent transparent
Nalgene ATB All-Terrain Bottle 22 Oz with Black Lid Transparent transparent
Offered by Outdoor4Fun

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bottle, brittle lid hinge, 10 Jan. 2014
I got this bottle for my road bike as in the variable British weather and country lanes there's quite a lot of muck which ends up on the nozzle, even with mudguards.

First, the taste is good and a lot less plasticky than some other bottles. I've put it through the dishwasher (without the lid) and it seemed to clean up nicely.

It is comfortable to hold and squeeze. The hard nozzle clicks positively in and out and closes when the clear domed cap is folded over. There's a bit of a knack to opening the cap one-handed, but it's not too bad. The cap certainly keeps the nozzle clean. The only downside is that the clear cap is made of quite brittle material and clumsy operation (while cycling) meant that it broke at the hinge.

I still use the bottom without the lid, but it's a lot to pay for a bottle without the lid.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright bulb, nice colour, 15 July 2013
This does a good job in the wall lamp outside our front door. The shape is just right for the cylinder-shaped lamp and it is probably narrower than a conventional bulb. At eye-level it easily helps lights up the door and about a 3 metre radius around it.

Good, fast delivery, good service.

Kenwood True JKP210 Kettle - White
Kenwood True JKP210 Kettle - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple kettle, works well, 13 Oct. 2012
We've had this kettle a few months now and are pretty pleased with it. It has fewer fancy features than many we considered, but does the job well and will happily boil a small mug of water in the time it takes to find a teabag.

It's easy to fill and the limescale filter works unless you tip the kettle right up to get the very last drop out. removing and cleaning the filter is quick and simple.

Filling the kettle is easy too and the lid mechanism seems robust.

One minor complaint is that sometimes flicking the switch on had no effect at first. The easy fix was to pick the kettle up and reseat back on the base at which point the bright white LED in the switch comes on and water gets hot as it's meant to. Annoying if you'd just walked away without checking, though.

No idea how long it will last, but it wasn't expensive, so if we get a couple of years' service I guess that's OK.

SATA PCI - 3 int and 1 ext ports - VIA VT6421a
SATA PCI - 3 int and 1 ext ports - VIA VT6421a

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the internal ports works well, the other..., 13 Oct. 2012
I bought this to use with my optical drive as the Asus Sandybridge mobo I bought some time ago has only two usable SATA ports.

This SATA PCI card operated without a hitch in Ubuntu Linux 12.04 - I just plugged it in and everything worked.

However, as I'm dual-booting with Windows 7 it has to work in both environments. Windows 7's response was BSOD on about 60% of boots if the optical drive was plugged in. I tried several driver sources, all of which had the same version number to no avail.

Eventually I worked out that using the other internal SATA port (the one closer to the metal back plate) worked. The SATA cable I have only just reaches from the top of the case optical drive to the bottom back where the port is.

I've no idea if this was a problem with the individual card, drivers, my (pretty ordinary) optical drive or what. I don't have the time to find out. When setting up a second card in my wife's identical PC I used the same good port and that worked too. If you need to use both internal ports you might have a problem in Windows 7.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 10:01 PM BST

Vicks Comfort Flex Digital Thermometer
Vicks Comfort Flex Digital Thermometer

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke when battery died, 28 May 2012
We found this handy and easy to use for a couple of months of daily use.

Then, all of a sudden it stopped working. A bit soon for the battery to go, but worth a try. Unfortunately it doesn't take the ubiquitous 2032 cell found in every supermarket and petrol station in the country, but an obscure, smaller kind you have to order on the Internet. However, on fitting a replacement, the thermometer beeped loudly, but no display showed. There's no obvious way to reset/fix it, so it has gone in the bin.

2 stars as it seems like a nice, simple design. Maybe we were unlucky, but we won't be buying another.

The Ego Trick
The Ego Trick
by Julian Baggini

5.0 out of 5 stars Popular philosophy with depth, 9 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Ego Trick (Paperback)
If you've ever wondered about what the self is, then The Ego Trick is an accessible and thorough introduction.

Julian Baggini approaches the subject as a philosopher, but draws on ideas from a wide variety of places, from neuroscience to Buddhism. He interviews people whose sense of self has changed dramatically for a variety of reasons and recounts the experiences of those who have suffered various kinds of brain injury that affected their sense of self. He also discusses the idea of self with philosophers of many contrary viewpoints.

Each of these intriguing insights leads us closer to understanding the idea of self. It is as if each discussion is a small piece of the puzzle, either giving us one aspect of the self, or showing what the self can't be, in both cases forming a more complete picture. This is not a book which simply states its opinion and preaches it until you wearily submit. There's a real investigation and discovery. The "bundle theory" that is the book's eventual explanation of the self emerges from these disparate ideas which seem to have only grasped small aspects of the whole self.

Like myself, many people will find the book challenging to their pre-conceived ideas of self, which is exactly why they should read it. The discoveries I made while reading it were often unsettling at first. For example, the tendency for people to apparently change their selves in different situations. When given due consideration, however, this made me feel more understanding towards people whose selves seem quite different from my own.

Those who've read Julian Baggini's other books will be familiar with his highly-readable and non-technical style. The Ego Trick is more in-depth and more thoroughly researched than his previous work and is so demands more concentration. That said, this isn't a book aimed at philosophy geeks, but at anyone with an enquiring mind. If anything, I'd say it could've gone into more detail, but this balance is always a fine one.

In conclusion, this is an excellent and amazingly-accessible discussion of the self that encourages non-philosophers to understand what is a pretty complex topic.

Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router, if a little power-hungry, 22 May 2011
Yes, it's expensive, but in my opinion it's worth the extra money. We live a couple of miles from the exchange and with our ageing Belkin router were getting 2.9Mbps. The BIPAC 7800N brought that up to 4.4Mbps, which is worth having as we play a lot of games. Stability also seems better, but this could be a coincidence and depends a lot on the ISP and line quality.

The web interface is about as good as they come and as simple as you can make something like that. We're using the WPS with a wireless HP printer and that was trouble-free to set up too. I haven't fiddled with any of the advanced quality of service features, etc, but haven't really needed to.

On the downside, it does get a bit warm and the lights do shine through the vents, neither of which really bother me. Secondly, it does use 11 Watts, when connected but idle, which is more than average. In the grand scheme of things that's not a lot, unless you leave it on all the time.

HP CN216B Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Web Enabled Printer
HP CN216B Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Web Enabled Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Linux-compatible, easy to use, but a bit noisy, 22 May 2011
Overall we're very pleased with this printer/scanner, but there are some pros and cons.

Cons:
After about a month the printer reported an "Ink System" error and the printerhead refused to centre so I couldn't clean it as advised on the HP website troubleshooting guide. However, full marks to HP who replaced it free-of-charge with the minimum of fuss. I'm hopeful that the new printer will be OK.

Power consumption (YMMV, these are what I've recorded at the wall socket):
On, idle, ready to print: 5 Watts
Off, but PSU light on: ~0 Watts

I'm far more concerned about idle power than the power used to print. For us printing is a relatively rare and short-lived event, but like many devices, it may spend many hours sitting idle. The printer uses 5 Watts when idle. Plenty of devices manage to use less than a watt in this state and my high spec PC and two monitors together only use 6W when "off" but plugged in. Apparently it is "Energy Star Compliant", but I feel it could do better.

They included a CD and manual. The waste and expense seems unnecessary. In this day and age, I'd be happy to download these if I needed them, plus they'd be more up to date.

The only other (minor) issue is that it's quite noisy when printing. Each time is grabs a sheet it make a fairly loud "Whack!", like someone clapping their hands perhaps. It also shakes the filing cabinet around a bit - might be annoying if it's on your desk. I guess this is because it's quite fast/vigorous for an inkjet, at least compared to our old HP BC210.

Pros:
It's fast and the print-quality seems fine for documents (not tried photos yet).

It's easy to set up. I didn't even use the USB cable (which was missing from the box, no matter, I already have one). I just set the Billion BIPAC router for WPS (WPA 2) and typed the password into the printer via the touchscreen.

It's Linux-compatible. HP's excellent "Linux Imaging and Printing" website provided exactly the drivers I needed to set up our Ubuntu Linux 11.04 PCs. No faffing with config files, no reading through forums or trying third-party hacks. I just selected my printer and OS from lists, downloaded and ran a file. The whole thing took about 10 mins - very easy. I don't think many manufacturers are this clued-up about Linux so much respect to HP.

I haven't used the web-printing option. It sounds clever, but you have to leave your printer and broadband router switched on (and you know what a miser I am with power!) and in any case you can't use the document until you get back anyway. So why not just print when you get back?

In summary, a very good printer. I would award 5 stars, but I'm knocking off one for the 3 fairly minor issues: replacement hassle, noisy printing and more-than-average idle power consumption.

Rimax Urban Wireless Speakers - Weather resistant for indoor or outdoor use.
Rimax Urban Wireless Speakers - Weather resistant for indoor or outdoor use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use, good quality for their size, 22 May 2011
These speakers are very convenient and easy to use. They work throughout our 3-bed house and garden, saving me wiring up the kitchen for sound and providing audio from the media PC during DIY/gardening/cooking. The docs said they need a minimum of 7 metres from transmitter to speaker, but I haven't found this to be a problem. 2m is fine. With the addition of 6AA batteries (Uniross 2700mah, lasted a few hours), they did a grand job for our pub quiz's music round.

Almost no set up is required - besides putting the slightly weird-shaped power adapters together, which convert from a European-style plug to a UK one. These adapters stick out a long way, but do the job and could no doubt be replaced if they didn't fit where you wanted to use them.

It's worth noting that the 4 buttons on top (Power, Auto Tune, Volume Up Volume Down) are electronic, not physical. That means they won't remember your volume setting from last time they were on. You'll probably want to turn them off when not in use as they can make occasional "fzzt" noises when there's no signal. You also need to turn them on with the button each time the power is restored; hiding them on top of a high shelf or cupboard and only turning on/off at the wall wouldn't work.

Power consumption (YMMV, these are what I've recorded at the wall socket):

Per Speaker, idle: 4W
Per Speaker, full volume: 5W
Base unit, idle: 3W (dropping to 0W
Base unit, transmitting: 3W

I'm no audio buff, but I'd describe the sound quality as good for what they are. They're wireless speakers about 21cm high the speaker cone is less than 10cm across, so don't expect faithful reproduction of your 320 Mbps MP3s. They're certainly better than even a modern portable radio and more than adequate for speech or background music. As the speaker cone faces downwards, sound quality and volume is better if placed on a large flat surface like a table or tiled floor, without too much stuff crammed around it. Putting them on carpet or grass and it goes a little quieter.

Original Trendline24 horizontal Leather Pouch Case Fullstyle for NOKIA E90 - incl. original Trendline24 Lanyard

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not a tough finish, 10 Jan. 2010
My Nokia E90 fits in the pouch nicely and the clip is quite secure on my belt.

The only issue is that the black covering tends to rub off at the corners and the clip. So I'm left with scruffy-looking greyish corners. Still, does the job OK.

Page: 1 | 2