Profile for A. Green > Reviews

Content by A. Green

A. Green "design guru" (Cardif UK)

Death Magnetic Limited Edition
Death Magnetic Limited Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Well well, there's life in the old dogs yet, 15 Sept. 2008
I didn't hold out much hope for this un. I've been a fan since the 80s, I first saw em live in 1987 just after the Garage Days EP was released. The thing is that since 1991 I've been buying each new Metallica release as it popped up wanting to love it. The trouble is that I haven't.

For example, I bought St Anger. I played it and played it. But it just didn't have anything memorable on it and now has been gathering dust for some years. Puppets, Lightning, Justice and most of all, Kill em All, still get regular outings even after owning them for over 20 years.

Soooooo it was with this in mind that I cautiously approached Death Magnetic. And surprise, surprise, it's much chuggier than they've been in years, much more technical, much more like..... Justice, Puppets etc.

I listened again. I thought "No this is definitely better, but maybe I just want it to be better". So I listened to St Anger, I listened to Reload and then I listened again to Death Magnetic. Now I'm convinced it's better.

The songs are much tighter. They feel better conceived. They don't have the lingering air of desperately searching for inspiration that I really got a strong sense of from St Anger. The work here is much more epic a'la Justice (I'm not sure the criticisms of that album's complexity were really warranted, especially from this privileged position of hindsight).

Okay, okay DM could do without the 2 ballads. I really don't see the point in power ballads from a band like Metallica - it's not what I want to hear when I chuck their CDs in the player. I mean, Unforgiven III!!! C'mon boys. Does a metaphor concerning the flaying of a certain deceased large sporting animal not spring to mind? But these tracks aside DM is surprisingly, amazingly really quite strong.

Now it's certainly not perfect - even in it's good moments, but DM represents such a monumental leap forward (or should that be backward) that it has to be recommended and strongly recommended at that.

I can only think that Metallica seem to have made a colossal mistake sticking with Bob Rock so long. Rick Rubin, who's done such a fine job with Slayer in the past, has worked his magic again on this album. And thank gawd he has. I'm not sure I could have stomached another duffer.

All Hope Is Gone
All Hope Is Gone

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy Again, 26 Aug. 2008
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
I love the first Slipknot album. It still get played loads even nearly 10 years on. On the strength of it I've bought all their subsequent studio albums.

Now don't get me wrong - they all have their standout tracks. They all have great riffs. Maybe Iowa came out a bit quickly and the overall songwriting was a poorer than the debut - maybe it suffers a little from 'second album syndrome' - from there I'm not sure what's happened to Slipknot.

From track to track they're one of the most schizophrenic listens I own. I mean, what's with the power ballads? I don't get it. Maybe it's just me? I don't put on a Slipknot CD wanting to hear power ballads. The last two albums both have fantastic tracks on em, Duality and Psychosocial spring to mind, but just don't sit well together in my mind as a body of work.

A minor gripe, it also seems that the decks and synth textures which really set the first album apart have been pushed further and further back in the arrangement.

The last few times a new Slipknot album has arrived I've ummed and arrred about buying it before forking out, and I always end up in two minds about it and having to programme the player to skip the ballads.

All Hope is Gone has some great ideas - but if I'm honest - only a handfull of songs I think are what I want to hear from Slipknot.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2008 3:26 PM BST

Genetically Modified
Genetically Modified
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, clever, interesting, thought-provoking, 4 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Genetically Modified (Audio CD)
Now it's not often I'll find a remix album containing anything more than 'interesting' alternate track versions, perhaps the odd cover version, demo etc. Being produced by different remixers and being produced / recorded at different times and in different locations it's not hard to see why most remix albums have a hard time justifying themselves as a body of work rather than a collection of disparate tracks which have been lumped together.

Not so Genetically Modified.

Unsavory Products, the collabration between The Black Dog and Black Sifichi which provided source material for these remixes, is taught, claustrophobic and interesting but also enormously difficult to listen to.

The work on Genetically Modified takes this source material and crafts it into a much more approachable collection of tracks without loosing the taught undercurrent and interesting, in places funny, lyrical content that made Unsavory Products stand out. It is more than likely the attention paid by all concerned to maintaining this taught aesthetic that makes Genetically Modified actually work well as an album. On the whole this is a more listenable, approachable and accessible album than Unsavory Products. Certainly every bit as good as the source material although not trying to accomplish the same things.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give this 10 stars, 18 Oct. 2005
I care not for those who claim this album is flawed. I have every AC/DC release, have seen them live numerous times, and have loved them for close to 20 odd years. I can say without a shadow of a doubt "Dirty Deeds" is my favorite. I don't care that it's purile (if you listen to AC/DC at all this is something you don't need to be too bothered about), I don't care that it's rough (in fact it more that adds to it's charm), I don't care that it's not quite as good as the Aussie version (R.I.P. is criminally absent on this release). This is the best, bar non, AC/DC album to date. The title track alone is worth the purchase price.