Profile for D. M. Markwick > Reviews

Harold and Maude [1971] [DVD]
Harold and Maude [1971] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruth Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great find, 19 Mar. 2013
Found this film by accident while researching Bud Cort... have to say it immediately became one if my favourite films. Some films just do that.

Fender Ampli Mini Twin - Amp '57
Fender Ampli Mini Twin - Amp '57
Offered by EESMusic

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little amp., 31 Oct. 2011
Great little amp. Little weak on the lower tones, although that could be my guitar.

The best thing though, is that the controls go all the way to 12. That's one louder than 11 :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2012 10:26 AM GMT

MSI GT680-035UK 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel New 2nd Generation Core i7 Gaming, 8GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive and 120GB SSD, Nvidia Fermi Graphics, HD Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I'd hoped., 28 July 2011
Had this little beaut for a fortnight now, and I am overjoyed with it. Having shifted my PC into work, I needed a home PC to play some games on, and after looking around at the various options I plumped for this one. It is a very nice product, well designed, sturdy, has a few nice extras (not dealbreakers but nice nontheless), and so far handles what I've thrown at it flawlessly.

I bought it primarily to play ArmA2 on, loaded with addons & mods. As anyone familiar with ArmA2 will confirm, it is particularly demanding on hardware. This machine gobbled it up, even the scaenarios that clogged up my previous machine (which is a similar spec to this laptop except it has a lower graphics card but much more HD space) seem to flow much better and I get fluid gameplay with no histrionics.

The laptop has an extra cooling fan that you can switch on, and it keeps the machine cool enough to be perfectly functional even when playing heavy games for hours. The laptop itself is quite attractive, but I would have preferred a lighted keyboard to a lighted case, the sound is really quite good in laptop terms, and the display is good for single users. It has a fairly wide tolerance left & right but is quite narrow vertically. The dark areas of games suffer a little, but normal lighting conditions (ingame) and the display is bright and vibrant.

I gave it 5 stars not because it is perfect, but because 5 stars has to mean something, and as far as I can tell there's no fault with this item that's enough to lose a star. This is a great product, and I can recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2011 11:30 AM BST

TeckNet® iEP190 Apple iPod Mobile External Battery Pack For All iPhone/iPods
TeckNet® iEP190 Apple iPod Mobile External Battery Pack For All iPhone/iPods
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 10 Jan. 2011
I use this on a 16gb 3Gs and it works just fine, no problems. Great little product, no fuss, does exactly what it's supposed to do. I get about 2 iPhone charges from one full battery charge, ideal for keeping in a jacket pocket somewhere for those times when you need a charge but cannot get to an outlet.

ARMA II Operation Arrowhead (PC DVD)
ARMA II Operation Arrowhead (PC DVD)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlimited entertainment., 2 Aug. 2010
If you're reading this review as an ArmA2/ArmA/OFP fan then you already know why you like it, but for people new to the series I thought I'd share an insight as to what makes this game series unique among the genre.

The main point I wish to make about this game is that it is not player-centric. By that I mean that the ingame opponents do not all exist merely to kill you the player, they exist for their own reasons and have their own goals. If you happen to get yourself embroiled in their fight - then they will target you naturally, but you are no more (or less) a target to them than is your AI squad member. You are part of a larger situation, and can influence the outcome, but you have no more priority than any other entity in the game. Contrast this with CoD/MoH etc where the gameplay is triggered by your progress and positions, and where enemy exist only to impede your, and only your, progress. Coupled with the literally open-ended nature of the massive gameplay area, that you are free to achieve any goal you wish, any way that you wish.

In the game, if you were to place two opposing soldiers in the map 10 kilometers away from you, they will proceed to stalk, engage and battle each other in every detail as though you were there to witness it, even though you are too far away to see, hear or influence the situation. A lot of readers might now be asking "what's the point of simulating something the player might never see", but others might see the true gold in this, that the battlefield has a true fidelity unseen in any other FPS tactical shooter. You as the player are NOT the major entity in this way, just as any soldier is not the major entity in any war. Away from your perceptions, AI soldiers will be battling against enemy, boarding helicopters, and moving to new locations and it may, or may not impact on your own gameplay somehow when they reach (or not) their destination.

Each soldier in the game has it's own micro-AI routines that help it to survive as best it can, while attempting to achieve their own ingame goals. This naturally leads to conflict and there you find yourself, in the middle of something larger than yourself. All weapons, vehicles, locations and buildings are open for use at any time, by all players (in the case of multiplay) and AI. The possibilities in a game such as this are limitless, constrained only by your own efforts and imagination.

In truth, I'm speaking mainly about the ingame editor gameplay, not the included single-player campaign. I have not tried the single player campaign (I think of the game as a sandbox rather than a story-led game) but I understand it's not too bad in its own right. But it is remarkably simple to open the editor, place down some units, set various waypoints or goals, and simply let the action begin. Elements can be randomised for extra variance, so that even you as the mission creator do not know where the enemy is or even how many of them there are. With a little finesse and experience, you can generate missions that will keep you entertained for many hours, over many replays, and just keep on making more and more.

So, this is not in essence the same as CoD or MoH or any of the other military shooters, those guys have their strengths and small levels etc, but this game has the scale and flexibility to entertain you for as long as you wish to play it, however long that is.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2010 2:35 PM GMT

The Cloud Factory
The Cloud Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Cloud Factory (MP3 Download)
I heard this on Mike Harding's Radio 2 folk music show, and I was hypnotised by it so much I had to iPlayer the show again to hear it once more. Of course, I bought it :)

It was a surprise for me, sometimes these songs just come out of nowhere and make a large impact on you.

For Your Lover Give Some Time
For Your Lover Give Some Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Feb. 2010
I fist heard of Richard Hawley only a few months ago on Radcliffe & Marconi's Radio 2 show. I was immediately entranced enough to buy it straight away, and enjoy it's melancholy tones. It kind of makes me think of it as an Americana trailer trash love song, I was pleasantly surprised to hear he's from (I think) Sheffield. I have since heard other Hawley tracks and like all of them so far, so I will probably pick up whatever CDs he's released too.

akasa AK-CB052 PCIe to PCIe 2.0 adapter
akasa AK-CB052 PCIe to PCIe 2.0 adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine product., 13 Feb. 2010
Not really much to review here - it does exactly what you imagine it will do, adapt a 6-pin power connection to an 8-pin power connection. Make sure your power supply can provide adequate power, and there's no real problems with this.

Ka-50 Black Shark: Attack Helicopter
Ka-50 Black Shark: Attack Helicopter
by Eagle Dynamics
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that should have been included, 13 Feb. 2010
This is a hard copy of the PDF file you get with the software product DCS: Black Shark. As such, it should really have been included with that product, but modern software releases demand cheap-as-possible production so it only comes as an optional extra purchase. I won't mark this book down because of that, as it sort of defeats the notion of reviewing it - if it was any better it wouldn't exist? :)

The main thing you should know about the book is that it is printed in black and white not colour. That said, I didn't miss the colour while reading it, all the information you need to glean is well presented and clear. The PDF book is already very good, so it's no surprise that the hardware version is also very good.

The front & back cover are made of stiff cardboard, which does make it slightly difficult to flick through the pages sometimes using the bend-the-cover flipping action used by most people, but on the other hand it is also a ring-bound volume, meaning you can simply flip the whole cover around to the back/front/wherever.

All in all a very nice product.

ArmA 2 (PC DVD)
ArmA 2 (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah I maxed on the ratings., 7 Jan. 2010
This review is from: ArmA 2 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Yeah I maxed on the ratings for this game. I have to, because I find it, for me, to be the perfect gaming experience.

To be clear - it's not going to be for everyone. I can see that some people simply won't like it, but I cannot mark it down for opinions I do not share. And also, to be clear, ArmA2 is only half the equation. What ArmA2 represents is a perfect base to build your game on, out of the box and patched up it is a terrific experience with many unique features, but the thing that transforms an already excellent game into (again, for me) a perfect gaming experience is the excellent user made addons and modifications available.

Adding user made content to this game can make it into exactly what you want. You can improve the uniforms, vehicles, weapons, artificial intelligence, environment, just about anything. And the same online community that produces these addons (of which I am one member) is very friendly and helpful. If you wish to immerse yourself in a military game world, ArmA2 represents the best of those military worlds. It evolves and improves relentlessly, not just from user content but from official developer support which is constant and genuinely effective over time.

I must mention what this game is not: it's not a flight simulator. There are aircraft to be sure, and they are fun and effective, but I would say the game world, massive though it is in terms of battlefield dynamics, is not suited for fast jet action. It's also not suited for inter-building fights, moving about within a building is clunky and awkward (but not impossible or seriously frustrating) but for anything in between those two "scales" of movement, then ArmA2 is perfect. You won't find a better more satisfying game experience if you're willing to play tactically.

I was watching my son play CoD:MW2 last night, in the space of 5 minutes he was killed about 10 times and likewise killed about 20 others. It looked like tremendous fun, it looked as much fun as ArmA2. Only it's different fun, I played ArmA2 last night and played for 45 minutes and was killed once. When I was killed, it was endgame, no magic revival. It can be a brutal gaming experience, but it's also flexible, if you wish you can lean the game toward CoD - style gameplay, but really if you wish to do that, just get CoD instead and play that gamestyle properly. If you wish for lasting, tense, intelligent flexible military gameplay then ArmA2 is the best choice.

Page: 1 | 2