Profile for Misthaufen > Reviews

Content by Misthaufen

Misthaufen

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sony PS4 Console with DriveClub - White (PS4)
Sony PS4 Console with DriveClub - White (PS4)
Offered by Level99Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Great console, good game, 20 Oct 2014
This is my first PS4. I always wait a little while after launch for hardware kinks to be sorted out, and I've been playing mine heavily for the last 3 days without problems. Everything works, and there has been no overheating or excessive noise. I will update this review if this changes over the next 12 months.

First of all the white console looks great, and in my opinion looks better than the black one.The PS4 controller is vastly improved over the last one, with a speaker, cool interactive light on the back (it changes colour with your health when playing The Last of Us, for instance), movement sensor, touch panel and port for headsets. I've had a blast playing my new toy far.

The bad points for me with this bundle are the cheap, nasty headset you get with the console (which I used once but won't use again) which I suspect you get with any standard PS4, and a few problems with the Drive Club game.

Drive Club is probably the best looking racer I've ever seen. Underneath the flashy exterior is a fairly standard (but enjoyable) racer, akin to Asphalt on the Vita. Racing is my favourite genre, and I've had fun driving branded cars on circuits of varying difficulty, whilst enjoying good crash damage and lighting effects. There are also challenges to complete, such as drifting, average speed and cornering, which add a bit more of a dynamic to the game. The Club aspect is something I've had some trouble with as I can's always connect to the server, but I did manage to join one and start earning rep for the club and myself.

The server issues with Drive Club have been well documented. On Saturday, for instance, I attempted to play 10 online races, and was booted out of 7 of them before they even started. If you do manage to get online, you will almost certainly not be able to stay in the lobby for a second race. This is becoming a regular thing for new, big releases, and although they do stabilize eventually, it's something all games dev companies should look at more carefully when planning a release. At least Drive Club has a decent single player mode to make up for this disappointment.

One thing I will say though, is that Sony are planning to release a version of Drive Club on PS Plus. Although it won't be quite as full-featured as the disc edition, it will be basically the same game but a bit stripped down in terms of it missing a few tracks and cars of the full game. Had I known this beforehand, I would have opted for the Destiny bundle instead.

Festina Men's Watch F16242_7
Festina Men's Watch F16242_7
Offered by rubinwatches

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality watch, 4 Sep 2014
This is my first Festina watch, and I have to say I love it. I chose this model as the flat colours with a hint of blue looked to be a little less "busy" than other variants of this model, which have coloured faces and/ or dials. In the image, the face and dials appear to be white, but in fact they're silver and have a shimmering effect. The watch looks better in reality than the image depicts.

It was easy to set up with regards to setting the day, date, month and time. It comes with an instruction booklet that doesn't actually feature this model, but does have one which is very similar and which is pretty much the same to set up, so it wasn't difficult to figure it out.

This watch has a quality look and feel, and has a good weight to it. I'd definitely buy Festina again.

Quality Round Waxed Cotton Dress Laces 2.5mm x 75cm or 100cm (75 cm, Black)
Quality Round Waxed Cotton Dress Laces 2.5mm x 75cm or 100cm (75 cm, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laces, 18 Jun 2014
Well, what is there to say about shoe laces, really? I bought these to replace the laces in my work shoes, which had frayed over the past year. I've had these new laces for 2 months. They're much better quality than the ones that came with the shoes, and show no signs of fraying thus far. They also fit the shoe perfectly, so no problems.

7.1 Channel USB 2.0 External Sound Card Audio Adapter
7.1 Channel USB 2.0 External Sound Card Audio Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to at a ridiculously cheap price, 10 Jun 2014
I bought this as the sound output socket of my media PC stopped working one day. It arrived very quickly, considering it came from China. Well within the advised delivery schedule.

It works well with Windows 7, and was detected and installed automatically.

The item is a little larger than I'd like if I'd bought it for a laptop or something, but to plug into the back of a PC to never be seen it's fine. And for 95p, INCLUDING delivery, you can't go wrong.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, terrible execution, 10 Jun 2014
I've never given a 1 star review before, but this product is definitely worthy of that dubious honour.

I bought this item as I have a "temperamental" CD changer in my Mondeo. The idea of this is great; stick in a memory card or USB stick full of MP3's, plug into the cigarette lighter and it transmits over an unused frequency and is picked up by your FM radio. Dodgy CD player problem solved, then. Or so I thought.

Firstly, the thing itself is of shoddy quality; cheap plastic and horrible clunky buttons. It also comes with a pointless remote control (the thing will be plugged in close to the driver anyway..?), which I didn't even bother to take out of the packet. But to be honest, at that price I wasn't expecting a well crafted, high quality device. I could forgive any amount of aesthetic drawbacks, if the thing actually did the job I bought it for. But it falls spectacularly short on that front.

The device is easy to set up (pretty much just plug and play), just set the frequency and tune the radio to pick it up. All seemed well, at first. The problems manifested themselves rather quickly, though. The first problem is the quality of the sound transmitted. Everything sounds a bit garbled and crackly, even when the car is stationary. It's nowhere near the quality of an FM radio transmission. Although, even this I could have forgiven, as I recently drove up through the "dead zone" on the M6 in the lakes, and throughout the Western Highlands, where radio transmissions frequently drop out. Slightly sub par tunes are better than no tunes. However, it gets worse. If the current song is quiet, it plays just about audibly. But as soon as the sound levels rise, it seems to give up and instead you hear static, as you do when you're driving out of a radio transmission zone. As you can imagine, this gets incredibly annoying, incredibly quickly.

Add to that the fact that this thing is VERY sensitive to interference from power lines, other radio frequencies and it regularly fades in and out or plain just doesn't work (it sounds like you're driving to the edge of its transmission zone, which is impossible as the damn thing is IN THE CAR), and what you have is a piece of crap.

I tried it 3 times on my last 1000 mile trip through Scotland, and I didn't even make it through 3 songs each time. I tried different frequencies but to no avail. It was responsibly disposed of as soon as I got home.

As I said before it's a great idea, and I'm sure there are products out there which do the same thing and actually work properly. But this isn't one of them. Don't waste your cash on this.

Sony PlayStation Vita 3G Console with Disney Mega Pack + 16GB Memory Card
Sony PlayStation Vita 3G Console with Disney Mega Pack + 16GB Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable console (replacement), 17 Feb 2014
I bought a PS Vita at launch and used it for almost 2 years, before idiotically leaving it on the floor and standing on it, cracking the screen (oops). I contacted Sony, who wanted £123 for a swap service, and couldn't guarantee I'd get a new console, and would possibly receive a "remanufactured" (aka refurbished) unit.

So I looked on Amazon and found the Vita 3G Disney pack for just under £160. I didn't need the memory card and wasn't interested in the included games, so these can be sold on again for around £40 - £45 in total, plus the broken console can be sold for around £30. So all in, a much better deal than Sony were offering. As the new model has just been released, it might be worth waiting a while to see what deals become available for the old model.

The Vita itself is fantastic. Several firmware updates have added improvements since it was launched, including a much improved web browser to rival a touch screen phone. There's also an email client and some apps, such as a Facebook app. There's a great selection of games from all genres. My favourite genre is racing, and there are plenty about, including Wipeout. There are also some good adventure/ puzzle games (Uncharted) and platformers (Rayman).

The graphics are stunning, much better than anything produced by Nintendo, and better than any mobile game you can get. The front and rear touchpad, as well as the camera add extra gameplay dimensions to various games.

Another positive with the Vita is PSN integration. For £40 a year, you can sign up to PSN and download new games every month. As well as big titles, there are also some great indie games on offer for free or discounted prices.

The battery life is the only let down with it, but there are things you can do to minimize it, such as turning down the brightness.

This on its own is not enough to knock off the fifth star. Highly recommended product.

4 Way Phono Selector Switch. Red
4 Way Phono Selector Switch. Red
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 10 Jan 2014
I bought this product so I could plug two audio sources into a single input; a PC and PS3. It does its job very well. As other reviewers have mentioned, it's a bit flimsy and feels cheap, but what do you expect for £4.25, including delivery? If you're expecting an aesthetically well designed and expertly engineered piece of a/v equipment, this is not it. If you want a basic, functional little device for switching sources, this does the job.

One thing to mention, I didn't get any audio cables with mine as other reviewers did. I suppose it depends which seller you purchase it from. I also didn't test the video as I had no need for it.

Karrimor Cargo 40 Holdall Black/Cinder -
Karrimor Cargo 40 Holdall Black/Cinder -
Offered by Field & Trek

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Karrimor Cargo 40 Holdall (Misc.)
First of all, the delivery was quick. It was delivered by Yodel, who decided it was appropriate to throw the parcel over my back fence on a very rainy day, where it sat in a puddle for 5 hours until I got home. Luckily, it was packaged well so didn't get wet. Good job it wasn't something breakable. This in itself isn't the fault of the seller, but using a poor courier known for this sort of thing because they are cheap, is.

Now for the item itself. First, the positives. I bought this as a flight carry-on bag. It's a good size for this, and can hold a lot. The bag itself is thin and lightweight, meaning it won't eat into your cabin weight allowance too much. The bag can be used in 2 ways; as a holdall, or as a backpack (there are straps for both). There's a piece of material with a velcro fastener that ties the straps together, should you wish to use the bag as a holdall. If using as a backpack, the main zip and the zip for the smaller compartment are against your back, giving you a bit of security.

Now, the negatives. As mentioned, the bag is very thin and lightweight. The problem is it feels quite flimsy, and I'm not sure how long it will last. The thinness of the bag means it doesn't have any support or its own "shape"; the ultra thin material takes on the shape of whatever is in the bag, and anything protruding digs straight into you. You also have to pack carefully and ensure heavy (or bulky) things are at the bottom, or it gets bent out of shape and feels odd on your back. The straps are quite thin so if the bag is full, it gets uncomfortable quickly. Also, the zippers have small pieces of material attached to them to help you move the zip along. These fell off the first time I used the bag, making the zippers more difficult to use (I had to find something else to tie onto them).

All in all, the bag is cheap and does the job. How long it will last remains to be seen, but is ok as long as you don't need to carry too much weight. As a cheap bag for a few in-flight bits and pieces, it's fine. One thing I would say is if you are thinking of getting one and are passing a Sports Direct, get it in store. It's the same retail price (£14.99 - mine still has the Sports Direct price label on it), and you can save the best part of £4 on shoddy delivery from Yodel.

TRENDnet TEW-623PI 300MBps Wireless N PCI Adapter
TRENDnet TEW-623PI 300MBps Wireless N PCI Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth spending the extra, 12 Sep 2013
I bought this after moving into a new house, as my previously wired PC is now upstairs. You can buy wireless adapters cheaper than this, but it's worth spending a bit more. I was after a card that supports Windows 7 64 bit (as many don't or have to be coerced into it), and this one seemed to fit the bill. It fit into the spare PCI slot with no problems, was detected by the OS immediately and the drivers were already present, although I updated them anyway, just to be sure.

I've had a couple of months of hassle-free browsing, streaming and gaming, using my Sky wireless router and the TRENDnet wireless adapter. This card provides a solid, stable connection every time. Highly recommended.

ETC Twin LED Light Set
ETC Twin LED Light Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, easy to fit, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: ETC Twin LED Light Set (Sports)
I bought two sets of these for mine and my partner's bikes, and I'm very pleased with them. They come with 2 sets of attachments for fitting to various parts of the bike (the rear one went above the back wheel on mine, and on the lower part of the frame on my partner's). They're very bright, and have 3 settings; solid (always on), constant flash (all 3 lights flash), and chase (each of the 3 LED's lights up in turn - my preferred choice for dusk road riding).

They were easy to fit and are held solidly in place, thanks to the well thought-out fittings provided. I've had them out in light rain (not heavy rain, thanks to our unusually good summer) and they're still working fine. A good purchase, all in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3