Profile for Martin > Reviews

Martin

The Righteous Dead
The Righteous Dead

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit short, but was fun to read!, 30 Jun 2014
Could have done with some more character development but for a first book it was a good read and I enjoyed the story. 3 out of 5 because there could have been much more added to the story line but the overall plot was good.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for iPhone5!, 7 April 2013
Works great for everything else except my iphone5 where is somehow locks the home screen. Still churches but I am worried I am damaging the phone. Have checked that it is not the cable because have plugged same cable and phone into genuine apple product and it works fine!

Sidestep & Twist: How to create hit products and services that people will queue up to buy
by James Gardner

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking read, 22 Dec 2011
Fascinating insight into ideas and innovation success.

Fundamentally the author argues that big innovation ideas (breakthrough's) are somewhat less profitable than "smaller" or incremental ideas that are essentially tweaks to existing products and services - the trick being to make the new innovation a step change (or at least seem like one). The book is filled with great examples that take the reader along for the duration of the book.

Depending on whether you want your new idea to be profitable or more philanthropic in nature, you may or may not like what the author has to say. Be that as it may, the arguments are well explored and, although my gut tells me that big breakthrough innovation is the way to go, the evidence presented here informs me that there are many ways to innovate, some are more profitable than others and I should think hard before putting time, effort and investment into my innovation especially if I want to see a return on that investment.

Food for thought...!