Profile for M. Walker > Reviews

Content by M. Walker

M. Walker (Kent, UK)

iClever Replacement AC Adapter for Apple MAC iBook / Titanium / Powerbook G3 G4 ,with Free UK Mains Lead--(24.5V, 2.65A, 65W version -45W Compatible)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but not as pretty, 30 Jan 2013
Works fine but not as aesthetically pleasing as the Apple original. Main niggle is it doesn't have the orange/green illuminating ring to tell you when the battery is charged, so you have to turn the laptop over to read the battery level when it's not in use. But worth putting up with considering how much cheaper this is than the genuine Apple part (assuming that's even available any more).

Smoke On The Water: The Metropolis Sessions
Smoke On The Water: The Metropolis Sessions
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 9.28

5.0 out of 5 stars The song that launched a thousand bands, 18 July 2011
For anyone who grew up on classic 70s rock this CD/DVD is a must-have. Even if you were never that keen on Smoke on the Water as a song you'd have to acknowledge the iconic status of its riff, the first that thousands of aspiring guitarists learned to play. The real joy here is seeing so many famous musicians getting together in the 'making of' DVD and the cameraderie between them as they trade licks. Oh, and comparing and contrasting the vocals of Ian Gillan, Bruce Dickinson and Paul Rodgers isn't exactly a chore either (with a bonus bit of Bryan Adams, who just happened to be checking out the studio that day, for good measure). And it's for charity, so you can feel completely good about it whilst indulging yourself with a fabulous collaboration.

Remington NE3350 Angled Hygienic Trimmer
Remington NE3350 Angled Hygienic Trimmer
Price: 8.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance, inconvenient design and flimsy, 6 May 2011
I bought this slightly against my better judgement, on the strength of other reviews here. I'd had another Remington trimmer whose battery cover broke when it was accidentally dropped on the bathroom floor, making it impossible to remove and change the battery without destroying the whole device.

This trimmer has a bunch of attachments but I found none of them worked very well, offering too little control over exactly what a gets cut and what's ignored. I wound up using it without any of them, guiding the cutting head manually. After trying one of the attachments again, I wasn't able to get it off without breaking the entire cutter head, so in the bin it went.

The angled design is a pain too, as it won't stand upright in a crowded bathroom cabinet. I won't be buying another Remington.

Cool Bananas Envelope 11.6 inch V1 Leatherette Case for Macbook Air 11.6 inch - Black
Price: 20.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove, 30 April 2011
I bought this for my partner's MacBook Air and she's delighted with it. It fits perfectly and you can't even tell that it's got a computer inside it, just looks like a smart document wallet.

Razamanaz (loud proud & remastered)
Razamanaz (loud proud & remastered)
Price: 6.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Raza-remaster rocks, 25 Feb 2010
Having bought tickets to see Nazareth in Brighton recently (a great gig, and even better than when I last saw them 25 years earlier in student days), I was browsing round the official Nazareth web site and came across the link to the Salvo remaster series. Although I still have my original Razamanaz LP, it's a bit of a pain to play it and I have grown very used to the convenience of CDs and putting their content on my computer, so I thought I'd risk a little bit on the remaster.

I'm glad I did, it's excellent, you can't believe that this was an album recorded more than 35 years ago. The bonus tracks are good fun too, a couple of B-sides that I don't think made it onto any of the albums, plus BBC session versions of four of the main tracks that I hadn't heard before. There's a neat little booklet with additional notes, interview with Dan McCafferty and Pete Agnew and single sleeve pictures.

Everything sounds clear and fresh but without feeling obviously remixed; it's reignited my passion for a band that I've loved since the mid 70s. For the Nazareth fan, this package is an absolute must. For anyone else who just wants to hear some seminal British rock, I can't recommend it too highly.