Profile for O Theophilus > Reviews

Content by O Theophilus

O Theophilus (Milton Keynes, UK)

Songsterr Guitar Tabs & Chords
Songsterr Guitar Tabs & Chords

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile app, 18 Jan. 2016
Good variety of tabs for the bass player.

Rainshadow
Rainshadow

4.0 out of 5 stars What if..., 17 April 2013
This review is from: Rainshadow (Kindle Edition)
What if the unthinkable should happen, and the weapons of our own forces are turned against us? That's the premise of RAINSHADOW, and a worrying one it is, too. Especially when the team tasked to investigate the incident find themselves under pressure to produce the 'right' answers.

Rainshadow is an original thriller with an all-too-plausible premise. Once it got moving (the start is a bit slow, but it's worth persevering) there were plenty of twists and turns in the plot and I found myself staying awake to read 'just one more chapter,' wanting to see how it would turn out.

Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator
Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 1 Oct. 2012
Really disappointed with this. This was our first GPS and we couldn't make sense of the instructions, so we had to buy a book as well. Not a great start. For various reasons it didn't get used much to start with and now (18 months later) we find it simply doesn't work. Turns on, looks fine, and sends you to somewhere you didn't ask to go. (We've tested it against a friend's GPS, which does work, and it's not just us - she can't make ours work either.) Of course it's now out of warranty. The Garmin support pages on the website suggest you update the software before returning it to them for fixing. Still debating whether to risk another £20 on the lead we need in order to do this (grr!), or just write the whole thing off and stick with map and compass.

The Peace Garden
The Peace Garden

4.0 out of 5 stars Worlds apart?, 21 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Peace Garden (Kindle Edition)
An original novel that combines entertainment with food for thought. The author links suburban Newcastle with the challenges of post-Apartheid South Africa through the character of Natalie Porter, avid Nancy Drew fan and not-quite-fearless investigator of stolen greenery.

Is death really necessary?
Is death really necessary?
by Judi Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 6 Jan. 2010
Strong characters, a good story and one huge question that raises all sorts of others about the power of technology and our dependence upon it. A thoroughly enjoyable read - even for people like me who don't usually go for science fiction.

Chords and Discords
Chords and Discords
by Roz Southey

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual and absorbing, 9 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Chords and Discords (Paperback)
Charles Patterson, 'harpsichordist, concert arranger and accidental investigator', tackles his second mystery in a setting that's both well researched and vividly imagined. I really believed in Roz Southey's 18th century Newcastle - not only its human population but also the spirits of the dead which constantly whisper, gossip and lie to the living. Well worth reading.

A Short History of Christianity
A Short History of Christianity
by Stephen Tomkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, 8 Nov. 2007
I can't compare this to other works on the history of Christianity because I've never read any... which demonstrates, perhaps, that this book is attractive and accessible to people who don't normally pick up that sort of thing.

I found it a useful and entertaining overview. It put my vague and half-understood notions about the history of the faith into context and I now feel as though I have some sort of framework in which to find out more.

It was also, in places, extremely funny. Money well spent.