Profile for John James Garner > Reviews

Ceremonials
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 7.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Lungs Part 2, but still something special, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Ceremonials (Audio CD)
I just wanted to voice my support for Florence here on Amazon. Although this certainly isn't Lungs Part II, it's something quite special anyway. It's always nice to hear an artist evolving rather than trudging along the same ruts they made a couple of years earlier.

This is a powerful album, much bigger in production than its predecessor. What it sometimes lacks in subtlety, it makes up for in sheer scale and pure emotional power. It's an album caught between euphoria and what sounds to me like loneliness. You'll want to listen to this regardless of whether you're feeling great or feeling like you're tipping over the edge.

I thoroughly recommend this album to diehard Florence fans and newcomers alike. It's important to continue backing artists like this to show that there is life yet in the floundering music industry we've found ourselves in.

Preparations
Preparations
Price: 8.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Boundless experimentation, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Preparations (Audio CD)
I thought I'd do a quick review of this album given that the one-star review below is undoubtedly putting numerous people off.

This was the first album I heard by Prefuse 73. Although I've heard all of his others since, I find them lacking in any real substance and this is still the record I come back to again and again. It's nice to find here a real mix of track lengths. All too often, Prefuse 73 will present ideas, never developing anything. With longer tracks, he really works with the (extremely cleverly chosen) material. Brief and skittering samples come back again and again, giving you a chance to absorb them and enjoy their sheer madness.

I had never, before this album, heard anything so unabashedly insane. Samples are stitched together in such a surprising and pleasing way that you can't help but be fascinated. Perhaps for more experienced listeners this could sound like a predictable essay in modern glitchy electronic production, but not for me. 'School of Seven Bells' brief appearance is a highlight.

Having now ventured much further into the wealth of intelligent electronic music around, I still very much love this album and thoroughly recommend it. I personally don't understand why this seems to be his least popular album when it seems to me to be the easiest listen (comparatively). I would certainly say this is a good starting point for anyone wanting to discover the joy and abandon of Prefuse 73's music. It's also great to hear some of the raw string arrangements he came up with before cutting them up (on the bonus disc).

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black Coiled Cable
Offered by Big2smallsales
Price: 95.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful headphones, 7 July 2011
I seldom review anything on Amazon, but I thought these headphones deserved the extra effort.

I'm a musician. I listen to and produce a lot of music. These headphones have a wonderful crisp and accurate sound. Although many people have mentioned that the bass is not particularly strong, this is because the M50s give you the closest thing to a flat mix that you can find. If the music you are listening to is not produced to be bass-heavy, it won't sound bassy. The really excellent thing about the M50s is that you hear as faithfully as possible the producer's mix (as close as you can get without speakers). On no other headphones have I ever picked up on so many fresh details in my favourite music. You'll hear things when using the M50s that you've never heard before. Any insufficiency in the mixing is blindingly obvious, weak mixes sound terrible, etc. but you also hear almost inaudible subtleties that really bring the music to life.

If you are looking for a bass-heavy headphone that's going to rattle your teeth, these aren't for you. Although the M50s can handle very heavy bass, you'll find yourself having to EQ it yourself. These also aren't for people who want headphones that are generous to all music.

These ARE for people who want to hear music as true to its production as possible. You'll find certain albums which are an absolute miracle (for me, Imogen Heap's 'Ellipse' - everything sounds in its perfect place and the result is mind-blowing) and you'll come back to again and again. As far as studio work goes, these are the best headphones you're going to find in this price-range. I mix on these all the time and have been extremely satisfied with the result, even listening back on my powerful studio monitors. Furthermore, they are wonderfully comfortable; so much so that you'll sometimes forget you're wearing them. The sound leakage is minimal - no problems on the bus or tube.

Cons are the noise-isolation: you're going to have to turn these up quite a bit to hear them on the tube. Also, I had to replace the headphone jack after about six months as the connection was damaged - it's not particularly sturdy and this is disappointing in such a quality headphone.

However, I can't recommend the M50s enough. I spent a long time reading review after review online before I finally settled with these. They have great reviews and for good reason. They will transform your listening experience.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2013 4:32 PM GMT

Big Fish [DVD] [2004]
Big Fish [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Masterpiece, 9 July 2004
This review is from: Big Fish [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Although perhaps this film has received quite a lot of stick for being very soppy and cheaply charming, I was still brought to a state of incredible emotion. Albert Finney is brilliant as always, and plays a man who has lived a life unlike any other: although his story's are seemingly just childish anecdotes, there are many things we can learn from these charmingly simplistic messages. Perhaps the best tearful comedy since Forrest Gump, and with a character which I feel I can aspire to. Not only this, but the music was quite simply superb also. There's not much one can criticize about perfection.

Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 3.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Take me out, leave the rest..., 19 Feb 2004
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
Take me out is one of the best new singles of the year, and has set an excellent standard to follow for all the other artists. However, it was the only track on this album I truly enjoyed listening to. I feel the rest of the album is very different to 'Take me out'. Perhaps it is my taste, but I think the single isn't worth the rest of the album. It is a very convincing 1980s style, and is possibly one for people who like that sort of music. However, I grew up in the 1990s and so it isn't really for me. Take me out is one for everyone though!

Titanic : Music from the Motion Picture
Titanic : Music from the Motion Picture
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk
Price: 2.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Another one for soundtrack lovers..., 19 Feb 2004
This is another brilliant soundtrack composed by James Horner, as is Braveheart. Once again I enjoyed listening to this very much, but perhaps it is a little less atmospheric than Braveheart. I think there is a little less to create with music in this film, and some of it it definitely filling. I am not a fan of synthesized sounds so if you are like me this is NOT for you. Much of this soundtrack is synthesized and that just isn't for some people. However, the main theme is one which almost everybody knows and should not be missed. Overall, quite a successful soundtrack, not so much a successful piece of music.

Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One for anybody, 19 Feb 2004
This review is from: Braveheart (Audio CD)
This soundtrack never tires, with excellent authentic cultural music from Scotland. This soundtrack always takes me where I want to go, and back to the inspiring story that is Braveheart. The bagpipe tunes are absolutely heart-wrenching, and always give me goosebumps. I hardly ever feel that the music is just a fill-in like so many other soundtracks which are just backing tracks. This soundtrack is more than a backing, and of course it is what takes us to the Highlands in this film. Anybody who is interested in cultural music and enjoys beautiful Scottish traditional sounds must get this. I give it my complete confidence.

Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there in the best soundtracks ever, 6 Feb 2004
This review is from: Braveheart (Audio CD)
I've always loved soundtracks and this is no exception. The tunes just keep taking me where I want to be, whenever I want to be there. It reminds me I shouldn't be sitting around doing nothing when there is so much in the World to see and do. This is one for everyone.

Instinct [DVD] [1999]
Instinct [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins
Price: 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 24 Dec 2003
This review is from: Instinct [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I just read a review of this film by one of the Amazon team, and obviously he doesn't understand many things. This is one of the most amazing films I have ever come across. Every moment of the film IS creditable, not just creditable; brilliant. Even if you completely disagree with what the movie is saying it is still a must-see. Ignore anyone who thinks this is rubbish; I give this film my 110% confidence.