Profile for Zorba of Belfast > Reviews

The Annual 15 Years
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 4.89

3.0 out of 5 stars No full tunes, this is a mix album, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Annual 15 Years (Audio CD)
I was looking for an original version of Paul Van Dyk's "For an Angel". I saw there were plenty of other classics on this set, and the price was good so I bought it.

Unfortunately the CD version I bought has all the tracks mixed into each other, so I had to buy seperately any track I wanted myself for DJ'ing. This was not made clear in the blurb on Amazon, or even on the product packaging.

Beginning SQL Server 2008 for Developers: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice in SQL Server)
by Robin Dewson
Price: 32.14

1.0 out of 5 stars full of typo's, bad enuff, but NO errata page is UNFORGIVABLE, 19 Jan 2010
The book looks like it was rushed out the door as the earlier chapters in particualar are full of typo's, and sentences/passages that just don't make sense, or are just plain contradictory e.g p10:

"Client Tools: Some of these tools sit on the client machine and provide the graphical intreface to SQL Server, while others sit on the client and work with SQL Server."

Now, after thinking for a minute or two it became obvious to me as someone with 15years general computing experience that the author meant to write "server" instead of the second instance of "client". But a) I don't want to have to do this thinking to make up for the editor's laziness and b) A beginner here wouldn't be able to spot the mistake and would be confused, or worse, go away with duff information!

Here's another one, p17:

"A service can be set to start automatically before any user has even logged on; all other programs require a user to be logged in to Windows in order for the services to start."

This is just plain confusing... Even I struggle with what this means, and I used to program services for a living! I think if you replace the 3rd last word "services" with "these programs", it makes sense. But maybe he meant non-auto startup services can be started manually when someone logs in?

I'd rather be scratching my head trying to understand SQL Server 2008, not the author's writing style.

I went onto the book's site on Apress to check the errata to get these and other issues cleared up, or log them if they weren't there. NO FACILITY for submitting errata !! There is a form there, but nothing happens if you fill it in (more time wasted !!!).

Had there been just the errors, I would have given 3 stars, but the LACK of ERRATA page, in a tech book riddled with errata is just plain UNFOGIVABLE. Avoid this book!

ASIDE: This is not the first Apress book without an errata mechanism. Readers NEED the errata pages, and I encourage all reviewers to give books that have errors, but no errata page, an automatic 1star, until the publishers wake up and start putting some effort into errata and corrections.

I will continue to post errata here. Hopefully Apress will transfer them onto the proper place, and I can them remove them. Until then, 1star review.

Who is with me on this?
Comment Comments (29) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2014 10:36 PM GMT

Beginning PHP and MySQL: From Novice to Professional
Beginning PHP and MySQL: From Novice to Professional
by W. J. Gilmore
Price: 29.30

2.0 out of 5 stars Author or publisher can't be bothered to publish errata!! (and boy do they need to), 8 Jan 2010
I come from a programming backround, however I did struggle a bit with this book to begin with. What's missing is some practical exercises so as the reader can become familiar with the syntax and concepts of PHP through doing (and thinking!), rather than solely thinking. Once I'd gone through the tutorial at php.net, and written a few 10-line PHP utilities as part of another, mainly non-PHP, project, then I was able to come back to this book and get far more out of it.

I probably would have scored it a three/three and a half based on the experiences outlined already, were it not for the following:

There are a number of typo's, errors and mistakes, which are not the end of the world on their own - but what really bugs me is that the author and/or publisher have an errata page up on the Apress site, but THEN DO NOT DISPLAY ANY ERRATA THAT HAVE BEEN ENTERED !!!

I've put a few errata on there, and they do not appear underneath in the section for "confirmed errata". In fact this section is empty. Are they really saying that NO-ONE has been able to point out any errata that they agree need to be corrected? I know not every erratum will be sustained, but come on, do they really expect us to believe that EVERY SINGLE person who claims to have found an error in this book (and there are plenty, read these reviews) is WRONG !!

Don't be so arrogant....

Or are they filtering out the errata because there are too many of them, or for whatever other reason. OK, if you don't want errata DO NOT HAVE A ERRATA PAGE !!
Otherwise you are abusing people's time, those who want to help you improve the book and are prepared to take the time to (essentially) proof-read the book for you (for free).

Someone else like me could come along, not see that I have already entered errata X, and waste their time by putting it on again....

Flash CS4: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Flash CS4: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by Chris Grover
Price: 25.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Flash CS4 - The Missing Editor, 25 Jun 2009
What can I say, the content is good, the writing style fun, the examples relevant. So far, heading for 4 or 5 stars...

but then...

I have put about 30 errata onto the books errata pages, to go with the 20 or so already on there. Who shot the editor ?

The errors slow me down and are annoying. Without the positive bits at the start, this would get a one star rating. Average both views out, and we get 3 stars. Such a shame as a lot of good things. Suspect it was rushed out the door.

Pogue press, please sort out your editing/proofreading !!

Rudolf Steiner: An Introduction to His Life and Work
Rudolf Steiner: An Introduction to His Life and Work
by Gary Lachman
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars opened my eyes, 3 Jun 2009
I'm the parent of a child currently in a Waldorf nursery, who would shortly be entering the school proper in September. My partner has a cousin who is a Waldorf teacher in Germany and she is enamoured of this education style. I on the other hand have concerns, but without really knowing a great deal about Steiner, I didn't feel confident enough to act on these alone, and so I felt it was about time I informed myself about the man behind Anthroposophy so I picked up this book of my partner's from the bookshelf when I was housebound earlier this week.

I found the author's honesty refreshing. While plainly someone with respect for Steiner, he refused to turn his work into a hagiography. He is not afraid to point out what he considers weaknesses in credibility in the philosophy.

This book has filled in a lot of the gaps in my knowledge about Steiner. There is no doubt he was a philantrophist and had nothing but the best of intentions, however his reliance on obtaining truths via spiritual means clashes worries my empirical nature. The book left me a lot clearer about my position on his education system (which for the record is now one of mild disinclination).