Profile for Mr. N. Coleman > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. Coleman

Mr. N. Coleman (SW England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
B22 to E14 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
B22 to E14 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable, 27 Dec 2013
I purchased this item to assist in EMC testing (interference from LED lighting), to adapt my B22 (Bayonet Cap) jig to small Edison screw (SES/E14). The adapter is quite well-made and as an experienced sparks/electrical engineer I do not foresee any problems with this design and implementation although I do think the screw could use a little more surface area for the electrical contact.

For interference problems with your electronics, please visit our forum: [...]

B22 to E27 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
B22 to E27 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable with a caveat, 27 Dec 2013
I purchased this item to assist in EMC testing (interference from LED lighting), to adapt my B22 (Bayonet Cap) jig to ES (large Edison Screw, E27). Although not untypical of mass-produced product, the adapter is not badly made however I note that the unit is held together by plated steel screws. Whilst this may not impact the adapter's performance, it does offer additional components capable of working loose over time through temperature cycling (the ES screw is aluminium which will expand at a slightly different rate than the screws. I am not saying this will happen - and for occasional lamp changes, typical of a domestic environment I feel that failure is unlikely.

Also of some minor concern is the use of brass plated steel screws for the electrical contacts (B22). This is an unusual choice and does hint that this adapter might not age well in a humid environment. Again, likely just fine for a typical living room with occasional powered-down lamp replacements.

For interference problems with your electronics, please vitit our forum for more information: [...]

B22 to GU10 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor (singular item)
B22 to GU10 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor (singular item)
Offered by BeautyMall(Shipped from HongKong)
Price: 1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and serviceable, 27 Dec 2013
I purchased this item to assist in EMC testing (radio interference from LED lighting), to adapt my B22 (Bayonet Cap) jig to GU10. The adapter is well-made and as an experienced sparks/electrical engineer I do not foresee any problems with this design and implementation. The GU10 base is ceramic, mounted inside the heat-resistant body. Recommended.

The Leonardo Country Life Collection Mice eating apple "Snack Time"
The Leonardo Country Life Collection Mice eating apple "Snack Time"

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, 27 Dec 2011
I'm no artisan, nor am I a critic. I am the hubby of the recipient and the delight and scrutinisation offered up to this piece was more than gratifying. It was very thoughtfully packed, with attention to potential weak spots, given the rigours of the postal service. It is nicely crafted and painted - a charming little piece.

Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply
Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply
Price: 18.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 27 Dec 2011
No problems here. It behaves as one would expect, has a metal enclosure and a power indicator LED. I bought this because I was experiencing issues with my CAD M179 following the replacement of my mixer with a MOTU Hybrid Lite; awful noise was present on the Mic, a cross between rumbling, fizzing and white noise and was over 30dB up on my studio noise, typical levels. It appears to be a common 'issue' (I won't call it a fault) with the M179.

This phantom PSU cured those woes in one simple easy swipe. Adding a 1m XLR myself, it is small enough to mount on the mic stand with a short length of velcro or something similar and be unobtrusive.

Very happy.

OCZ RevoDrive 120GB PCI-Express Internal Solid State Drive
OCZ RevoDrive 120GB PCI-Express Internal Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Blisteringly fast, 27 Dec 2011
This is a 'hindsight' review based on 6 months of use. I had previously toyed with some of the OCZ SATA SSDs but was left feeling a little let-down. Of course placing two or more SATAs in a RAID array would greatly increase speed but also price!

I took the plunge and installed the RD. I elected to run up a clean install of W7 x64 and then get my system just the way I wanted it. I'd suggest with hindsight, to make sure you have the driver ready on a USB drive or similar, just to help installation along - I didn't get a driver CD with mine and had to download. Not a problem really.

Once W7 had finished installing and to qualify the drive performance, it was on an overclocked i7 2600k Sandy Bridge system, W7 booted to the desktop from the end of the BIOS POST in 7 seconds. Holy cow! With Office installed and some of my other favourites; PowerDirector 9 x64, Cubase x64, Wavelab, the performance was mind-blowing. Programs which naturally start efficiently, i.e. do not poll for hardware etc. (e.g. office etc.) run up almost instantly. I jest not.

This gave me perfect error-free performance for 6 months but regrettably I outgrew it and had to consider other options. I eventually elected for the RD Hybrid. I still have the RD and it sits there as an emergency backup should I need to hastily run up an efficient system. I'd definitely recommend this as an operating system "disk drive", and put all your data on a SATA 6G mechanical.

Simply superb.

OCZ RVDHY-FH-1T 1TB RevoDrive Hybrid PCI-Express 2.5 inch Internal SSD
OCZ RVDHY-FH-1T 1TB RevoDrive Hybrid PCI-Express 2.5 inch Internal SSD

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Performance but be prepared..., 2 Nov 2011
Please don't be put off by the quirky title. This drive is truly awesome. I had some issues when first moving over, partly arising from assumptions (my English teacher once told me, "Never assume anything, you make an ass out of u and me". Should have listened! Read on.

I am seeing on the box spec's out of this drive, peaking 900M BYTES per second - not MBits... It is fast that's for sure. Now it's all up and running, I've also found it to be very reliable (Windows 7 x64, on an ASUS P8P67 OC's i7 2600k). The OS loads incredibly quickly as do any regularly used applications (Office is up before I can blink and that is not an exaggeration)...

Now the health warning or rather the most important tip of your life if you are hitting the "buy" button. Prior to using this baby I had an OCZ RevoDrive mk1 which is a 110GB PCI-e SSD. Regrettably I outgrew it with the demands of my home music studio. Like this the RDmk1 was super fast but simply didn't have the capacity that I needed. When I installed the RDmk1 the BIOS recognised it instantly and all I had to do was offer up the driver on a clean Windows 7 install and we were away - like greyhounds after the Hare.

TIP: If you are intending to replace your existing Windows 7 HDD with this there are some important things to remember.

1) This is a PCI-Express 4x device. That means you MUST have a 4x/8/16x slot available. A 1x will not fit and would be too slow to be of any use anyway.

2) At the time of writing, both Acronis and Nova backup utilities do NOT recognise these drives. Full stop. Can you feel my pain? I had intended to simply swap out the drives, transfer my OS over and off I would go. This is rather difficult if your backup program won't recognise them.... Or the one you bought to replace the backup program that wouldn't work...

3) If possible, a clean install is preferable but not essential. Sure helps though. If not >

4) Before you do ANYTHING, use the Windows Image backup and back up your OS to a separate HDD (preferably a dedicated one though not absolutely necessary). When I say Windows Image backup I mean Windows Image backup - in stark contrast to Windows FILE backup. [Start] > type {Backup} > [Backup and Restore] **** [Create system image] **** You do not need a repair disk if you have your original Windows DVD but it won't hurt to make one if it helps your confidence some... Even do this if you intend to sysprep...[...]

5) ALSO before doing anything, make sure you download the driver from OCZ coz they don't provide one out of the box. Make sure that is on some other media, like USB or a RW CD or another HDD.

6) Your BIOS will recognise this as two distinct drives, one 1TB Toshiba (at the time of writing) and one circa 100GB SSD with the word 'CACHE'. Needless to say, you are going to install the OS to the 1TB drive and not the Cache, thinking it will make it boot faster AREN'T you?? ;o)

7) Once you have installed Windows or recovered it from an Image Backup, install the Dataplex software (you need to register with OCZ where they will provide a link and a License key - don't lose it!)

8) Watch the look of sheer envy on your mates faces when they see the result of your hard work.

OK so this might not be as simple as unplugging a couple of connectors but realistically with the benefit of my hindsight - there's no reason why it should not be. Even despite my arduous experience, I would not hesitate to get another for a different PC. This is so much more head and shoulders above other Hybrid offerings like the Momentous - that said, a RevoDrive Hybrid won't fit in a laptop where a Momentous would, so credit where it's due, eh?

All in all this is a 5 star + for me and it could be for you if you're man enough to try ;o) Just think of the benefits to your sys page file or your PC hibernation... Just make sure you are properly prepared - like I wasn't!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 2:37 PM BST

WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII 6GB/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive - OEM
WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII 6GB/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Offered by Xtreme_Drives
Price: 63.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed a thrifty nifty for my music, 23 Sep 2011
Following a PC rebuild for my home-studio, my four-way 'scratch disk' Raid0 array went south. Thank heavens for backups, eh? So I needed a new scratch disk. Because I push the envelope I needed something which could perform and so unless I took out a mortgage for a high capacity SSD, a Raid array seemed the best choice. Since I already have high'ish capacity OCZ RevoDrive for my OS disk, the 'scratch' disk was for recording, playback and storage/retrieval.

Unfortunately for whatever reason I couldn't track down any WD Caviar Blacks at my chosen capacity so had to settle for Blueys. With hindsight, it wasn't a bad deal, I have a Raid0 2TB 'scratch' disk which chugs along about 250MBpS which is more than enough for my modest needs.

So far I have not had any WD's go south on me, Seagates & Samsungs ye but but not WD's Heck, one of the 'emergency PC's' has a 60GB WD from nineteenhundredandfrozenstiff and it still runs sweet.

Good deal, good drive and dependable. Thumbs up.

LG 42LW450U 42-inch Widescreen Cinema Full HD 1080p 3D 100Hz LED TV with Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 23 Sep 2011
I'm an old hat when it comes to HD, I've been at it almost as long as it was possible to do. When it came to 3D though I retained a degree cynicism. 3D in the consumer market is still moderately new and I was not at all sold on the idea of expensive active shutter glasses which do not lend well to family or group viewing without paying almost as much as the TV all over again.

When I saw the LG advertised originally I maintained my corporate cynicism however our main TV developed some rather unsightly marks internally, akin to bubbling and this forced me to think hard about 'what next'.

Eventually, exhausted from reading hundreds of web pages about 3DTV, I took the plunge. It arrived before I had any material to watch. That aside, once it was connected up and run on "normal HD" content I couldn't believe my eyes - it was almost like being reborn, the difference between this and my previous Philips high end HDTV was remarkable. I was very impressed indeed. Even my wife commented and she takes a great deal of convincing.

Fortunately I have Sky+ HD so 3D was a web-visit away, while I started hunting down the desirable 3D titles on BD. The 3D experience was truly superb, faultless. My wife who is a permanent glasses-wearer found placing the supplied passive spec's over her own to not be unpleasant and can easily sit through a full film without discomfort. As to me with 20/20 vision, I have as yet experience no unpleasant 3D "side-effects" like nausea, headaches, despite watching up to 3 3D movies in a row during a 3D marathon.

I would have to place this TV as my star buy of the last 5 years, no quibbling. Thank you LG for an excellent product!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2011 12:58 AM BST

Avatar with Limited Edition Lenticular Artwork (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sam Worthington
Price: 19.14

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Experience is worth paying a few extra bucks, 23 Sep 2011
I am a relative newcomer to 3DTV but an 'old hat' at HD. Avatar is one of those films one loves or hates with it seems, not a great deal of middle ground. In the short time I've had 3D I've managed to acquire the majority of commercially available 3D movies (not anaglyph) and watched them. Some purchases were based on other reviews (not Amazon) from a 3D 'site' and thus came with great expectations. A few of them not only disappointed but were worthy of making coffee-coasters.

As an Avatar fan, I'm pleased to say that the 3D version is a feast to behold. The depth of field which often fails to deliver in 3D movies really shines and I'm glad to say that what I would call 'gratuitous' use of objects "pointing of of the screen" as attempted by Resident Evil is kept to a relative minimum, with the film opting for its best stab at realism.

I concede that like all the 3d movies there are parts which don't completely work and to be brutally honest I'm sure that my penchant for the film might blind me to one or two more that less enthusiastic viewers might notice; for the most part this is one of the best 3D'ers I've seen on the 3D small-screen and sets the bar for other producers to achieve or exceed.

If you like Avatar and you have a good quality 3DTV, this is one not to miss.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6