Profile for N. > Reviews

Nanna's Indian Kitchen: Indian Home Recipes
Nanna's Indian Kitchen: Indian Home Recipes
by Shafia Ahmed

5.0 out of 5 stars yummy grandmummy!, 21 July 2013
Shafia Ahmed's book is a must have for anyone who loves food, in particular that of the Hyderabadi variety. The recipes are easy to follow and the photographs clearly show you what the food is supposed to look like. The book has been perfectly edited by Zainab Ali Khan. I'm so excited to work my way through every recipe!

Love in a Headscarf: Muslim woman seeks the One
Love in a Headscarf: Muslim woman seeks the One
by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab your cappuccino & cookies!, 18 Feb. 2009
I think I have found "The One" - I have fallen in love with this book! "Love in a Headscarf" is totally irresistable. I smiled, I giggled, I laughed, I cried, I gasped and nodded in agreement & recognition. Shelina has told "our" story - the story of the un-oppressed, queuing up at Starbucks, sitting next to you at the movie, sharing your office, walking past you in the street British, Asian, Muslim women who are so often ignored or mis-represented in literature today. It's the story of our real lives, our hopes and dreams, oh, and it's also the story of all the frogs we kiss en route to finally meeting our Prince Charming (who may, or may not, turn out to be John Travolta!). I urge you to read this positive and uplifting tale - with or without the cappuccino and cookies recommended by the author!