Profile for Wim2600 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Agatha Christie's Poirot - The Definitive Collection (Series 1-13) [DVD]
Agatha Christie's Poirot - The Definitive Collection (Series 1-13) [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Suchet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to finally have a Definitive Collection, but it's not flawless, 2 Dec 2013
I thought long and hard before ordering this box set, as I had already bought the 12 box sets that were released over here in Belgium over the years.

However, the Belgian/Dutch editions would never be complete, as for reasons unknown to me, the rights to "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" were never obtained, so this (double) episode has never released over here. Also, as is unfortunately often the case, the Dutch subtitles were at times quite cringe-worthy, so a complete edition with English subtitles had always a very tempting prospect.

Learning that this box set would be "completely complete" (Styles included) and would contain English subtitles, was what sealed the deal for me.

I must say I'm happy with my new box set, but as other reviewers have pointed out, it is not flawless:

- Indeed, the older episodes do not appear to be the remastered versions. I'm guessing they will be held back to make more of a difference when eventually a blu-ray edition is released in the UK. But since my previous Belgian box sets also weren't remastered and this did not really impair my enjoyment of them, I'm not too bothered about it. If, however, you want the perfect edition for your HD flatscreen TV, this isn't the one for you.

- The packaging into two (quite sturdy) plastic cases makes sure the discs are well-protected: it's very unlikely they'll become detached by accident. This, however is also the drawback of the system: removing a disc from its case isn't as easy as it could be. I wouldn't go as far as some reviewers have done and say that the packaging ruins the box set, though. It just means you have to be careful when removing and replacing the discs.

- Although each disc is clearly labelled and numbered, and lists the episodes it contains, and the cover sheets of each of the two plastic cases list the episodes in their running order, a collection of this size (and price) could/should have included some kind of booklet with photos and a brief synopsis of each episode, the original date of transmission, the main cast, etc. It would not have been too huge a task to provide such info for 70 episodes, especially as previous editions (well, at least those released in Belgium) did contain it.

So, whereas Poirot to me is a 5-star series, and this box set looks very nice indeed, standing as it does in my book case next to all of Ms Christie's novels and a number of other Christie box sets, the points mentioned above force me to take away one star for presentation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2013 5:10 PM GMT

The Jungle Book 1 and 2 [Blu-ray] [1967]
The Jungle Book 1 and 2 [Blu-ray] [1967]
Dvd ~ Wolfgang Reitherman

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Disney has never looked better..., 5 Sep 2013
Just watched my all-time favourite Disney classic "The Jungle Book" on blu-ray, and I think it looks and sounds stunning. The colours are more vibrant, the sound is rich and clear... I'm all excited again, just like I was as a little boy.

The Jungle Book on blu-ray is one of life's bare necessities ;-)

Coronation Street - Best of 1960 - 1969 - [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]
Coronation Street - Best of 1960 - 1969 - [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Roache

4.0 out of 5 stars Great box set, 15 July 2013
Having only quite recently become a regular Coronation Street viewer, it's been great familiarising myself through the 80 episodes in this box set with the characters and storylines that made the show the institution it is today.
I had already started collecting and reading quite a number of books on the Street and its origins, and these dvds are a terrific way of bringing to life what I'd been reading about.

The dvds come in a nice, compact box, and I was pleasantly surprised the box includes a booklet outlining the contents of each episode in the collection. This collection contains all 7 episodes from 1960, and 73 more that cover the rest of the decade.

As I'm not a native speaker of English, I would have liked English subtitles... although I must admit I find the dialogue in Weatherfield easier to understand than that in Walford.

Coronation Street - Best of 1980-1989 [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid collection, 15 July 2013

Coronation Street - Best of 1970-1979 - [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]
Coronation Street - Best of 1970-1979 - [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patricia Phoenix

4.0 out of 5 stars Great collection... only subtitles could have improved it., 15 July 2013

The Hunchback of Notre Dame [Blu-ray] [1996] [Region Free]
The Hunchback of Notre Dame [Blu-ray] [1996] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Hulce

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but..., 23 Mar 2013
The Hunchback of Notre Dame [Blu-ray] [1996][Region Free]

Just finished watching the blu-ray release of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. It was released in Belgium earlier this week together with Mulan, Brother Bear and Aladdin, at the relatively low price of 12 (about £10) each, which makes me think this release is identical to the one planned for April in the UK), and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent HD picture and sound quality of the main feature, which - for me at least - is the most important factor in giving this release a positive review.

However, for those of you interested in elaborated interactive menus and spectacular extras, don't expect too much: this is a very basic blu-ray release, with the menu consisting merely of the cover picture, with links to the movie, the language and subtitle options and the extras. These extras are by the way the same ones as on the previous dvd release, and they are not in high-definition (which is particularly obvious when they include fragments of the actual movie, in a blurry, bland quality reminiscent of an old vhs tape).

Still, the relatively low price seems to take this basic treatment into account, so all in all it's still a very good deal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2013 12:30 PM BST

Haas & Cie. Chronograph Vitesse Black Gents Watch MFH211ZBA
Haas & Cie. Chronograph Vitesse Black Gents Watch MFH211ZBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 1 Jan 2012
Pleasantly surprised to find that this watch looks and feels better in real life than I would have imagined. Easy to use and works great, especially considering the very moderate price.

I hadn't owned or worn a watch for over a decade, but browsing through the Boxing Day Deals this one caught my eye, I ordered it, and two days later I was wearing it.

Very happy with it.

Harry Potter: The Complete 1-8 Film Collection - Limited Numbered Edition (Blu-ray + DVD) [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by rbmbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking boxset and surprisingly inexpensive!, 6 Dec 2011
My Limited Edition Blu-ray/dvd boxset finally arrived today (I got nr. 4,286, by the way), and what a bargain it is!

A nice-looking, sturdy box, an adorable little photo album (just like the one Hagrid gave to Harry, apart from the moving pictures, obviously), 8 region 2 DVDs and 11 region-free Blu-ray discs. Lovely!

For people complaining about this box being too expensive, count yourselves lucky you don't live in Belgium, where DVDs and Blu-rays are ridiculously expensive:

Price of this boxset on Amazon.co.uk: £ 66.97
Price of the same boxset in Belgian shops: 199.99, or a staggering £ 171.12 (!)

And besides: £ 66.97 comes down to a very reasonable £ 8.37 per film, and that's without counting the extras.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2011 8:15 PM GMT