Profile for gabby > Reviews

The Devil Wears Prada
The Devil Wears Prada
by Lauren Weisberger

4.0 out of 5 stars Why all the bad reviews?!, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
This book isn't the best book I've ever read by far, but I really don't understand all the 1 and 2 star ratings when it's a really entertaining read! It's not exceptionally moving or groundbreaking, but it's a gripping book that you'll enjoy from start to finish as you learn more about the characters. Somebody said Andrea was one dimensional - the book's plot doesn't allow for her to develop properly, that's true - but it doesn't stop her being a fun and likeable main character. I'd definitely recommend it especially for a holiday read. The film didn't live up to the book at all!

Swallowing Grandma
Swallowing Grandma
by Kate Long

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those books you finish and think that HAS to be my favourite!, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: Swallowing Grandma (Paperback)
I absolutely LOVED this book, more than The Bad Mother's Handbook which is saying something. I felt the characters were even more vivid than last time, and I thought the character of Katherine was so easy to relate to even though I have nothing in common with her situation. I read this in two days, and I'm a really slow reader which shows how unputdownable it was! The kind of book you wish you could write yourself. Not only is it funny, but moving, and personally this is what I think is its best quality - its honesty. It doesn't dress life up as a fairy tale leaving readers wondering why their's isn't so perfect, it tells a realistic story that still manages to resonate with warmth and happiness.

Making Your Mind Up
Making Your Mind Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant effort, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: Making Your Mind Up (Paperback)
Yet another fabulous book by one of the best chick lit authors there is. Even more fantastic characters you can relate to, another story you get wrapped up in and a book you'll be really sorry to get to the end of. If you're a Mansell fan already, there's no excuse not to read this one! You won't be disappointed.

Two's Company
Two's Company

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: Two's Company (Paperback)
Along with Good at Games, I think Two's Company is an example of Jill Mansell at her very very best. It's impossible to ever finish a Jill Mansell book feeling disappointed, because you get so swept up in the characters and their stories as the book goes on, but this one really is in a league of its own. The whole Mandeville family are brilliant characters - I especially love feisty Cleo, who's down to earth despite being a world famous model. And it's impossible not to love Sophie, who doesn't care whatsoever about fame and fortune, who has the potential to be stunning (which is realised in the book!) but has better things to do with her time. The storyline itself is brilliant - as with all Mansell's novels it is based on the trials and tribulations of love and relationships. Cass and Jack appear to have the perfect marriage, until it all goes horribly wrong when she discovers he's been having an affair. The story covers the humiliation of so much public interest in the breakdown of their marriage, and comes to a happy, satisfying ending. Fun, moving and full of laugh out loud antics, this book is a must read.

Version
Version
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars dont have it but..., 9 April 2007
This review is from: Version (Audio CD)
ive heard the amy winehouse song valerie (well the zutons song really)

i listened to the acoustic version loads on youtube but couldnt find anywhere to download it. it showcases her vocals practically better than her own songs! beautiful. and i reckon the mark ronson versions the closest thing you'll be able to get to that acoustic version, although this ones fab as well gorgeous horns and an amazing beat. i LOVE it. i might buy the whole album just to get hold of that one song.

Undiscovered
Undiscovered

5.0 out of 5 stars dont even have the album and i dont need it to know this is a 5* CD, 14 July 2006
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
Absolutely mindblowingly amazing voice, you hear some people sing live and they're completely out of tune especially recently artists I've respected i've then heard live and they sound all off key but James Morrison surely cant be undiscovered for much longer! Wonderful World is possibly the best song I've heard in years! I ADORE you give me something as well. i've heard bits of every song and i love each and every one. if you havent heard any of james' stuff its basically pop, but pop sounds too sugary and lightweight a word for something as genius as this. i suppose its how pop should sound but its also amazingly soulful music proving james morrison has REAL talent. every song is catchy and gorgeous; this isnt one of those overhyped albums that turns out to be rubbish, this is the real deal and I WANT IT NOW!!!

PS, I Love You
PS, I Love You
by Cecelia Ahern

3.0 out of 5 stars too sad, 3 Jun 2006
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
I expect this book is absolutely brilliant - don't get me wrong, i don't dislike it. It's just that I couldn't get into it because I found the whole idea of it too sad! Every few pages i would stop and try and imagine what it must be like to lose your partner or husband and that kind of put a damper on the experience of reading this book. It's a beautiful idea and i'm sure if i had read it all the way through I would have loved it. The reason i'm writing this review (i know it seems quite pointless!) is to say: Please try this book and see if you can get into it, as you may think it's brilliant by the end of it. Don't be like me and get too depressed by it!

Chariot (2CD Special Edition)
Chariot (2CD Special Edition)
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best ever albums, 3 Dec 2005
I would give this endless stars never mind 5! EVERY song is catchy and they all have great lyrics. I don't know who to compare him to - perhaps Tyler James but a MILLION times better, Robbie Williams... no it's hard to compare him to anybody else as he's so unique. It's the kind of album I was waiting for somebody to make, and now they have and I love Gavin deGraw, he has a great voice and this is a musthave album. If you like catchy rocky-ish pop music with good lyrics and the odd slower ballad this is for you. Don't hesitate - just buy it.

Good at Games
Good at Games

5.0 out of 5 stars not long enough!, 22 Oct 2005
This review is from: Good at Games (Paperback)
despite being about 500 pages i read this in 2 evenings, about 300 pages in the second night, because i just couldn't put it down. i never normally get that caught up in a book! this book is hilariously funny, addictive and you just can't stop once you've started. i think it's my favourite romantic eomedy book of all time - the characters are great especially Suzy, the main character, and i guarantee you will love this.

Frank
Frank
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars a must buy album, 16 Oct 2005
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
After about 2 years of desperately wanting this album (especially after seeing her at Glastonbury in 2003) i finally have it, and it is well worth the wait! i loved Stronger than Me but i don't think it is actually the best track on the album. Other highlights for me are You Sent Me Flying, F**k me Pumps, What is it about men, Amy Amy Amy, Help Yourself and Moody's Mood for Love. There is also a hidden track - Cherry - which is an added bonus. I love her raw, open, funny lyrics and incredible yet unique voice, she's so different to a lot of the artists out there. I hope she hurries up with her next album! The only track on here that I skip is In My Bed, which I'm sure is a lot of people's favourite song but, although it gets stuck in my head, I don't like it as it sounds a bit odd and is very different to the laidback, beautiful jazz-pop sounds on the other songs. But buy it and make up your own mind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3