ARRAY(0xae5ee750)

Adam Hall SKDB039 Speaker Stand
Offered by Inta-Audio
Price: 24.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Samson MS100, 27 July 2012
Like a previous reviewer, I bought this speaker stand to replace a broken Samson MS100 for my monitors.

The speaker plate is nice and big, it easily fits my RPG5. It feels more secure than the previously mentioned speaker stand; having a twisty-tightener thing that doesn't take the skin off your hands and also a bolt that goes through the whole stand. It's quite a bit chunkier than it needs to be though, not as 'slimline' as the MS100, but for something just to stick my monitors on in my bedroom this isn't really a problem. Someone mentioned that the bolt at the bottom sticks out which it does, but it also comes with some flat screw-on feet which negate this problem. They are only small feet though which does make the stand a bit wobbly if you knock it along the straight edges of the base plate, so maybe not good if you have a kids or big dogs running about. Overall though they are great for the money, I almost wish my other other MS100 stand was broken so I could get a matching pair of these.

The Hobbit
The Hobbit
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 6 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
As a newcomer to Tolkien I wanted to read this as a prelude to the Lord of the Rings. I didn't know the plot of the Hobbit before reading (unlike LotR) or the writing style of Tolkien, and from hearing people talk about his books I was expecting it to be a bit of a difficult read; but it really wasn't! I was pleasantly surprised by how fast-paced the book is, while still being extremely vivid and descriptive; the story never lagged. The plot itself is fantastic and unpredictable for the most part, but I won't ruin it by going into it. The illustrations in this edition further helped me to imagine the world that Tolkien created. I would recommend the Hobbit to anyone that hasn't yet read it.

Nation
Nation
by Terry Pratchett
Price: 5.03

3.0 out of 5 stars An all right book., 27 Oct 2010
This review is from: Nation (Paperback)
As an avid fan of the Discworld series I was a bit disappointed with this book, but it is still worth a read for Pratchett fans.
I won't go into the plot too much as it's already been discussed in other reviews. My main gripe with the book is the constant hammering of the religious theme; I understand that it's integral to the story but it gets a bit cloying well before half the book is finished. Also, it's just not as funny as I've found Pratchett's other books; there are a handful of laughs but it generally feels quite serious. That said, it is a good, well-written story and I was compelled to read it through fairly quickly and despite the unoriginal scenario it didn't seem predictable at all. It just lacked that certain something that has propelled me through the discworld novels.

Overall, it's a good book and easy to read, but it's by no means Pratchett's best work.

Mushrooms (Collins Gem)
Mushrooms (Collins Gem)
by Patrick Harding
Price: 3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Sep 2010
This book is very compact and contains hundreds of fungi. As has been said; it errs on the side of caution when it comes to what you can eat, so if you really want to eat some of the ones that are 'inedible' then you may want a book which is a bit more detailed. But for use in the field it is fantastic, it has an easy to use key for identifying different mushrooms (though for a lot of them you will need get a spore print to confidently ID them, which is a bit time consuming and can't really be done while you're out foraging). I bought this along with 'Food for Free', which features some of the more common edible 'shrooms but not in great detail. Having this book to cross-reference is great. It has photos as well as illustrations for most of the fungi.
Overall, fantastic book for the price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2012 10:13 PM BST

Trees (Collins Gem)
Trees (Collins Gem)
by Alastair Fitter
Price: 3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: Trees (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
This is a brilliant little book, and very easy to use, for identifying trees. It is very compact and easily fits in my jacket pocket (along with another two books of the same size!) but is still in enough detail to identify whatever you're looking at. Most pictures in the book are illustrations, but they are still very useful and clear, a few photos would be nice but the drawings are more than sufficient. I bought this along with the Collins Gem Mushrooms and Food for Free books, I'm glad I did as cross-referencing between the three makes me more confident about what I can eat!
Fantastic for the price; for a beginner it is a brilliant buy.

BCB Fireball Flint and Striker
BCB Fireball Flint and Striker

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it's meant to., 14 July 2010
This is a great fire steel, makes a very good concentrated shower of sparks. I haven't used any other brand of fire steel, but I can't imagine any being much better than this. If anyone is having problems with it, then don't forget you need to scrape through the black coating before it will work.