Profile for S. W. Buck > Reviews

Content by S. W. Buck

S. W. Buck (East Riding of Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Winsor & Newton Art Masking Fluid
Winsor & Newton Art Masking Fluid

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy addition, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Winsor & Newton Art Masking Fluid
Having never used masking fluid I was amazed at the effect created. I must say every watercolour artist should keep this in their kit.

Mendelssohn: Overture "A Midsummer Night's Dream", Op.21
Mendelssohn: Overture "A Midsummer Night's Dream", Op.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling version, 2 Nov 2010
I only purchased the Overture from this CD. I had this performance as a teenager on a Decca World of LP. It was the first version I ever heard and in my mind it is one of the best. Both sound and performance are top notch. My old LP has long since gone so it is nice to have the recording again. Highly recommended.

Sinbad the Sailor
Sinbad the Sailor

1.0 out of 5 stars Sinbad is bad, 2 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sinbad the Sailor (MP3 Download)
Being a fan of both Basil Rathbone and Sir Thomas Beecham I purchased this mp3 download. All is well when the music starts. The sound is mono but good. When the dialogue begins the sound is terrible. No effort has been made to clean up the sound. If you can stand more than a couple of minutes then you are very brave. What an absolute shame. One day sombody may try to improve things. Until then avoid at all costs.

Original Hits: Easy
Original Hits: Easy

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy music classic., 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Original Hits: Easy (MP3 Download)
A first rate bargain. What more can I say except for just over a fiver this is what entertainment is all about. This CD is becoming my most played ipod file. Go on buy it, you won't regret it. Fantastic bargain.

The Best of Wagner
The Best of Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Wagner, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Best of Wagner (MP3 Download)
I first purchased this recording back in the 70's when I was building up my classical collection. The music was then on a Decca Eclipse mono LP. This was my introduction to the music of Wagner. The highlight is the Tannhauser Overture and Venusberg music. A marvelous performance with good sound. The old LP went a long time ago so imagine my surprise to find the recordings on Amazon. It was a delight to hear them again after so long. Thanks Amazon, keep up the good work.

Carry On
Carry On

5.0 out of 5 stars A good laugh with great music., 1 July 2010
This review is from: Carry On (MP3 Download)
As long as I can remember the Carry On films have always made me laugh. When I saw this CD of Carry On film themes I just had to buy it. It was a very pleasant surprise to find as well as the music, clips from the films themselves have been included. This makes this CD a must purchase for anybody who likes a right good laugh. As Kenneth Williams remarks on track one. Rank stupidity. One CD that will be played over and over again.

Rhapsody in Blue
Rhapsody in Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate Gershwin., 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Rhapsody in Blue (MP3 Download)
This performance of 'Rhapsody in Blue' is to me the definative one because it uses the original piano roll as made by Gershwin himself. The studio recorded the orchestra to accompany the piano roll in the late 70's. The effect is quite magical. The sound is also first class.

That Magnificent Man and His Music Machine: Two Sides of Ron Goodwin
That Magnificent Man and His Music Machine: Two Sides of Ron Goodwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Ron Goodwin ., 27 Nov 2009
A first rate collection from one of the finest film and light music composers. Ron Goodwin could certainly write a good tune and had a top class orchestra to play them. A sheer delight from start to finish.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4