Profile for Gael Pawson > Reviews

Content by Gael Pawson

Gael Pawson

Powder Burn (Burn with Sam Blackett Book 1)
Powder Burn (Burn with Sam Blackett Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable thriller, 2 April 2013
Part tale of snowboarding dudes on an adrenaline mission, mixed with ancient legends, toss in a dash of modern thriller and a boy meets girl romance in the background, this book gets you hooked from the outset. Different again from Mark's earlier novels, and yet holds the same 'unputdownable' quality, perhaps in even greater abundance.

Game of Sails: An Olympic Love Story
Game of Sails: An Olympic Love Story
by Carol Newman Cronin

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, 19 April 2012
As a complete sailing addict, and a lifelong hoover of fiction, I tend to read everything that has a sailing theme to it, and it's always great when someone really knows their sport. But any sports fan will relate to this tale, as will anyone who enjoys an original take on the 'boy meets girl' story. Being a typical girl I also like a bit of romance - although to describe this book as a 'romance' doesn't really do it justice. I loved the main characters in the book, the way they spark off each other from the start simply works and the story progresses in a way that isn't predictable and keeps you guessing. I'm off to read Carol's other books now!

The Fulcrum Files
The Fulcrum Files

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to put down, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Fulcrum Files (Kindle Edition)
Take a classic novel and combine it with a modern thriller format, set it in the world-famous sailing hub that is Hamble, which was also where the Spitfire was built, and you have an idea of Mark Chisnell's latest offering. Very different in feel from his previous novels, it still has some of the the same characteristics; gripping plot, well-drawn characters and a sharp attention to detail.

Set among the politics and social system of pre-WW2 England, it incorporates a number of the issues of the day as well as the novel's central plot, surrounding the murder of the main character's friend. Pacifism, class discrimination, sailing, intrigue, romance, sailing... Part Erskine Childers' Riddle of the Sands part John Buchan's Thirty-Nine Steps, this has the potential to be a real classic - I read it in one sitting with just a brief break for my eyes. Looking forward to a print version which is going to solve a few birthday present problems!

West Coast
West Coast
by Kate Muir

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good light read, 27 May 2009
This review is from: West Coast (Paperback)
This was a really pleasant surprise - I'm not a chick lit fan, really enjoyed the characters and their complexities, the down to earth nature and the colour of the characters... and being a fan of the west coast of Scotland that added to the enjoyment too. Uplifting with a sense of fate, I found it light, easy and a fast read while well-written and well worth picking up.

Cool Runnings [DVD] [1994]
Cool Runnings [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ John Candy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 28 Mar 2008
This review is from: Cool Runnings [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
This is one of those films you keep in the cupboard and pull out every time you need cheering up. Very funny, as well as being a great tale of the underdog surprising all the doubters, there are some classic scenes - such as training in an ice cream van -- which will stay with you, but will still make you laugh every time you see them. Easy, lighthearted entertainment which leaves you feeling good.

Letters from Father Christmas
Letters from Father Christmas
by J. R. R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars Every house should have one, 18 Aug 2006
My mum used to read this to us when we were children - it really added to the magic of Christmas, especially as 'Father Christmas' then used to write notes to us on the back of beautiful postcards.

Tolkien builds a fabulous picture of Father Christmas's world in a way that shows how he understood children so well - of course there has to be a North Pole, and I never forgot the stories of the North Polar Bear climbing up to get Father Christmas's hat back and breaking it because he had been eating rather a lot and was a bit plump! The goblins were a bit scary, the North Polar Bear a bit scatty (one year he went to sleep in the bath and the cellars got flooded ruining all the presents so that year there nearly weren't any presents at all). So beautifully illustrated and magical, my brother and I would beg my mum to re-read the book every year in the lead up to Christmas and when we got our cards from FC it was always a highlight of Christmas morning. My mum never wrote as much as Tolkien or drew pictures, but a few lines in shaky writing thanking us for the sweets we left out and and telling a small story to explain if we hadn't quite got what we'd asked for was part of the magic of Christmas - it stopped us complaining if we got something different and we always treasured the cards - who says everything about Christmas has to be expensive! Every friend of mine gets a copy when they have their first child.