Profile for 60's Fanatic > Reviews

Content by 60's Fanatic

60's Fanatic "Lars" (Deutschland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Drawn To The Deep End
Drawn To The Deep End

3.0 out of 5 stars All fur coat and no knickers ..., 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Drawn To The Deep End (Audio CD)
Craving to get hold of all the Gene reissues I was glad to hold this beloved Gene album in my hands. After ordering Olympian, which I still consider as a masterpiece, I'm a bit in two minds about "Drawn to the deep end". Nothing can be criticised about the sound quality, I was also pleased about the inclusion of the Royal Albert Hall EPs, though I was still hoping for the complete gig. Regarding the track selection I was a bit bewildered why Edsel hasn't included "A town called malice" from the Jam tribute album "Fire and Skill" which was also recorded in the wake of "Deep end". The booklet doesn't satisfy me at all: In the interview section the former band members give this fantastic album a bit of a negative image, over emphasizing Martin Rossiter's mental state at the time of recording and by constantly stating that the whole project failed to be a million seller - as a loyal fan who loved the band and their music at that time this is hardly understandable. After nearly 20 years it's always easy to scrutinize something that has actually meant a lot to their followers. Adding up to this it appears to me that Edsel has finally run out of ideas, hence the sparse illustrations of memorabilia and unreadable articles from Melody Maker and the Washington Post, as well as photographs which have already been used for the Olympian re-release, not to mention the absence of chart positions,single track lists and tour dates. All in all this compilation is still a must for any Gene fan, but leaves a lot to be desired regarding the loveless leaflet and poor research work.

Revell German Infantry WWII Plastic Model Kit
Revell German Infantry WWII Plastic Model Kit
Offered by World Wide Shopping Mall Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Matchbox revisited, 7 April 2014
High priced vintage and rarities dealers cry your hearts out! Here they are again after a couple of decades: The beloved Matchbox action soldiers I held dear to me in my childhood days in a new packaging and at a reasonable price (ever looked for vintage Matchbox soldiers in online auctions?). Revell has changed the plastic colour from blue to green which is the only difference apart from the weight I can detect between Revell and the vintage figures - Were they more solid in the past? I'm not quite sure about this aspect. However Revell has finally revived the old Matchbox 1/76 and 1/32 series and father and sons are simply delighted. Compared to the brittle Airfix soldiers this is a very pleasant addition in the 54mm range for playing and painting alike. Hoping for the reissue of the fab Commandos set soon!

Union Jack Doormat
Union Jack Doormat

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Union Jack Doormat
This doormat didn't last longer than a year and looked really shabby towards the end. First it lost its colour after a few showers of rain and a little bit of snow and frost lead to tears in the rubber base which was ripped to shreds towards the end of the winter season. All in all a let down and only suitable for indoor use. This is definitely not worth a buy!

Olympian
Olympian

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympic re-release, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Olympian (Audio CD)
Who can ask for more? You are getting a digitally remastered reissue of one of the finest pop albums of the 1990s together with two concerts (Live at Sound City, Live at the Forum). The featured live version "Haunted by you" has already been released on "New amusements" and "Truth rest your head" from the Forum gig was the B-side of "For the dead", but that's bean counting compared to the actual value of this neatly compiled record. One thing that is beyond the scope of this record is the absence of the promotional videos that the band had made - I haven't got a clue if any authorized DVD exists at all, nor do I know about the total amount of realised clips apart from "Olympian" and a few live videos that are featured on different 90's compilations. A complete video guide would have been a pleasant feature on this audio CD, as well as a discography including all the different 7'/12' singles with release date and tracklists. The booklet itself takes you on a trip to Gene's beginnings, showing a pastiche of photographs, tour posters and other memorabilia. A nice addition is the interview section in which the former band members make comments on the recordings of the songs - sadly Martin Rossiter doesn't make any contribution here... Can't wait to get hold of the other reissues!

Live at Bush Hall
Live at Bush Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gig!, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Live at Bush Hall (DVD)
Would have given an arm and a leg to attend this concert ... Martin Rossiter delivers a perfect set comprising songs from "The defenstration of ..." as well as gems from the past, namely the iconic "London can you wait", the anthem "Olympian" and the heartwrenching ballad "Is it over" from Gene's final release "Libertine". Martin Rossiter's brilliant voice accompanies each song perfectly,the set cleverly linking his musical past and present. His voice hasn't suffered, in fact it still sounds very much the same as it did in the 90s,putting an authentic and sentimental mark on the songs. My favourites on this release are "Drop anchor", "Olympian" and the joyful temperamental "I must be Jesus".Considering the limited orchestration - mainly piano and harmonica on "Where there are pixels" - Martin Rossiter manages to get the ball rolling, leaving nothing to be desired (except for the cameo appearance of Steve Mason on guitar maybe ...). I can only hope that he doesn't call it a day after the latest releases and will continue making music. The pre-ordering service on Amazon is simply unbeatable: The item was dispatched and shipped in record time and I can only state that at 9.99 this release is a true bargain - I wonder how this can possibly feed the artist's family!

Postscript 6th February
After watching the DVD twice my wife still insists that Martin should better dress in a tonic suit instead of the sweater he's wearing ...

Airfix Quick Build Messerschmitt Bf109e Aircraft Model Kit
Airfix Quick Build Messerschmitt Bf109e Aircraft Model Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Airfix goes Legoland, 15 Sept. 2013
I have just bought this easy to assemble model kit together with the Spitfire antagonist for my seven year old son. Both models were shipped in record time by Amazon and my boy managed to assemble the plane within a quarter of an hour without any difficulties. The parts match together well and the decals are easily attached. Together with his younger brother my son is now able to re-enact the Battle of Britain in our living room. All in all the Lego inspired system is a pleasant new addition to the classic back catalogue that is currently reissued by Airfix. Compared to the famous Danish company Airfix doesn't offer any working features apart from the propellor - no opening canopy, no working landing gear, which costs the product one star in my rating. Another troublespot are the decals: once the model is crashed, the stickers will get lost pretty soon. It would have been a better decision to print the decals on the plastic parts (which is by the way, also the impression that you get when looking at the backside of the box). For me as a grown up who used to play with Airfix and Lego in his childhood alike, I'd be more than happy about a bigger scale model in the Quick Build range. How about developing a 1/24 Me 109 for this series?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2013 7:36 PM BST

Airfix Quick Build Spitfire Aircraft Model Kit
Airfix Quick Build Spitfire Aircraft Model Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Airfix goes Legoland, 14 Sept. 2013
I have just bought this easy to assemble model kit together with the Messerschmidt antagonist for my seven year old son. Both models were shipped in record time by Amazon and my boy managed to assemble the plane within a quarter of an hour without any difficulties. The parts match together well and the decals are easily attached. Together with his younger brother my son is now able to re-enact the Battle of Britain in our living room. All in all the Lego inspired system is a pleasant new addition to the classic back catalogue that is currently reissued by Airfix. Compared to the famous Danish company Airfix doesn't offer any working features apart from the propellor - no opening canopy, no working landing gear, which costs the product one star in my rating. Another troublespot are the decals: once the model is crashed, the stickers will get lost pretty soon. It would have been a better choice to print the decals on the plastic parts (which is by the way, also the impression that you get when looking at the backside of the box). For me as a grown up who used to play with Airfix and Lego in his childhood alike, I'd be more than happy about a bigger scale model in the Quick Build range. How about developing a 1/24 Spifire for this series?

Airfix A02702 WWII German Infantry 1:32 Scale Series 2 Plastic Figures
Airfix A02702 WWII German Infantry 1:32 Scale Series 2 Plastic Figures

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty faulty reissue, 25 Aug. 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
It must be more than thirty years now since I have played with Airfix figures myself and I'm very pleased that the classic toys from my childhood are issued again. I have just bought this package of soldiers for my oldest son and wanted to bring joy to him by painting the dark blue figures (they were light blue in my days if I remember rightly). My first impression: The figures are of a strange kind of brittle hard plastic which is OK for painting, but the tips of the weapons snap and break very easily even if you are extremely cautious. If Airfix wants to offer more than an item for display they should change something about the formula of the plastic. In my opinion it would be a turn for the better if the figures came out in durable white hard plastic (like the German Preiser figures) which would ad to the value of the toy soldiers. My verdict: When accurately painted this set is a well detailed vintage item for the display cabinet, but on the other hand not the solid toy I fondly remember from my childhood days.

That's Entertainment: The Collection [Explicit]
That's Entertainment: The Collection [Explicit]

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth a buy, 25 July 2013
Sorry to say, but this must be the hundredth Jam compilation in the past 30 years after the superb "Snap" album, which was authorized by Weller, Foxton and Buckler shortly before the split of the band. Looking at the tracklist it's like a guided tour through the Jam's studio albums without offering listeners any alternate versions or unissued songs. Adding up to this I have the impression that the compiler didn't waste a lot of time for sussing out the songs on this CD, hence the inclusion of some of the weaker Jam tunes,like "I've changed my address"; "The place I love" or "Wasteland". If you're looking for real "Entertainment" you should stick to the original "Snap" Compilation (by the way: Polydor released a brushed up and digitalised version a couple of years ago) which has much more under the belt than this uninspired cheap instalment release which is ommitting so many of the tunes that listeners can expect from a "best of" album (eg "Start", "Away from the numbers", "When you're young","David Watts", "Beat surrender",).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 8:52 AM BST

Fine Young Cannibals
Fine Young Cannibals
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars The FYC at their utmost best, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Fine Young Cannibals (Audio CD)
Having just rediscovered my vinyl treasures of the long neglected "nineteenhaties" I fell for the FYC's debut again. Enough is said on the songs featured, so my short review shall only refer to the song selection on this compilation. For me being a fan right from the start I'd been happy to discover more extras than the omnispresent variations of "Johnny..." and "Suspicious minds" (featuring Jimi Sommerville on backing vocals). At any price they should have included the single version of "Funny how love is" which is different from the album track as well as other b-side material(12 inch"Funny how ..." also features a fantastic live version of "Johnny come home" and there are lots of live videos on Youtube which suggests that there is more to explore beyond the repetitious and dull remixes of their single outtakes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4