Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Dualit 46205 4 Slot Lite Toaster in Black Finish
Dualit 46205 4 Slot Lite Toaster in Black Finish
Price: 73.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Dualit should stick to what they know, 25 Mar 2014
Apparently, Dualit have resisted the urge to make a pop up toaster for years. I wish they had resisted it a little longer.

Toaster looks nice. It makes adequate toast - and when I say "adequate" I mean as good as a 10 pound pop up off of the 80s. Your first piece will take a lot longer than subsequent ones because the plates aren't hot yet. Most toasters now compensate for this but not the cunning folks at Dualit! If your first piece is spot on then the second will be burnt enough to set off your smoke alarm. The best way is to make a scrifice piece of warmish bread, throw it away and then toast the rest.

The bagel setting as others have noted is great for teacakes. That's if you like your teacake patchily burnt on one side, vaguely warm on the other and raw in the middle. Actually a raw middle is pretty much what this toaster excels at. I think the plates run hotter than most so it chars the outside before cooking the middle. Kind of like cooking toast on a barbecue but more expensive.

But the major problem with it is that after 4 days, it no longer makes toast. It worked fine for the first half dozen slices. Then the left side refused to lock down. If it doesn't lock down then the plates won't heat up and so it doesn't, you know, make toast.

That's right. It cost 12 per slice. Of mostly raw toast.

I wanted to like this toaster (really, it looks great! and it's British!!!!). But it doesn't make toast very well. And then it doesn't make toast. There are cheaper things that look nice in your kitchen and do the same. A pot plant for example.

Brussels Marco Polo Guide (Marco Polo Guides) (Marco Polo Travel Guides)
Brussels Marco Polo Guide (Marco Polo Guides) (Marco Polo Travel Guides)
by Marco Polo
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 6 Dec 2012
Nice guide book, decent maps. For the money you can't go wrong. A little light on detail in some areas but that's the price you pay for a pocket guide.

Sylvania 15W ES E27 Energy Saving Dusk to Dawn Sensor Light Bulb
Sylvania 15W ES E27 Energy Saving Dusk to Dawn Sensor Light Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, 6 Dec 2012
Replaced identical bulbs that lasted 4 years.

At night they come on, in the day they go off. Simple. Saves costly timer and a lot of faffing.

No Beast So Fierce
No Beast So Fierce
Price: 2.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Pedestrian writing / glamorises crime, 6 Dec 2012
I'm not really sure what I expected but this is basically a diary ("this happened then I did this then this happened") with littelt characterisation. It's an explanation of why all the horrid things the author has done weren't his fault. As it happens I somewhat agree with him. But not enough to like his book.

Really can't see why the critics rate it.

DK Eyewitness Pocket Map and Guide: Brussels
DK Eyewitness Pocket Map and Guide: Brussels
by Dorling Kindersley ( DK CHU BAN SHE )
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars They ain't kidding when they say "pocket", 6 Dec 2012
Small enough to fit your pocket. Almost too small to read.

General DK stuff - nice and clear with decent info.

SureFire EarPro EP3 Medium - Sonic Defenders -- Safety Product of the Year - Hypoallergenic - Made in USA EP3-MPR Medium Pair

1.0 out of 5 stars At least Amazon do refunds..., 1 Nov 2012
I got these for shooting. If I used them, I'd be deaf by now.

Maybe they don't fit my ears though we measured carefully and got the right size. They muffle regular sound a bit but don't do ANYTHING for sudden sharp sounds which they are designed for. That's probably because they don't make a good seal. If they did (and they may for your ears) then I bet they would be good.

But I sent them back and went back to using over the ear defenders. Awkward and somewhat uncomfortable. But I can still hear things.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users
by Victoria Bampton
Price: 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 12 April 2012
I've used Lightroom for a while. I think I'm pretty good at it. This book shows that I literally don't know the half of it.

Well written and easy to read with a conversational style and great for dipping into. I keep a copy on my Kindle and read a nugget every time I get 5 minutes.

This book will help you get more out of Lightroom, edit faster and get better results. Bargain.

Faringdon Collection Bakers Pride Non Stick Baking Sheet 41x30cm
Faringdon Collection Bakers Pride Non Stick Baking Sheet 41x30cm
Price: 10.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, 5 Jan 2012
No frills item that does the job.

It's metal, it's about the size they say and stuff doesn't stick to it. What more do you want?

Cuissential SlickMat - Non-stick Silicone Baking Mat; Baking Sheet Size (Pastry Mat, Baking Liner)
Offered by Cuissential
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be awesome, 14 Dec 2011
Works very well for stopping things sticking in the oven. The first time I used it (for some tomato bread) it turned a bit red but that really doesn't matter. Looks like it will last a very long time.

Based on other reviews, I really bought it for kneading bread dough on. It's not ideal for this as the sticky dough sticks to it better than it sticks to the counter and all of a sudden you have a ball of dough wrapped in slick mat.

Works fine for everything else though. Far more substantial than other mats I've seen.