Profile for Elaine K > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
E Sia Cosi'
E Sia Cosi'

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing voice!, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: E Sia Cosi' (MP3 Download)
I discovered Aleandro Baldi by accident, via Il Divo's rather insipid cover of his self-penned, autobiographical song "Passerà".
This album contains his SanRemo debut "La Nave Va", and while it definitely isn't (in my opinion) the best of his 6 studio albums, the title track is worth the purchase alone. Some of the sexiest vocals I have ever heard! As usual, most of the songs deal with the issues of his life, his battles against diversity since he was born blind, and lost loves. But then, If Aleandro was to make an album of him singing the phone book, I would buy it! A shame he seems to have pretty much retired from the commercial music scene now that he is a certified guitar maestro.

Per dirti t'amo
Per dirti t'amo

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the one track, not the whole album, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Per dirti t'amo (MP3 Download)
I am a big fan of Aleandro Baldi and bought the track after hearing him sing it live on You Tube. A really up-beat, foot-tapping song and I love the lyrics where the man is trying to find the words to tell his girl that he loves her, without going over the top. The writer, Pierangelo Bertoli, is whom the album is dedicated to, and as I love this song so much I may well give the rest of the tracks a listen

Passerà
Passerà

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the version I was looking for but still good, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Passerà (MP3 Download)
A few weeks ago I was flicking around the TV channels and came across an Il Divo concert. The song they were singing was really nice so I googled the few Italian words I could gather from the lyrics and found "Passera". It was originally written and sung by Aleandro Baldi for the 1994 San Remo International Song Festival where it was placed first. This is a remixed version, more electronic than orchestral like the original, but still shows off Baldi's powerful vocals. I'm still looking for a download of the original mix, but I could listen to him sing all day.....

Non amarmi
Non amarmi

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great Italian love song duets!, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Non amarmi (MP3 Download)
I discovered singer/songwriter/multi-instumentalist Aleandro Baldi by accident a few weeks ago - via a televised Il Divo concert where they covered one of his other songs, "Passera". What an incredible voice he has. Blind from birth, he wrote this song to tell the true story of his relationship with a sighted girl, whose parents vetoed their romance as they didn't want her to live a life of sacrifice as the carer of her partner. "Non Amarmi" won the prize for best duet at the San Remo International Song Festival in 1992 where Aleandro Baldi duetted with Francesca Alotta, who also has a really good voice. Baldi has gone on to make several albums since then. If you're a fan of the likes of Josh Groban you will probably like Baldi too - his vocals are a little more "pop" than Groban but he has a strong voice suited to powerful ballads like this.

Kenwood HB711M Triblade Hand Blender
Kenwood HB711M Triblade Hand Blender

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what was promised, 29 April 2013
I haven't had this long and haven't used it more than a handful of times but I am really pleased with it. I bought it to replace my old hand blender (a really cheap one which had fallen apart) as I make a lot of soup. The first thing I noticed was that it seemed to do the job a lot quicker. The two speeds are helpful for quicker blending. The potato ricer was a bonus but is really useful as I just bought some new stainless steel pans and I had already put some scratch marks on one using my metal manual masher. This makes the fluffiest lump-free mash I've ever created, and really quickly too. The only downside is there's quite a lot of mash left in the attachment at the end and I need to get a teaspoon to remove most of it. But the effort it saves is well worth it!

HP Deskjet 3050A e-All-in-One Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, AirPrint, Wireless, e-Print)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 9 Jun 2012
We were swayed towards buying this after reading all the favourable reviews. Delivery was really quick, within 48 hours of ordering. Setting up wasn't as straightforward as we'd hoped as we had some problems getting either of our 2 laptops to connect wirelessly. Eventually we got one to work wirelessly but the other has to have the cable connected to print. I'm sure we could overcome this problem with a bit more work but we're happy as we don't print that much stuff off.
Print quality so far is excellent and installing the ink cartridges was very easy.
Overall, for what we've paid, we're happy with the item.

Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea
Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea
by Barbara Demick

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener!, 1 Feb 2012
I first became aware of this book around the time of the death of Kim Jong-Il, just before Christmas. It was hard to believe that the images coming from North Korea were real, such was the forced grief and the pictures of desolation and greyness of the country.
I heard a passage from the book read on the radio, describing how every family has to have a wall in their home dedicated to nothing but pictures of their great leader, and that the police regularly check that the pictures are in place and are kept pristine.
From there, I felt I had to read this book myself. From the moment I opened it I have been gripped with feelings of pity and sadness for the people of North Korea whose lives are so different to ours, or to almost anyone else's in the world, and how they are bombarded with propaganda convincing them that the rest of the world envies their wonderful lives.
The first page is an indication of what is to come - it is a satellite photo of the Korean peninsular, taken at night. The South Korean area is well lit, showing the prosperity of that country, whereas the North is in almost total darkness.
Even if, like me, you are not very interested in politics, these real-life accounts from people who have managed to escape North Korea make fascinating reading. The author Barbara Demick has written her interviews in the form of stories which make for easier reading, and the description of the area is very good.
Highly recommended.

Fort et magique
Fort et magique

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, but pretty good...., 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: Fort et magique (MP3 Download)
I first fell in love with the voice of Shake when I was a teenager, listening to Radio Luxembourg International, the half-hour multi-lingual programme that preceded the English service. Many years on I have been able to relive my youth via YouTube but when I saw this album I just had to buy it. Alas, I didn't realise that the re-recorded songs were also new versions, mostly acoustic. Some songs like "Tu sais Je t'aime (You know I love you)" and "Avec Elle" still work well but there are some that don't sound so good. And although Shake still has a good voice, it lacks the richness of his younger days.
All in all, I'm glad I have the album but I wish I could get hold of a CD of the original versions. That would really take me back!

Best of Billy Field : You Weren't in Love with Me
Best of Billy Field : You Weren't in Love with Me

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed I guess..., 3 Sep 2011
Way back in the early 1980s I bought Billy Field's debut album "Bad Habits" on cassette. I later pre-ordered his follow up, "Try Biology", but it was never released in the UK. Having long lost the "Bad Habits" cassette I thought it would be good to have this "Best Of" album which I thought would include the two albums together.
I'm really happy with the first half of this CD which includes most of the tracks from "Bad Habits" (a couple are missing like "Celebrity Lane" and "Single Man", but the second half just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's the lack of familiarity with the tracks but it doesn't have the same swing feel as the first half. It also sounds a little over-produced at times.
However, I've been able to re-possess the majority of one of my favourite albums of the era so I shouldn't complain too much. It was just that after looking forward so much to receiving this, I felt a bit empty after listening to it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Does just what they said it would, 24 April 2011
We were about to throw a perfectly good TV out for the lack of a remote for it, but this has saved the day. It does just what the website said it would, and arrived quickly.

Page: 1 | 2