Profile for Bemused > Reviews

Bad As Me
Bad As Me
Price: 11.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad is very good indeed, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Bad As Me (Audio CD)
ONE OF HIS BEST
Having been a Tom fan since the 1970s when Small Change was released, I always look forward to the new releases and am rarely disappointed. Having read a few reviews of this latest album, I wasn't too sure what to expect. Well what an album! Nothing out of the ordinary on the first few listenings and then it begins to hit you. The wonderful rhythms of the opening track, the stomping energy of the next and the wonderful tunefulness of next... and so it continues throughout. So what if some of the tracks remind us of songs gone by, he's not the first artist to rework old ideas and bring fresh energy to them. If you want to try some Tom Waits this is as good a place to start as any. It doesn't happen too often but at the moment,I can't stop playing it. It's always difficult to pick a favourite and I'm sure when I next listen to Swordfishtrombones or Mule Variations etc. I will change my mind,but at the moment this is my favourite Tom album. Buy it and love it.

Those The Brokes
Those The Brokes
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

1.0 out of 5 stars I haven't finished yet !, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Those The Brokes (Audio CD)
2 pretty catchy singles. That's about it. I really have tried very hard to listen to and like this album but each time I play it I have to switch it off after the first 4 tracks. I have even played the tracks in a different order but still I find myself cringing at the whining vocals and lack of any real tunes. It's a shame because along with their first album they have shown that they can create some good jangly tunes. But somewhere along the way they seem to get lost and meander off in all sorts of directions.
Please next time keep the tunes flowing.

The Magic Numbers
The Magic Numbers
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 4.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't see what all the fuss is about, 13 July 2010
This review is from: The Magic Numbers (Audio CD)
OK so there are 4 or 5 good catchy pop songs on this album. However, there are also 4 or 5 boring songs that seem to go nowhere very slowly. Take the best tracks from this album and their second album "those the brokes" and you will have a pretty decent album.
The main problem, apart from the lack of melody in some of the songs is in the vocals. They are not strong enough to carry the less bouncy songs.