Profile for Rabbid > Reviews

Content by Rabbid

Rabbid

Horse Handmade Leather Journal, 100% Cotton Pages (13cm x 23cm)
Horse Handmade Leather Journal, 100% Cotton Pages (13cm x 23cm)
Offered by CentralCrafts UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with this..... eventually., 19 Aug. 2014
This is a personal review and may not apply to most people.
I don't know what I was expecting with this purchase - I mean, I can read and everything but for some reason, even though I read '100% cotton hand made paper' I think I still expected pristine, smooth paper to write on. This is not the case. The paper is rough (but soft.. in fact, cotton soft) and lumpy-ish, and my first reaction was dissapointment. But... I love the leather binding and the book is so light - for it's size it should be three times heavier - something to think about if you carry it with you every day. As for the paper, well, I have grown to love it. I am always jotting down ideas, thoughts and what ever else enters my warped little head. I did not realise this before, but it seems to me that the prettier the paper, the more I try to make my writing presentable. To my shame, I am not a neat writer and I hate it when my scrawl spoils a nice clean page. The paper in this notebook does not lend it self to neatness - for me at least. Don't get me wrong.. another person with neat script could turn this notebook / journal into a work of art, just not me. The side effect of this means, instead of me using half of my brain to try and make my ideas look pretty on paper, I don't worry about about nice clean pages - because they are not nice clean pages to start with - instead I just write and write and write. My personal mental block has been quashed by this notebook and that makes me happy. As soon as I have filled this book, I shall be ordering another.

Leatherman Squirt ES4 Tool - Red
Leatherman Squirt ES4 Tool - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars My new Buddy!, 24 May 2014
I have a Leatherman wingman, a Victorinox Swiss tool X and a Gerber Dime, so I didn't really need another multi-tool - but the wire strippers instead of pliers caught my eye. And also, needing and wanting something are two different things.

It's small - keychain size, so it nicely fits in the little watch pocket in a pair of jeans.
I don't expect it to handle heavy tasks like the Swiss tool can, nor would I expect it to be as durable - it's so tiny! But it does feel substantial enough to not let you down when you need it.

I'm not an electrician, I brought this for the gadget factor. However, the day after I received this I have used it to rewire a plug, including stripping the wires and tightening all the screws. It did all that was asked of it. I have to admit though, I cut the plug off the lamp ONLY so I could use the squirt to wire the plug back on. The wife was not happy.
I have also used the scissors to trim a fingernail and the file to, well... file the nail to perfection. I don't usually cut my nails like this and I suspect I was looking for any excuse to use my squirt.

The squirt will not replace a set of proper tools or ever a decent full size multi-tool, but it's small enough to have with you at all times, not get in the way and will help out in a pinch.

I do like this tool, and it is all that I was hoping it would be. Just don't expect to be able to rebuild a car engine with this!
I am thinking of getting the pliers version now, but don't tell the Wife.

LAGUIOLE exotic wood handle knife, 22cm. Folding knife, stainless steel. The effective pocket knife, sharp and strong, decorated with the cross shepherd. Your day-to-day partner ! lg 22cm opened
Offered by laguiole-attitude

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 24 May 2014
I ordered this knife a couple of months ago not being sure if I'd like it or not. It's too big to legally carry in public without a valid reason but is non-locking - if I'm using this in my own home or at work then it might as well be a locking knife right?
But when it arrived and I opened the packaging, well, I fell in love. It is an elegant looking knife, looks well made and shows a certain level of attention to detail that you don't often see in the cheaper pocket knife. It's got a bit of weight to it so it has a quality feel to it, but it is not heavy by any means. The spring that holds the blade open feels secure but it is easy to close when you want to. The blade is sharp out of the box, but to be honest, I tend to re-sharpen the bevel to the angle best suited for the tasks I have in mind for the knife. that said, the blade did hold the edge well and also took the new bevel without any problems. I liked this knife so much I have brought a second one!
The first one I brought has opened many packages and letters, helped rewire a plug, done a bit of pruning, picked an offending stone out of my boot sole, turned countless blunt sticks into pointy ones (yes, I still do that), gently poke a scary looking alien thingy that turned out to be a wet leaf and many other tasks.
In the two weeks since I've had my newer one it has been assigned kitchen duties, helping me decimate the apple population on a daily basis, making a beef sandwich and some vegetable slicing.

I love this knife and have no hesitation in recommending it.