Profile for acc254 > Reviews

The White Queen [DVD]
The White Queen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rebecca Ferguson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing!, 4 July 2013
This review is from: The White Queen [DVD] (DVD)
I was looking forward to this series,when I first red the books (all of those available at time) I thought "what a fantastic series this will make, just what the BBC needs...", instead I got a sumptuous drivel of a series ( at least The Tudors could be taken with a pinch of salt), there was no need to add scenes that are not historically accurate or even in the books, I keep jumping in my seat saying " no, no, this is all wrong..." Where is Hastings? Why is Jacquetta of Luxembourg ( later Lady Rivers) not addressed as "Dowager Duchess of Bedford"? She never lost her title!
I have nothing to say about the actors, they are great, the blame on this failure must be with ambitious scriptwriters who decided that history is not interesting unless you add a bit of sex and sorcery.
Now, how am I going to explain to my daughter that Edward IV was not the murderer in cold blood of Elizabeth's husband at Towtown, that the dower was a petition because of her mother in law....I just hope that my daughter will go and read Professor Baldwin books.
shame on you BBC, you could have an I Claudius, instead you made a parody!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 5:08 PM BST

A Cottage by the Sea
A Cottage by the Sea
by Carole Matthews

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry...but, 3 April 2013
This review is from: A Cottage by the Sea (Paperback)
I love all your books Carole but "Smoke on the water" is not by Black Sabbath but by Deep Purple.

Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens
Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens
by Lisa Hilton

2.0 out of 5 stars Inacurate, 28 Jan. 2013
I was full of hope for this book, indeed I thought it was great until Catherine of Valois...Fair enough I had already thought it was a bit off handed,until page 385..."What become essential to Catherine's grandson Henry Tudor was that no one doubted the legitimacy of Catherine and Owen's marriage. HIS FATHER, HENRY VI..." er...really?
page 411..."...,and Henry managed to make his way to join them...", really? Did

I was looking forward for the earlier queens,but if the author can't be historically accurate for later queens I imagine that earlier queens are not really up front!

Just as an after thought...being "educated at Oxford" does not mean anything....and Ms Weir even though I enjoyed some of your books I think you need to revise a lot!!!.
OK now I'am not so sure., if all historical inaccuracies are anything to go by how can I be sure that the earlier queens are accurate?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2013 3:07 PM BST

The Swallow and the Tom Cat: A Love Story
The Swallow and the Tom Cat: A Love Story
by Jorge Amado

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful childen's book., 11 Dec. 2011
A rare gem from Jorge Amado, a beautiful story, for children and adults who like this fantastic author.Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nina Campbell Paperback Lined Journal (Cico01)
Nina Campbell Paperback Lined Journal (Cico01)
by CICO Books
Edition: Journal

5.0 out of 5 stars really nice, 24 Nov. 2011
really nice journal, just what I needed to write down my bits and bobs, beautiful cover and inside pages with drawings of flowers and butterflies.

La Cage aux Folles [DVD] [1978]
La Cage aux Folles [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Ugo Tognazzi
Offered by 101Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very funny, 21 Nov. 2011
This is the best French comedy, don't worry about subtitles, it is worth it also after watching this you'll never bother to watch the American remake The Birdcage again as it is so inferior.

Nana (Oxford World's Classics)
Nana (Oxford World's Classics)
by Émile Zola

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 21 Nov. 2011
One of Zola's best books, The story of Nana's rise and fall is very moving, even if the writer is a a 19 century French existentialist, and also very shocking, after all it is the story of an actress/prostitute,
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 7:18 PM BST

Calvin Klein Contradiction Eau de Parfum for Women - 50 ml
Calvin Klein Contradiction Eau de Parfum for Women - 50 ml
Offered by UK Fragrance Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Contradiction, 16 Nov. 2011
Contradiction is my favourite Calvin Klein fragrance, it is very hard to find, thanks to Amazon I now have it. I also added it to my Wish List so that I know where to get some more once this is over.

The King's Speech [DVD]
The King's Speech [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Mr Firth., 15 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The King's Speech [DVD] (DVD)
A brilliant performance by all actors but Colin Firth is excellent, a well deserved Oscar. A truly great performance by Helena Bonham Carter as the Queen Mother as well as Geoffrey Rush as the therapist. In the synopsis this film is described as "The story of King George VI of Britain, his impromptu ascension to the throne and the speech therapist who helped the unsure monarch become worthy of it."